• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Upcoming Studio Grand Piano

Share/Bookmark

Upcoming Studio Grand Piano

This was part of the \"I\'m back\"-thread, but I make it into a new thread since it was a bit off topic in the other thread.

SampleTekk’s White Grand
    The Ultimate Studio Grand Piano .
    This unique instrument with its clarity and brightness, gives you THE studio grand piano.
    Never before has a grand piano been sampled with such accuracy!
    Notes was sampled thirty-six, (36!) times, in different velocities, with sustain pedal up/down and special release samples, to give you control over your playing in a way that hasn’t been possible in any other sample piano. This is possible only by the use of SLH , a specially developed digital recording system, designed by SampleTekk.

You get an astonishing 32 different velocity samples, not only layers, but 32 DIFFERENT samples per note, (plus 4 release samples).
    This gives you a control over the dynamics that surpasses all today existing sampled pianos.

White Grand gives you not one sampled instrument, but two! When recording, two different stereo pairs where used, one taken with close microphones and one where some ambient microphones where used.
    This gives White Grand an outstanding control over sound and timbre. You can chose from close microphones, that gives you a bright, yet full tone, that cuts through in virtually any mix, or you can use the ambient version, a result of a different microphone placement, giving you a more airy sound, (still bright though).
    You can also mix those two versions to your personal taste giving you an almost endless range of possibilities.

There are several different instruments included. You have a chose between the full 32 velocity versions with release samples to “lite” versions, designed to give you ultimate playing experience for different occasions. (We prefer to put “lite” inside quotation marks, since our “lite” versions are bigger then most other sampled pianos on the market today!)

The instrument was recorded in Studio Kuling, Sweden, in a room specially built and designed to record acoustic instruments.
    All equipment used where chosen to deliver the best result possible.

Here\'s two demos done whit the recent beta:
    White Grand Beta 1
    White Grand Beta 2

This is made using the close version, and yes, it\'s close & bright!

Re: Upcoming Studio Grand Piano

Sounds impressive. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The sound is warm and sparkling.

Originally posted by Luigi:
    Sounds impressive. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The sound is warm and sparkling.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks!
    A little bit of explination:
    The White Grand is a piano that\'s supposed to be used in a pop/rock/jazz enviroment (altough it could be used in other areas aswell) and fit in well in a mix.
    It\'s not designed to sound like a \"natural\" acoustic grand like most other sampled pianos and shouldn\'t really be compared to those.
    If you want a sampled grand piano that sounds \"acoustic\" for classical work, but still want the technology behind WG, you should look out for SampleTekk\'s next Grand Piano.
    If you need a piano for studio work, look no further....

Originally posted by Worra:

The White Grand is a piano that\'s supposed to be used in a pop/rock/jazz enviroment (altough it could be used in other areas aswell) and fit in well in a mix.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">that\'s what I\'m looking for, but get disappointed whenever I hear a sampled piano mic\'ed from player perspective (low keys on left high keys on right)

Originally posted by David Abraham Fenton:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Worra:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">that\'s what I\'m looking for, but get disappointed whenever I hear a sampled piano mic\'ed from player perspective (low keys on left high keys on right) </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s easily fixed! Good idea. Mind you, this is probably the standard way of recording a piano.
    I\'ll include a \"stereo reverse\" patch.

Well played the Rachmaninov!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Worra:

That\'s easily fixed! Good idea. Mind you, this is probably the standard way of recording a piano.
    I\'ll include a \"stereo reverse\" patch.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">actually what I mean is that I\'d rather not have the stereo imaging change on a per note basis. When mixing I want to say have the entire piano part panned to the right or left. With sampled pianos it seems almost every note occupies a different position in the stereo spectrum.

So record that particular track to mono. Or use a stereo plug-in and narrow the field.

Originally posted by robgb:
    So record that particular track to mono. Or use a stereo plug-in and narrow the field.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">that\'s what I do now, don\'t always get the results I want. I\'d prefer an alternative sampled piano, stereo sampled/processed yes, but not based on key interval.

the closest demo to what I have in mind is \"The Holy Grail\" piano by QUPARTS. However it seems a bit dated and gets very little press...so to date I haven\'t been willing to pull the trigger.

-david abraham

Is it just me or does anyone else find that intro of Purgatory Creek to be really annoying? Why is this piece used as a demo for every piano library?

Daniel

Go Back to forum