• Register
  • Help

Topic: ARIA PLAYER - Control Volume with Velocity rather than Mod Wheel

Share/Bookmark

ARIA PLAYER - Control Volume with Velocity rather than Mod Wheel

Hello,

I am using ARIA Player w/ JABB3 on Logic 9.1.8

Using ARIA Player (JABB3 in my case) I would like to be able to control an instrument's volume coincidentally with the velocity. Although the Mod Wheel does this at the moment (independently, not coincidentally of course), I'm working on several projects whereby having these functions married in the velocity would both save me a lot of time as well as enhance my experience with ARIA Player allowing my to perform (on a keyboard) all the parts with the correct levels).

I have noticed some forums talking about 'transformers' in the Logic's environment window, and although I have tried to make sense of the information; I don't seem to be quite as technical minded and I'm presumably finding something fundamentally hard to grasp.

I hope I have explained my query clearly, and hopefully someone can help!

Cheers.

Re: ARIA PLAYER - Control Volume with Velocity rather than Mod Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by bloodroyal View Post
    Hello,

I am using ARIA Player w/ JABB3 on Logic 9.1.8

Using ARIA Player (JABB3 in my case) I would like to be able to control an instrument's volume coincidentally with the velocity. Although the Mod Wheel does this at the moment (independently, not coincidentally of course), I'm working on several projects whereby having these functions married in the velocity would both save me a lot of time as well as enhance my experience with ARIA Player allowing my to perform (on a keyboard) all the parts with the correct levels).

I have noticed some forums talking about 'transformers' in the Logic's environment window, and although I have tried to make sense of the information; I don't seem to be quite as technical minded and I'm presumably finding something fundamentally hard to grasp.

I hope I have explained my query clearly, and hopefully someone can help!

Cheers.
    I've come to learn that velocity is used to change the attack sound of the instrument. For instance, on a trumpet the higher the velocity the more it gives you a 'ta' attack sound, where the lower velocities produce a more legato attack.

Yes absolutely.

Perhaps my wording wasn't quite clear in so much as, I 'm aware of the effect of both the Velocity (for timbral velocity) and Mod Wheel (for volume); but what I would like is to have the Mod Wheel's Volume to be controlled by the velocity also.

What you're wanting is for JABB to behave in a standard General MIDI way, with volume only controlled by velocity. I believe that would call for editing the SFZ files, using Opcodes to program the samples to respond to velocity values 0-127, and for it to ignore CC1 (or 11, or 2) for volume control. Having said that - I don't know exactly what that SFZ re-writing would consist of. When I've wanted to change something in Garritan instruments, I've always needed to look around online for SFZ editing advice.

Have you considered using an Expression Pedal instead of the Mod Wheel? I'm guessing that you want to use both hands on the keyboard, so you don't have your left hand free for the Mod Wheel.

CC11, Expression, is interpreted by ARIA in exactly the same way as CC1, so it's the main alternate volume controller, CC2 for wind controllers being the other. I use an Expression Pedal instead of a Mod Wheel, and it works great for me.

There used to be a plug-in made by "TenCrazy" which accomplished what you want, but I think it was designed for Sonar - and I'm pretty sure it's no longer compatible.

I want to point out a major disadvantage you would have with no dynamic volume control like what CC1 or 11 gives you: Control of volume on sustained notes would no longer be available. Having the volume increase, decrease, or fluctuate during the life of a sustained note is a major factor in making samples sound more natural--.

Randy

Bloodroyal.... BLOODROYAL??? You chose yourself quite a grand sounding nickname

Anyway, some time ago I felt I got your same issue and worked out a way to achieve this kind of behavior in some patches I made me.

