• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is musical style?

Share/Bookmark

What is musical style?

"Over the life of a composer, his style results from the musical mistakes he consistently makes. Some are even intentional."

Re: What is musical style?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    "Over the life of a composer, his style results from the musical mistakes he consistently makes. Some are even intentional."
    I like it, Tom! - Who is the quote from?

Randy

Well, that explains me, then....!

Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Randy, I confess, it is mine. It was in a presentation I made at the Opera House last Friday evening. *blush*

Randy, I confess, it is mine. It was in a presentation I made at the Opera House last Friday evening. *blush*
    Ha! Well it's a really good quote - Quote yourself with pride, Tom!

Randy

Nice quote.**

But that is more "idiom": a personal "style".

"Style" is above "idiom" and beneath or above "genre". "The style of the period."

IMO.

**...Idiomatic uniqueness is combining of two things: The student's need to out do a master (for instinct reasons ["free will" is an illusion] related to female sexual value and natural selection --"these go to 11" crows the rooster) and his inability to learn/"internalize" all that is necessary to achieve that end _exactly_.

If the unique idiom-ite is the "right man at the right time" --a condition wrapped up in the hard to define and quantify quality of "charisma" (probably a combining of at least health/looks and smug dismissive confidence [ie "elitism'] in front of the "right" sycophant critic [...ie serendipity --freewill is illusion])-- his uniqueness will become a new *example of type* for students --a new "style or genre". [Think Stravinsky.] If that unique idiomite is not deemed charismatic (for many reasons _including his politics_) his "uniqueness" will be dismissed as *banal quackery* at best.

Tom,

Thats' sort a Zen thing which is art as controlled accidents which is a contradiction in western thought.

Phil

Go Back to forum