• Register
  • Help

Topic: Something Ethnic Again

Something Ethnic Again

Break from all the orchestral stuff:

Singkil II

Here\'s an ethnic cut that I\'ve just made. It\'s inspired by an ethnic moslem dance of the same title (without the \'II\') from Southern Philippines.

Libs that I used are from EthnoWorld, G-town woodsticks, BolderSounds washer-dryer, Roland XP-30, and the anklung is my baby. The EthnoWorld stuff were converted to Kontakt which is easier to work with along Sonar 3. Reverb is SIR.

I can\'t figure out how to mix it properly: my problem is that it sounds too \'thin\' compared to other mixes that I hear over here. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Something Ethnic Again

I\'m not a person who should give mixing advice... but I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this piece. Very nice! My girlfriend often listens to Lou Harrison\'s music while she paints. I\'ll have to save this one for her. I\'m sure she\'ll love it.

Thanks, Dana! I hope your girlfriend will like it.

As for the mixing problem, I guess I\'ll just have to wait till somebody comes to the rescue.

Nice piece Nhick. It builds nicely. The mix sounded fine to me although subjectively I\'d have preferred a bit more room on everything.

Very cool tune. Love the metallics. They seem to have plenty of low end with my sub woofer set up. For the instrumentation it seems right. If I was mixing it I might open up the stereo image a bit but that\'s minor.
    Cool stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I\'ll be working on the music this weekend, hopefully.

I am having a hard time deciding about the \'room\'. If I try to add more, the lower frequencies freak out like thick soup all over the whole place.

Regarding opening up the stereo field a bit more, should I do that by re-panning everything or by applying stereo expander on the whole mix? What I would like to do also is to add more depth so that the instruments don\'t sound as if they are all at the front edge of the stage. That\'s where I get confused: how do I measure the right amount of room, pre-delay, damping, etc. when applying reverb?

Yeah, it\'s all about the room, I guess. It\'s like I know what I want but I don\'t know how to get it...

Again, many thanks!

Go Back to forum