Randy above is right on everything he mentions: in order to achieve such behavior one has to re-program the instruments' sfz files, and, yes, sustained instruments just work best when one has some way to impact on the volume of the instrument in real time (and with the note already triggered). But I am sure you already are aware of this last point.
    The sfz files of the instruments are in the "instruments" folder of your JABB installation. You can open them with notepad or any other text editor.... they are plain text files.
    Once in an instrument, the instructions (sfz standard calls these "opcodes") of interest are basically two: "amp_veltrack", that rules the way volume reacts to velocity, and "amplitude_oncc1", which set the way volume reacts to cc1 (the mod wheel). According to the standard JABB programming, sustained instruments have amp_veltrack to 0 (zero) and amplitude_oncc1 to 100. Which translates in no reaction to volume according to incoming velocity and full volume range according to cc1. Experimenting with these two parameters one can get a custom behavior and even a "mixed" behavior, which is what I was looking for. The numerical values one can specify as arguments to both opcodes are percentages, which is the percentages of volume variation according to the velocity/cc1 value applied. It is good to have one main controller that modulates at 100%, so you can bottom out if needed, and the other as an auxiliary one to make adjustments. I use cc1 at 100 and amp_veltrack as needed.
    Note that in order to achieve homogenous behavior one has to adjust every single recurrence of the opcodes. Usually there are many in a garritan's sfz file, as there are several layers of behavior coded in the same sfz file (sustained, legato etc etc).
    For a straightforward approach to eliminate any cc1 influence and do everything by velocity, just remove any
    "amplitude_oncc1=100 amplitude_smoothcc1=## amplitude_curvecc1=##" block of opcodes and substitute it with amp_veltrack=100.

Hope to have been helpful. Good luck if you decide to enter the tweaking path... and remember, always back up the original files so if you make a mess it will be easy to come back.

Fabry

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Bloodroyal.... BLOODROYAL??? You chose yourself quite a grand sounding nickname

Anyway, some time ago I felt I got your same issue and worked out a way to achieve this kind of behavior in some patches I made me.

Randy above is right on everything he mentions: in order to achieve such behavior one has to re-program the instruments' sfz files, and, yes, sustained instruments just work best when one has some way to impact on the volume of the instrument in real time (and with the note already triggered). But I am sure you already are aware of this last point.
    The sfz files of the instruments are in the "instruments" folder of your JABB installation. You can open them with notepad or any other text editor.... they are plain text files.
    Once in an instrument, the instructions (sfz standard calls these "opcodes") of interest are basically two: "amp_veltrack", that rules the way volume reacts to velocity, and "amplitude_oncc1", which set the way volume reacts to cc1 (the mod wheel). According to the standard JABB programming, sustained instruments have amp_veltrack to 0 (zero) and amplitude_oncc1 to 100. Which translates in no reaction to volume according to incoming velocity and full volume range according to cc1. Experimenting with these two parameters one can get a custom behavior and even a "mixed" behavior, which is what I was looking for. The numerical values one can specify as arguments to both opcodes are percentages, which is the percentages of volume variation according to the velocity/cc1 value applied. It is good to have one main controller that modulates at 100%, so you can bottom out if needed, and the other as an auxiliary one to make adjustments. I use cc1 at 100 and amp_veltrack as needed.
    Note that in order to achieve homogenous behavior one has to adjust every single recurrence of the opcodes. Usually there are many in a garritan's sfz file, as there are several layers of behavior coded in the same sfz file (sustained, legato etc etc).
    For a straightforward approach to eliminate any cc1 influence and do everything by velocity, just remove any
    "amplitude_oncc1=100 amplitude_smoothcc1=## amplitude_curvecc1=##" block of opcodes and substitute it with amp_veltrack=100.

Hope to have been helpful. Good luck if you decide to enter the tweaking path... and remember, always back up the original files so if you make a mess it will be easy to come back.

Fabry
    This is some really interesting advice. I will definitely look into this. I also totally appreciate the sfz issues, and in fact think perhaps I just need to do something as simple as 'get better at using the mod wheel'.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I am new to the forum and was not expecting so much help from people!

Cheers

Go Back to forum