• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question regarding midi controller for pipe organ

Share/Bookmark

Question regarding midi controller for pipe organ

I am in the market for a digital setup for a pipe organ. I want a system with two keyboards and 32 pedals. I really would like a bare bones midi setup that I could plug into gigastudio, however every organ I\'ve found that has 32 pedals has an enormous price tag and a great deal of things I just don\'t want. I\'m not looking for a large powerful instrument. I am looking for a practice instrument. Does anyone out there know of anything that fits this description?

Re: Question regarding midi controller for pipe organ

If you can find suitable stands or a cabinet it is just a matter of connecting two keyboards and a 32 note MIDI pedalboard to your computer. Decide on the size of your keyboards, 48, 61 or 88 keys and any mix of these you desire and away you go. All of these items are avail. used from time to time.

Good luck, chuck

Once again, check the Wendy Carlos website, she made a custom midi organ setup with simple keyboards and custom built pedal board;
    Wendy\'s website

She\'s using 4 Kurzweil K2500\'s as controllers and sound source!

I recently sold a couple of cheap alternatives to a client who is very happy with this midi controller Miditech It is cheap, 61 keys and has minimal extra midi switches and controllers.

On Wendy\'s website you will also find links to pedal board solutions.

Another friend of mine, Martin Dyde also did research:
    Hauptwerk website.
    One of the most interesting companies would be Classic Organ Works

Hope this helps.

This is a setup from Classic Organ works where the laptop could be replaced by a Gigastation.

Thanks Michiel,

That pedalboard looks exactly like what I\'m after. I couldn\'t for the life of me find it. Thanks for pointing it out.

John

You could try http://www.hauptwerk.co.uk who have some suggestions as do several contributors on \"the organ web ring\".

Perhaps the cheapest way is to search out the ads in some of the classical organ mags where they are selling secondhand electronic church organs. Usually the reason for this is that the owner has opted for a better and more up to date model and just wants shot of the cumbersome furniture.

The sound producing parts are poften old 8 bit low quality but often as not, all the midi requirements are there and many cases this will extend to stop and piston control.

The only slight downside is that everything is likely to be channel specific so that Ch 1 will equal the Swell, Ch 4 will equal the Pedal etc. and on some models the stop controls may only control logic dependent chips in the original electronics and thus have no input to midi control messages.

I use a similar setup myself with a 12 year old Ahlborn/Lipp.

The alternative which I am considering is to get 3 or 4 cheap contoller keyboards such as the Evolution ones and attach the key switching components to decent wooden keyboards from the likes of Lauckuff or Kimber Allen.

Some manufacturers of digital church organs may be willing to sell you just the keyboards and pedalboard and I know that David Cuttill of Viscount Organs in England has supplied several sets to friends for a few hundred pounds.

Go Back to forum