• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New VSL Saxophones 1 demo posted

Share/Bookmark

New VSL Saxophones 1 demo posted

For those who are interested a demo of the new VSL Saxophones 1 has been posted here:

http://www.vsl.co.at/english/pages/profile/news/product_news.htm

Ben H

Re: New VSL Saxophones 1 demo posted

i\'m a saxophoneplayer myself, and i am no native english-speaker, as you guessed already. what i hear in this demo is sometimes convincing, sometimes i want to know, how they get it. i am new to this sampling thing, but for a composer like me, i see possibilities for my recordings which are - as i posted - interesting.

These saxes sound amazingly real to me!

Very impressive!

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I didn\'t see any \'phrases\' in the articulation list.

Sounded way better, by a million miles, than any sampled saxes I\'ve heard. The runs were terrific and I really liked the soprano tone.

Good price too.

Where\'s the concert guitar? I wanna hear it!

\"sometimes i want to know, how they get it. i am new to this sampling thing, but for a composer like me, i see possibilities for my recordings which are - as i posted - interesting.\"

There are not alot of phrases with the VSL technique. The main cool thing, esepecially for saxes is the legato tool. They record each and every glide from 1/2 step to octave, up & down, to and from each note and at a couple of volume levels. Then, the legato tool seamlessly glues it all together in real time as you play. You hold down one note, then another while holding the first note, and the sample seems to glide to the second note. The sample is switched automatically by the tool. As to phrases, they might record a bunch of runs up & down to and from each note perhaps and some repetitions.

A good potential articulations list might go something like this

Long Notes, several velocities, Vibrato & non vibrato
    Several durations & aggressive variations of short notes, from staccato to 1 second
    Several crecendo & dim speeds.
    A bunch of repetitions at several speeds.
    The Legato instruments mentioned above.
    Runs
    Trills of various intervals.

Hope that helps.
    Dave

Can the legato tool work with anything beside Gigasampler, like Kompakt?

Neole - yes, you can use Kontakt, HALion etc - check out my web site for some tutorials Tim Kiel

I have been playing sax for 8 years now,

I\'ve been into sampling for 3 years,

I\'ve already got the BG Saxes, which I have raved about many times on this forum and absolutely love to bits

But I have never got a sampled sax to sound like that.

I think that the programming in the demo is awesome, minus the stuff in the background and now you get the same legato tool as in the VSL Orch library that everyone has been raving about.

Ben H

interesting! and who can tell recorded phrases from multisamples?

That accompaniment is kinda weird.. A lot of the licks sounded pretty sweet though, the best sax demo I\'ve heard yet.

Go Back to forum