• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: New Quantum Leap/EW demos

New Quantum Leap/EW demos

We have posted a 3 minute mockup of Beethoven\'s 5th, done with the silver, gold and platinum versions of EWQLSO. I think the gold link is broken, but will be fixed soon. There is also a new stormdrum demo (drums only). There are 10 more Stormdrum demos coming next week. Stormdrum is very close to release. There are also a few new Hardcore Bass demos. The Korn on the Kob demo was done by Alex Dimitrijevic (Lex).

Re: New Quantum Leap/EW demos

Well, I hate to do this, but I have to say it:

Silver\'s version of Beethoven\'s 5th PALES in comparison to the GPO version. It IS louder, and played a little faster and more aggressively, but that doesn\'t make up for the subtlety in expression the GPO version has.

And to my ear, the GPO samples just sound better. Certainly a lot less \"synthy\" than Silver.

Looks like this round goes to GPO.

May I ask why? Because it was what -- louder?

The bowing sounded machine gunny, the strings sounded synthy. And while I think the brass sounds pretty good, the woodwinds nice, it all pales in comparison to GPO.

But most of all, as I said before, Silver lacks the nuance and subtlety of the GPO demo.

Listen to them side by side. The only thing the Silver has going for it over the GPO version is that it\'s louder.

The Gold & Platinum \"Fifth\" sounds pretty good.

Only listened with the small speaks though, but still, sounded great.

Now I got a full \"Jones\" goin\' on.

Come on Nick/Doug - hurry up - will ya?

Looks like the Gold version demo is fixed now .
    Thank you Nick [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Choco --

Are you sure we\'re listening to the same demos? Are you sure your opinion is completely neutral? You don\'t, for example, already own EWQLSO do you?

I don\'t own either one.

And I don\'t mean to insult you, but I have serious doubts about your sincerity here. The differences are just too drastic, IMO.

But, hey -- whatever floats your boat.

I haven\'t heard the GPO or silver demo, but I really liked what I heard from the Gold demo.

Here we go with another 100 page thread. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Los Angeles

Since this is undoubtedly gonna grow into a debate... I don\'t mind fanning the flames. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I prefer the \"sound\" of the QLSO demo over GPO (listened to both demos through Genelec 1032A\'s... word clock on, D/A full power! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). I don\'t own either one, but do own VSL.

I thought the QLSO version did sound more \"Hollywood\". And yes, I may be biased considering I was born in Hollywood. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Then again, my style is a bit different than Beethoven, so I guess you could say I buy what works for \"me\". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Each have their market... So what?

Full disclosure:

I have corresponded with Gary, and I have spoken to him on the phone a couple of times, but I\'ve also corresponded with Doug Rogers. Part of my job is begging for review copies so that I can write my column.

And while I don\'t want to turn this into a shoot out, Doug and Nick\'s choice of demos invites the comparison. They know exactly what they\'re doing. I\'d probably do the same thing if I was in their shoes.

Unfortunately, it didn\'t pay off.

Originally posted by kid-surf:

I thought the QLSO version did sound more \"Hollywood\".
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I REALLY would like someone to explain to me just exactly what the \"hollywood\" sound is.

Modern orchestral music? The sound most of us equate with Hollywood has been around for decades. And it\'s roots are in the classics.

So, please, somebody, once and for all, tell me what the hollywood sound is.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast