• Register
  • Help

Topic: Back from NAMM - pleasently suprised with VSL

Share/Bookmark

Back from NAMM - pleasently suprised with VSL

I posted some weeks ago that I was confused about the love for VSL, and that I thought it sounded awful. Well, I went to the VSL demo at NAMM, and I was quite impressed.
    The new demo from an \"anonymous composer\" was very good . Night and day compared to the web site MP3s.
    In the end, it\'s like most things; it has it\'s strengths and it\'s weaknesses.

So, I must amend my previous thoughts about this library. I guess all it took was really good demo cue..

Also, it was a pleasure to meet you, King.

Re: Back from NAMM - pleasently suprised with VSL

Yeah, I heard that demo and was equally impressed. It was by far the best orchestra emulation I\'ve ever heard. Sounded so great. The EastWest orchestra library was pretty impressive as well. I think both libraries are winners and I\'m very angry that I have to figure out how to pay for them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Jamey

Hey Craig,

Thanks for that very useful info. You\'ve got a serious CV there and you\'ve played with some serious artists as well!

I\'m a big fan of Bobby Caldwell. Seems like you\'ve had some good fun over the years!

Regards,

Chris

Just wanted to add a couple things regarding VSL and QLSO after attending both demos at NAMM.

VSL did sound quite good with the full demo played. I really like how they approached the legato playing issue. Solo lines were quite realistic with slides to notes seamlessy played. It makes brass instruments much more realistic. It appears to be pretty smart on making realistic phrases. A couple questions were asked regarding dynamics. It appears that the programs are setup for only one dynamic. You will need to change programs to go from a soft dynamic to a loud dynamic. There is no equivalent to the GOS EXP type patches that crossfade from soft to loud. We were told that you should setup separate MIDI channels for each dynamic level. They also recommended separate channels for legato type sounds and staccato type sounds. This could cause a large amounts of MIDI channels for each section.

QLSO had a very nice hall sound without using any reverbs. Unfortunately, Nick only had one quickly programmed Demo piece using multiple instruments so is was hard comparing a full orchestration between the 2 libraries. The philosophy between the programming of the 2 libraries is totally different with QLSO giving you the 3 different mic positions but not some of the extra performance tools. Nick really didn\'t get into showing us some of the features of what the playback engine can do so there may be tricks that I don\'t know about. He spent most of the time go over the instruments in each of the sections. The basses and bass drums shook the room. The percussion really benefitted from the hall sound - quite awesome. Woodwinds were quite expressive.

I wouldn\'t wait for Giga 3.0 to come out to buy QLSO as the playback engine that is included is quite powerful when used on a powerful system. It can also be used on a PC or MAC system.

Both libraries have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither library is perfect but both have raised the bar for sample libraries.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    It appears that the programs are setup for only one dynamic. You will need to change programs to go from a soft dynamic to a loud dynamic.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">NOT TRUE! AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

VSL has multiple dynamics that are achieved via mod wheel and in some cases live performance.

To clarify the dynamics question of VSL, it\'s true that some patches dont have more than one dynamics: The performance legato ones. Because all of GS\'es dimensions are used to create this insanely cool legato feature. It\'s not THAT important to have multiple dynamics here anyway, since this will mostly be used for solo playing where you normally don\'t jump out at people with a horn, a flute or an oboe playing F. Having said that, some instruments exist in both P and F versions for legato.

hmm, the legato tool works for sections and solo. One of the things about the tool is it is for monophonic playing. You can play chords on one patch with the legato tool enabled. It however *IS* cool because it can force you to write counterpoint, instead of \"cheating\".

IMO it blows away any legato feature to date. Including GOS\'s. I also have a feeling that it wil blow away any future legato feature unless someone samples exactly the same way
    these guys at VSL did (sampling every transition between intervals)

the dynamics issue is just based on the insane amount of dimansions built into the legato instrument. There is something like 32 stereo dimensions which is actually double the amount of dimensions one can get out of giga 2.5

Once Giga 3.0 allows for 3/4 more dimensions, dynamics will be available in multiple forms in one patch.

and yah simons right, you realise the legato nuances mean more than most dynamic changes. Still Haydn\'s also correct, it can eat up a couple more midi channels to use all the dynamics from the legato stuff.

However on the other patches you get standard velocity switching and some Xfade variations. Just like your regular sample library. Sustains, staccs, tremolo, detache, etc. They all have multi-dynamic patches.

About Stacc to legato to detache etc. The auto Alternator tool can do this for you if you\'re doign alot of switching (its really freaking cool). Its especialyl cool for rhytmic switching (1-2-2-1-2-2-1-1-2).

I think one thing about the VSL stuff is that the sampling technique and tools are pretty revolutionary, so many people need to actually sit with it to understand it. Similar to Keyswitches from Gigastudio, many people did not understand this concept at first, but now its commonplace in giga instruments. Many of the questions peopel have with this library tend to be with thinking with what we know is already in sample libraries, and not being able to understand the new concepts. TO be honest the only way to get to understand them will be wit hands on and videos. Which *I\'m* even thinking of doing, because I want you guys to understand how cool the features are, and I want alot of other developers to check out the concepts and jump on some of this bandwagon for other instruments.

It really is that freaking cool. Is it the library for you if you have to choose between this and QLSO, dunno, there are a multitude of other factors involved, but I still believe this its a library is and extreme must have for orchestral guys. Anyone who\'s used it will agree, its that mind boggling. Even if you dont use it as your main orch lib, it will help to add nuances where other libs cant.

I know I\'m a bit enthused about this sucker, but really, I do like it, its not just me saying that.

The problem with a demo of less than a half hour is that only so much can be shown in the limited time available. The demo cube documentation does not go into enough detail either. The demo only showed sounds with one dynamic layer and I\'m sure many people leaving the demo thought that is all it had especially with the questions asked.

I thought too much time was spent on the repetition tool. I would have liked to have heard more instruments soloed. The legato feature of this library is mind blowing and really did make realistic solo passages.

King, does the clarinet have distortion in it? It sounded strange to me in the demo for about half an octave. Maybe they had a speaker going on there sound system.

Haydn,

sorry I missed ya at the show [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I haven\'t heard any distortion in any of the samples. Maybe they killed a speaker [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Actually it might be some breathyness you\'re hearing in certain registers. The instruments have some varying characteristerics in specific registers. I overthought it at first, but then put it into reverb like I always do, and it sounded fine, especially with the legato tools, the transistions also add the transistion of what I\'m calling \"range characteristerics\". Stuff we always hear in libs, but jump out at us even more.

I\'ll be spending more time with the samples now that a certain update is pretty much done (except for some looping problems that I hear you noticed...damn giga for not updating the loop info.)

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s not THAT important to have multiple dynamics here anyway, since this will mostly be used for solo playing where you normally don\'t jump out at people with a horn, a flute or an oboe playing F.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would like to add something to this statement. If this tool was just for solo playing I wouldn\'t be that interested in this library. I can always get a solist if I really need one. One of the things that was impressive at the NAMM demo was the use of the legato tool in sections. I can\'t usually afford them and the demo showing the use of them was excellent. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Legato tool for sections!!!!!! Crap-o-la, VSL is making this tougher with each report from NAMM!!!!!!!!!! (Legato tool, Performances, lastest demo, etc.)

Can I get this demo on-line (name, etc.)

Thanks,

Rob

Go Back to forum