• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO or EWQL for 'beginner'?

Share/Bookmark

GPO or EWQL for \'beginner\'?

Hello,

I have been making music strictly by ear for 14 years using guitars, drum machines, synthesizers, etc. I\'ve recently become more interested in orchestral composing and have been checking the latest full orchestra sample libraries. I need to start out small, so I\'m looking at the GPO and the EWQL (Silver) to start out with. Which one might be better for someone in my position? I\'ve had a lot of fun in the past using looped orchestral samples but want to attain a richer and more accurate sound. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Chris Rimby

ps Laptop compatibility is important too...I will be traveling a lot this winter.

Re: GPO or EWQL for \'beginner\'?

Do you currently have a sequencer program? What kind of music do you do or would like to try? Just a couple questions to ask yourself. If you don\'t have a sequencer or notation program, then GPO would be the way to go as these are included with the library. The library was designed for students and hobbyists just getting into MIDI orchestrations and for professionals who want a quick sketch pad.

Unfortunately, there\'s no demos of the QLSO Silver as of yet to get an idea of what the library is capable of. More demos for GPO will be posted soon.

GPO and/or QLSO Silver should be great for your needs. Too bad we don\'t have the Silver demos and details just yet. I\'m going to wait a bit more before I choose which one I\'ll get first.

For my evaluation, I\'ll be looking at the holes in my libraries, and I\'ll judge those instrument sounds most critically. Imagine which will be your go-to instruments, and do the same.

With your experience, don\'t be afraid of having a lot of articulations and controls available. You can always grab the violin-sustain patch and go with that, but later you may want more inflections at the ready. GPO is a bit simplified here, but the results are still darn good. I\'m not sure if Silver will be more or less simple. More complexity gives more room to grow.

The last consideration is for your laptop. I don\'t know how much RAM your laptop supports, but this is the critical measure. If it\'s starved get the more scaled-down of the two options.

I hear that any QLSO Silver midi files will play the Gold and Platinum libs without (significant) change. That\'s a nice consideration if you forsee getting a desktop with Gold in the future. Compose on the Silver laptop. Render on the Gold desktop.

For now GPO has the advantage. The demos are out, it\'s $50 cheaper and it\'s shipping. But I\'m being patient and $50 isn\'t that big a deal.

Hi,

I\'m in almost the same position as you except that I don\'t have a laptop. I would like to which library (GPO or QLSO) is more user friendly... (which of course is very subjective..)

</font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Will I have to load violin legato on track 1 and staccato on track 2 or can I use keyswitches?</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Is it doable to add other instruments from other libraries? Or to use instruments from the orchestra in another setting? For example, adding your own percussion or using the cello\'s in a rock song?</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    The layout of QLSO Silver probably won\'t be very different from QLSO Platinum, so could any Platinum user tell us how these things work in Platinum??

Thanks,
    Tom

Wait a couple of days. GPO is shipping, so there should be some actual user reviews soon. Silver has only been announced as a \"concept,\" with few details and no demos even though it is supposed to ship in 2 days. If there is no info posted for Silver in the next couple of days, and/or if it doesn\'t ship on Friday as promised, that might bias your decision.

I would recommend having separate tracks for legato, staccato, pizzicato, etc. for either GPO or QLSO. GPO does have some keyswitches but I still like to have the separate tracks for better balance control and flexibility.

Here are two questions to consider:

Do you have a sequencer?

Do you have a notation program?

If the answer is no to both, then it might be better to start with GPO since GPO comes with a notation engine (Overture) and Cubasis 4.0. Using Cubasis 4.0, you can also install Silver and since it\'s VSTi, it will operate in Cubasis with no problem.
    http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/garritan/personalorchestra/index.shtml

If the answer is you HAVE a sequencing program, then the deciding point will be sound of the library. For that, wait for the Silver demos.
    http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/ewqlso/silver.shtml

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies. I\'ll wait until everything is shipping with demos and then try make a decision then.

Chris Rimby

Originally posted by Haydn:
    I would recommend having separate tracks for legato, staccato, pizzicato, etc. for either GPO or QLSO. GPO does have some keyswitches but I still like to have the separate tracks for better balance control and flexibility.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Haydn, thanks for the reply. But I don\'t see in what way it\'s more flexible. I would say it\'s less flexable because when I\'m composing and I want to switch to a different articulation, I will have to change a lot more than when I would only have to press a key. And that it gives more balance control, that\'s right, but that shouldn\'t really be necessary in QLSO because wasn\'t everything mixed already? Could you tell us how you use it so it is more flexible? Maybe I just don\'t use it in the right way..

Thanks,
    Tom

Like Chris - the original poster - I\'ve recently taken an interest in getting hold of a decent set of orchestral sounds for two reasons;

One, to extend the palette of sounds/instruments I use in my current (synthesizer based) music and two, to experiment with a more \'classical\' form of music. (apologies if I\'m not using the right word here). So in pursuit of the latter I\'m now trying to pick up where my \'grade 5\' theory left off - reading books from the library recommend by others on this forum (Copland, Adler,Piston, et al).

For me one of the exciting things about GPO is it\'s potential ease of use. From garriton.com:
    Personal Orchestra allows you to create realistic sounding orchestral music quickly and easily, right \"out of the box.\" No confusing list of articulations, no complicated set of controls, ...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To me the demos posted sound really good and I hope to read reviews shortly that will show whether it achieves it\'s ambition of being easy to use.

Best wishes to all
    -Andrew

Go Back to forum