• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: "March of the Siamese Children" - all Garritan

Share/Bookmark

Smile "March of the Siamese Children" - all Garritan

please use the gear control to watch in 1080p high quality and click the far right control to go to full screen

Awhile back in General Discussion, I recommended the exercise of importing audio of a piece of music into your recording program, and then attempting to create a MIDI version as close to the original as possible.

Recently I decided to take my own advice, since it had been some time since I'd flexed my MIDI and recording chops in quite that way.

On Valentine's Day this year, my wife and I chose to watch "The King and I" as our romantic evening entertainment. When the scene came up where The King introduces his large brood of children to Anna, we both remarked at how we've always loved that piece of music, and that it's stayed with us since we were children seeing the movie for the first time.

I decided this sweet little march would be a fun piece to do the exercise with. I got a recording of the original cast album version of "March of the Siamese Children," imported it into Sonar and went to work. After extracting the tempo so I could play in time to the track, I started selecting the instruments to use, and then went about picking the music out by ear and recording it. What emerged was my own version of the piece, close to the sound of the original, but necessarily morphed into something a bit different since it was done without referring to a score, and filtered through my own sensibility.

Part Two of the project was to produce a video to go along with the music. Starting with photos of King Mongkut of Siam who inspired "The King and I," and photos of his children, I soon segue to current images of the children in Thailand, that country of course being what was previously called Siam. Choosing photos that range from the sublime to the horrific, I think what developed became an interesting, ironic counterpart to the American musical's quasi-Siamese music originally intended to be only sweet.

Richard Rogers certainly wanted this tune to stick in people's heads!--and he succeeded. It's very simple, very repetitive, and very nicely arranged. Its simplicity made the project of emulating the original much more pleasureable than arduous.

A side note - I've been waiting since February for someone at Rogers and Hammerstein to reply to my request for permission to use this. At this point, I'm having to deduce that my explanation of using this for demonstration and educational purposes satisfies them. I can see at YouTube where I've posted this that there are a number of other "March of the Siamese Children" posts, some using protected soundtracks. YT users of course post thousands of videos every day that bend and break the copyright law, but I don't care to be adding to that problem. Hopefully this will sit well with any R&H people who happen to see the post. The last thing in the world I need is trouble with YT. I'm sure it'll be fine.

This is an all-Garritan excursion, using these instruments:

Picc solo KS GPO
    Picc group 1 COMB
    Flute solo KS GPO
    Flute group 2 COMB
    E horn GPO
    Clarinet GPO
    Clarinet group 1 COMB
    Bassoon 1 GPO
    Bassoon 2 COMB

Trumpet 1 solo JABB
    Trumpet group 1 COMB
    Horn solo 1 GPO
    Horn over GPO
    Horn group 1 COMB
    Trom 1 solo JABB
    Trom over GPO
    Trom section GPO
    SAM Tuba solo KS GPO
    Tuba group 1 COMB

Snare and Rolls - IO 5 instances, detuned, offset and spread out from each other
    VDL GM percuss COMB
    VDL tenor line COMB
    VDL bass line COMB
    Large bass drum GPO
    Small bass drum COMB
    Cymbals GPO
    Finger cymbals COMB
    Temple Bells WORLD
    Percussion toys (Bell Tree) GPO
    Flexatone COMB

The Big chord IO

Harp - Salvi Harp 1 KS in Garritan Harps - using pedals, sustain, mute, and harmonics

Alt Bows Short Attack IO
    Pizz strings IO
    Full strings KS 1 and 2 GPO
    The Strad (solo library)
    Violins 1 KS GPO
    Violins 2 KS GPO
    Violas KS GPO
    Gofriller (solo library)
    Cellos KS GPO
    Bass solo GPO
    Basses KS GPO

Randy

Re: "March of the Siamese Children" - all Garritan

Interesting music, Randy. I enjoyed this. Never really listened to this type before. It demonstrates how powerful and great the Garritan libraries are! I say this as I hug my copies of GPO and GIO!!!

Great work Randy

Regards,

Richard

I don't know what to say. That is amazing at every level. And without a score! You have an incredible musical intuition. Great piece of work.

Great work as always, Randy. Wonderful clarity on everything - you have a way of ensuring every instrument gets heard clear and clean and performs to its best.

Love the fluttering flute near the end. It's great to hear those little musical touches you add that others, myself certainly, tend to forget about and never think to explore.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Interesting music, Randy. I enjoyed this. Never really listened to this type before. It demonstrates how powerful and great the Garritan libraries are! I say this as I hug my copies of GPO and GIO!!!

Great work Randy

Regards,

Richard
    Yep, we got the musical world at our fingertips with our Garritan Libraries, Richard.

Glad you enjoyed this - And my boy, you gotta get out more! - You've never seen "The King And I"--? I didn't know it was possible to grow up in America without seeing that - hehe. It's a good old fashioned big musical, and the film version is excellent. There aren't many stage shows written in this way anymore, but Rodgers and Hammerstein who wrote it were of course The Kings of the genre. If you saw it, you'd find it very old fashioned and corny - But that's one thing the world could use more of - good old fashioned corniness, as long as it's well done, like that movie is.

Here - Maybe you'd like to hear the original real orchestra version I based mine on. I got the soundtrack from this YouTube video, since they used the film's soundtrack. There are a few minor differences, starting (after the chimes opening which isn't really part of the clip-it's just the title intro)--they used a large Gong in the movie, but I thought a smaller, tinnier Chinese gong was more appropriate, so used that. I beefed up the ending too, but basically what you hear me doing is just that - my take on the classic Rodgers and Hammerstein sound you'll hear on this.

AND - to especially get your attention, Richard - the guy who posted this video below did character animations with Sims 2! That was his reason for posting, to show what he had done with Sims 2. The gaming world meets Broadway!

Sims 2 animated version of "Siamese Children"

Randy

Randy, that is sooooo brilliant. How they re-acted this with the Sims 2. THis must have took quite some effort. Thanks for sharing this. I do need to expand my knowledge a little further, I honestly haven't seen this. I wonder if it is on Netflix. Making a scene from in-game footage is quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    I don't know what to say. That is amazing at every level. And without a score! You have an incredible musical intuition. Great piece of work.
    Well, Richard, for someone who doesn't know what to say, you said plenty - and I thank you very much for the kind words.

Over the years I've done this sort of thing a number of times, and I'm really glad I did it again. I recommend the exercise to anyone who uses DAW software. Import audio of something you like and start figuring out what the instruments are, then start playing along with the original until you've picked it out best you can. It's really fun, and productive - Good for the ears, the head, for your soul!

Thanks again.

Randy

Randy!

Terrific as usual. The normal flute to flutter tongue tongue flute near the end really caught my ear. Did you do this on one track, use two tracks and carefully pan them together, or something else entirely? The effect is stunning.

Norman

The first thing that I would like to point out is, that you are truly gifted with a wonderful pair of ears that lets you hear things so clearly and to recreate a sound with your added 'sensibilities'. I have heard this from you many times before and I am still impressed. Putting your musical ideas to pictures and video is something I think you do incredibly well and this is no exception. I know that you felt a need to make a statement or two with this, but the horrific aspects put me in an unpleasant place. That would be my problem, not yours. Putting my own personal issues aside, I consider this another great R.B. project and am glad that you posted it. Jay

Wow! Great production, Mister B. Soundtrack quality! Enjoyable!

Thanks!

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast