• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Comparison of the Bos VSTI and The Grand

Share/Bookmark

Comparison of the Bos VSTI and The Grand

Can anyone who has both the Post Bosendorfer and the Steinberg Grand offer a comparison? (Someone who has The Grand working well--I understand that you need a lot of fire power and the most recent update to get it going.)

Re: Comparison of the Bos VSTI and The Grand

OK I did it (see my post below)

I picked the Mozart Fantasie that Steinberg has a product demo on their website. The Grand demo is performed live on the Grand, I used a popular midi file that I rendered unaltered on the PMI Bos290 plug-in. I added a little Wave Arts Masterverb on the PMI Bos to get a comparable amount of reverb on both demos.
    The interpretation of the performance is rather different but you can get a good impression of the sound differences as well.

The Grand: from the Steinberg website:
    The Grand Fantasie in D min

PMI Bosendoirfer 290 Plug-In:
    PMI Bos290 Fantasie in D min

Hi

I don\'t think there\'s ever been an easier question to answer on this forum!

PMI...... anyday of the week! The Grand sounds like a good sampled piano, PMI Bosendorfer sounds like a real piano... period.

In terms of sound, The Grand sounds fairly thin compared to the (very) warm PMI.

Only my opinions but hope this helps!

Ty

No one else on this one?

I have The Grand but not the PMI unfortunately. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So cant offer comparisons.

My problems with The Grand (crackles, pops) didnt go away until I popped a gig of ram in.

Generally I am really happy with The Grand but honestly have not had any experience with other smaples piano lib\'s to make a comparison.

The harshness of The Grand (to my ears) can be useful for cutting through a busy rock mix, for example, but in terms of realism and sheer quality, the Bosendorfer is miles ahead.

It\'s without question the best sampled piano I\'ve tried. I have found the Kompakt version to be fairly cpu intensive, but as you mention, so is The Grand...

It\'s worth pointing out that a good piano can be made to sound bad by using a crappy reverb on it. I generally use the dry Bosendorfer and Classic Verb on the TC Powercore. Hope that\'s useful.

I have The Grand but not the Bosendorfer. The Grand has 4 settings one of which is \"soft\" - I find myself using this most of time as when you apply a lot of reverb (I use Ambience for this) you can get that Thomas Newman piano effect well. I also had the same problems as Scott (see above) until I put in a gig of ram.

So somebody had to do it: The Grand vs PMI Bos290

I picked the Mozart Fantasie that Steinberg has a product demo on their website. The Grand demo is performed live on the Grand, I used a popular midi file that I rendered unaltered on the PMI Bos290 plug-in. I added a little Wave Arts Masterverb on the PMI Bos to get a comparable amount of reverb on both demos.
    The interpretation of the performance is rather different but you can get a good impression of the sound differences as well.

The Grand: from the Steinberg website:
    The Grand Fantasie in D min

PMI Bosendoirfer 290 Plug-In:
    PMI Bos290 Fantasie in D min

Hi, I have the Grand and just today received the Bosendorfer
    Only played around for a little while, all I can say is I wont be using the Grand much anymore.
    It comes with the kompakt player so we\'ll have to wait to use it on my new Mac G5 as my Dual500 G4 with 1 gig is having a hard time( I have been playing with the 16 layers programs)
    You won\'t regret it if you get this one

Michiel:

Do you know if your BOS VSTI will work in Win98 or Win98SE? (A similar question was asked in another thread about GPO, and the asker was referred to the NI site. I\'m not sure an answer was reached.)

Thanks.

Go Back to forum