• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: operating system

Share/Bookmark

operating system

Which is the best operation system for the GigaStudio (running on a dedicated machine - no sequencer or Internet):
    Win95-b, Win98SE or Win98lite?

mihmar

Re: operating system

I\'d be very interested in an \'official\' response to this question.

Additionally, is it ok to install the lite version over a bloated normal install, or do you install the lite from scratch.

Hi
    Unless theres another version of 98 lite .
    When I went to the internet site and downloaded it the only option avalible was to install the full version of win 98 and then use the 98 lite to take out optional stuff to make it less bloated.the whole 98 lite program was small enough to fit on a 1.44 floppy disc.

thank you,

where can I find (download) the 98lite?

By the way,
    what do you guys are using?

mihmar

Download at: http://www.98lite.net/products.html

98lite really frees up CPU. I would love to buy the professional micro version but they don\'t seem to like my credit card...

thanks Cheez,

but what is the difference between the 98lite and the professional one?

mihmar

The free version does not include the 98micro option which really strips Windows 98 down to the bare minimal. You can find more info at their web-site.

I\'m not sure about others, but I find Windows 98 much more stable after removing internet explorer etc and running on the Windows 95 shell. Hope it works for you, mihmar.

P.S.
    I see Cheez is using the win 95 shell, just wondering if that is the common consenses.

Also I don\'t understand how the bloated win 98 can be using you CPU when it\'s[internet explorer] not running .
    Cheez said you can free up some of your CPU if you install the win 95 shell?
    Im not doubting your right , I just don\'t understand it.thanks , Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenn159:
    P.S.
    I see Cheez is using the win 95 shell, just wondering if that is the common consenses.

Also I don\'t understand how the bloated win 98 can be using you CPU when it\'s[internet explorer] not running .
    Cheez said you can free up some of your CPU if you install the win 95 shell?
    Im not doubting your right , I just don\'t understand it.thanks , Ken
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully I\'m explaining this correctly, but most of the OS was integrated with Internet Explorer when IE 4 was released. When you double click on \"My Computer\", you get Internet Explorer. That came shortly after windows 95.

Rivethead is right. It\'s the IE integration that was removed from Windows - no more \"webification\" buttons when you open up folders. The startup buttons from the task-bar also disappeared (and you cannot add any icons on the bar; the startup menu remains as it is). Other subtle things: cannot right-click on the startup menu icons to delete icons/create shortcuts etc. My CPU resources frees up by 5% when I use the Windows 95 shell. It can be quite painful to those who likes the \"back\", \"forward\" and \"folder up\" buttons etc ... but I can live without it.

[This message has been edited by Cheez (edited 08-18-2000).]

Go Back to forum