• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Orchestra Explained

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Orchestra Explained

There's a very active Forum "lurker" who has tried for years to get his account working here, but to no avail. He's not able to log on and post. He's tried opening new accounts, but he's always blocked and unable to join in. - It's a mystery I've tried unsuccessfully to help him with.

He sent me the link to a Groove 3 video tutorial he recently bought because he thinks it's really good, and asked me to share it with everyone here. From visiting the website, it looks to me like a great bargain at just $20.

Garritan Orchestra Explained

It covers both GPO and Instant Orchestra, that's why it's called just "Garritan Orchestra Explained" rather than "GPO Explained."

"Presented by music guru Eli Krantzberg, this series is all about Garritan Instant and Personal Orchestra virtual instruments. Follow along with Eli as he covers these stunning virtual libraries in the powerful ARIA player inside and out."

Subjects include:

• The ARIA Player Interface
    • Performance Controls
    • Solo Woodwind Controls
    • Ensemble Building
    • Solo Brass

And a lot more.

Randy

Re: Garritan Orchestra Explained

Seems like he wants to sell his great accomplishment here. Only the "Introduction" is free.

Is this legal at this Forum?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 25.5, DORICO 1.2.10, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.51, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Seems like he wants to sell his great accomplishment here. Only the "Introduction" is free.

Is this legal at this Forum?

Jack
    --Wow, why so grumpy, Jack? - The Forum visitor who sent me the info didn't do this video - He just recently bought it, finds it really useful, and wanted me to pass it on here at the Forum since he's unable to log on and post on his own.

Groove 3, which produced this tute, is a very well known company specializing in excellent tutorials, so this isn't a fly-by-night rip-off of some sort.

As far as what's "legal" on the Forum - Hmm, well I've never seen anything Forbidding a post like this, and it hadn't even occurred to me it would be anything but possibly interesting to members here.

The post is fine. It's there for anyone to investigate if they'd like.

EDIT - But I've now edited my first post, adding the price - I didn't mean for the listing to be misleading.

Randy

The video introduction makes it look interesting as a helpful "how to video". It certainly reinforces what has taken me months to figure out myself. I know, I know RTMS (Read the Manual Stupid! I sort of changed if from its normal distasteful anagram).

I just wonder if there is enough useful information for someone like me who has been into the development of ARIA after having worked in Kontakt for the beginning of GPO. The topics do give me some thoughts that I could reinforce and maybe glean some new information about the ARIA player and engine. Hmmm... without some samplings from the other topics or at least an outline of other chapters, It is hard to tell.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Sorry to mislead you Randy. I read the thread hastily and didn't realize or see that the person wanting to have this educational information brought to our attention was a mystery person. I thought it was the seller (Groove 3)....LOL As far as the legal issue of "selling" something on the Garritan Forum is concerned, it kind of struck a "chord" (no pun intended) from long ago when I read that no products were allowed to be sold at the Forum. Maybe I misinterpreted that too. Sorry if I did.

I might add that, I along with RichR, looked at the "Introduction" video and felt that Groove 3 did a magnificent job of introducing the Garritan ARIA Player. If all the videos are as comprehensive as that one, this may be a great chance for a number of people (for only $20) to peruse the Garritan GPO Library videos (GPO and Instant Orchestra) and also to use them as research vehicles for later use. I also noticed that there were numerous educational videos covering virtually every DAW on the market. I'm sure they are also as good as the Garritan GPO videos.

I, like RichR, am a little skeptical about the value or comprehensiveness of the "whole" Garritan GPO video series, but, hey, for $20, I think it's worth the investment to find out.

Thanks,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 25.5, DORICO 1.2.10, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.51, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi, Jack - I appreciate your update. Yesterday I could see you had a misunderstanding about who had requested this thread. And you're right, this looks like a great tutorial - Groove 3 is highly respected. I have their tutes on Sonar X which are solid, professional material sincerely helping users move through the maze of using complicated music programs. They cover almost any music software you can name.

You're also right that it's not as if we want the Forum to become spammed out with questionable material aimed at using the Forum as a market place. And I do think something of this caliber, this Groove 3 tute, is something that the visitors to our Forum could benefit knowing about, so it's worth having this sort of thing be an exception to the rule.

Thanks again.
    Randy

Randy:

Did you go for the "download" or buy a disc for Sonar X, or did you make your own backup disc as is outlined on the Groove 3 website?

I'm a firm believer that there are A LOT of people that have purchased GPO and Instant Orchestra that would like to have this kind of tute. This would level the playing field for the newer folks that are so interested and enamored with Gary's GPO libraries. And, the investment is so nominal. A great way to go.

Actually, if the GPO tute (GPO and I/O combined) was available for the premiere of Instant Orchestra, it would have been a real educational tool in addition to the fine User's Manual that Gary created. I also think it would have been a great motivator for I/O owners to also purchase GPO. Too bad that there weren't a lot of folks on our Forum that knew about this exciting educational offer before your post. Not too late, though, to take advantage of this offer.

What boggles my mind is the number of hours it took to create all of the tutes available at Groove 3. Those guys are tough to beat.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    ...Did you go for the "download" or buy a disc for Sonar X, or did you make your own backup disc as is outlined on the Groove 3 website?...
    I bought X1 as a download - In 2011 there was a promotion to upgrade to Sonar 8.5 with the then up-coming X1 free when it was released. When it came out later, and I'd downloaded it, I made my own backup disc - but I don't know what went wrong with it. When I upgraded my computer and had to re-install everything, the backup disc didn't work. No sweat though - Cakewalk keeps links to your downloads on your profile page, so if I ever needed or wanted to get X1 again, I could get it there, and then the updates also.

Buuuuut - In a word, I "loathe" X1. Gave it a good try for a couple of months, couldn't make it work for me. Slower work flow, clumsy interface, way too many things suddenly hidden in menus, --the list goes on. I couldn't stand the way it looked when I first opened it, all black and white and with HUGE visuals that didn't even fit on my screen . It still looks to me like a college software designing project with no better than a C grade given to it, so blocky, boring, childish looking, like a cheap kid's program of some sort. But that's the least of it. --I just can't take it. So I still use Sonar 8.5.3 - the last great Cakewalk program.

Randy

I agree with you Randy. I tried a demo of Sonar X1 and X2... I am not happy with the interface either. Like you said hard to fit everything on the screen. Sonar X1 was terrible for midi editing... they destroyed it IMO. I even tried to give it another try with my purchase of Music Creator 6 which uses the same interface... but it's just not working for me. At least in X2 they fixed the midi editing, but the interface is quite annoying. I am also using Sonar 8 and refuse to upgrade.

Go Back to forum