• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Yamaha\Zero-G vocal VSTI in the works

Share/Bookmark

New Yamaha\\Zero-G vocal VSTI in the works

Don\'t know about this one: a new Yamaha\\Zero-G vocalist VSTI. You type text into a sequencer-like interface, choose the voice characteristics, and it sings the part. The two included voices are soul voices. More are to come.

Says the voices are \"based on\" real voices, so it may be using synthesized samples:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/Vocaloid.html

Re: New Yamaha\\Zero-G vocal VSTI in the works

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    Don\'t know about this one: a new Yamaha\\Zero-G vocalist VSTI. You type text into a sequencer-like interface, choose the voice characteristics, and it sings the part. The two included voices are soul voices. More are to come.

Says the voices are \"based on\" real voices, so it may be using synthesized samples:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/Vocaloid.html
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There\'s much more information here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=ZG-V1

This is pretty exciting new technology that has a lot of potential!

Btw, Zero-G now have a forum here at NS.

- Doug

There\'s a demo of a song (\"Little Bird\") using the voices for pop backing vocals at the zero-g site. Hard to tell much about them, since the harmony is close and lead vocal always extends past the backups. Sounds convincing when used this way, I have to admit. Of course, we can\'t tell much until we hear the vocals in an exposed setting.

They plan to release a demo version, it appears.

This product gives me hope, in any case, that we\'ll soon see a program that can read text in a voice that sounds more human than the voices that are now used.

Yep, very powerful stuff.
    I had a Yamaha demo during the Musikmesse 2003 and was very impressed. They did a live demo with a voice model based on the Japanes vocal system (both female and male).
    For solo voice it sounded a bit strange (we\'re not used to Japanese singers) and very real but for backing tracks it was superb. I expect to hear a lot of this when it\'s released.
    Also the programming is very simple; just type in the words, the pitches and start adding vibrato, articulations and there it is.

BTW they were running it on a plain laptop.

My worry is that to make this fast and small, there will be a lot of interpolation. (Surely they haven\'t sampled a singer singng every vowel and consonant at every pitch.)

But I\'m looking forward to more demos.

andyt

I remember there was a brief discussion about this about 9 months ago after the first Yamaha demos ... and if I recall correctly people were pretty dismissive of it... someone said the demos reminded them of Chipmunks.

Doug, have you heard Lola ?
    Have you heard any of Zero-Gs other libraries ?

My worry is that to make this fast and small, there will be a lot of interpolation. (Surely they haven\'t sampled a singer singng every vowel and consonant at every pitch.)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The work goes much deeper than just \"every vowel and consonant at every pitch\". If that was all there was to it, we would have announced twenty products, not three! In fact the raw material needed, even before the real work begins, is every permutation and combination (i.e. every possible transition) between vowel-vowel, vowel-consonant, consonant-vowel, and consonant-consonant that could ever occur naturally in English singing. AND all that had to be recorded at multiple pitches across the whole of the singers\' range. Then, once all that has been captured, the real slog begins. Every one of the resulting 10,000 or so \'articulations\' had to be individually converted into the frequency domain, trimmed accurately (knowing where to cut them is a painfully acquired skill) and processed via a complex procedure (once a programmer is up to speed and slick at what he\'s doing this still takes around 10 minutes for EACH articulation). Only by literally cracking the genetic code in this way and effectively cataloging the genome of the sung English language, is it possible to give the user a true virtual singer. Yamaha spent many years developing this technology, and it takes a skilled team many months to create each vocal font.
    The really exciting thing about Vocaloid however is the way it synthesizes the smooth sustains, the superb legato and melismas, and the expressivness and realism in the way vibrato can be used. For this reason, realistic backing vocals are a breeze, even in complex harmonies. When you have spent some time creating BVs with this tool, you\'ll already know you got fantastic value for money, and that\'s even before you move on to creating the more exposed lead vocals with more complex lyrics - a process that requires more patience and a steeper learning curve but can truly produce astounding and fascinating results (NOT chipmunks - though it can do that too).

Will this work on a Mac? The web site only lists Windows requirements.

I liked the demo song harmonies. I agree that they don\'t remind me of Alvin at all. Of course, I\'ll be looking forward to hearing more demos.

Will there be what we would usually call velocity layers--different samples, in this case, for various amounts of air from the lungs? Julie London soft and close to the mic had a very different timbre from when she was a foot away.

(I was so sad when I discovered, only yesterday, that Julie London died in 1980--I was under the impression that she was still alive and retired in L.A. I don\'t think any of the local papers here in Atlanta or the national media noted her passing. What a terrible loss. Another blow against everything good.)

My mistake, I realized right after posting the above--Julie London died in October of 2000. (And I\'d only heard her music for the first time about two years earlier.)

Go Back to forum