• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's the most efficient use of Hard Disk Space?? Also does SConverter waste space??

Share/Bookmark

What\'s the most efficient use of Hard Disk Space?? Also does SConverter waste space??

I am worried that my 30 gig Hard drive is going to get eaten up too quickly.

I\'m not too clear on how Giga locates instruments and the waveforms they belong to.

My hope is that once you have the waveforms somewhere on your hard disk, Gigastudio is smart enough to always use that set for any patch you load into a performance - even if you change things like case properties.

On my old EmuII, once I had a sample in I could even copy that sample ten times and use different loops and truncation without using up any more hard disk space. This was because the eMU only used pointers to the original sample to make every subsequent copy. Of course it meant I had to do more erasing to completely clear that sample out of memory and regain the space - but it was worth it.

I have the nasty feeling that if you put a 500 meg string patch in a few instruments with different attack times in case properties, that you\'ll see 1.5 gb used up.

Can someone tell me I\'m wrong please?

Also - is there some way to avoid this syndrome I\'ve heard of where conversion of an Akai sample disk records redundant samples over to gig files several times?

I don\'t quite follow this, but I assume people are saying that, even though twenty patches on an Akai CDrom can use the same set of samples, when converting to .gig files the S Converter actually makes a complete copy of that single sample set twenty times - Once for each patch!!!

If this is true, people will run out of Hard Disk very quickly if lots of their library is Akai.

Please tell me I\'m an idiot and have no clue...

Re: What\'s the most efficient use of Hard Disk Space?? Also does SConverter waste space??

I haven\'t tried the my new version of the sconverter that came with giga studio yet.
    But when I converted akai through the sconverter that came with the old giga sampler ,after the samples were converted they would become 2 to 3 times larger . So a 650 meg cd converted could turn into 1300 meg and more memory after converted through the sconverter.
    I hope they fixed that problem in the new sconverter.

Re: What\'s the most efficient use of Hard Disk Space?? Also does SConverter waste space??

As you said, Akai shared samples across the disk. SConvert extracts individual gigs from each patch on the Akai disk. It has to save the wav information in each file. I see where there is an option to save multiple patches into a single gig file, so this may reduce disk usage...

Go Back to forum