• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to damp GPO4's timpani?

Share/Bookmark

How to damp GPO4's timpani?

Hi everyone,

The question is in the title... So, how can I damp (secco) the timpani in GPO4?

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: How to damp GPO4's timpani?

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Hi everyone,

The question is in the title... So, how can I damp (secco) the timpani in GPO4?

Best,

Fred.
    EDIT - 5/5/13 - SysExJohn discovered and explains how to damp the timpani in post #11 of this thread. I didn't know before that we could do that!--so this original post of mine is wrong:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Well, you can't do that, Fred. Since you used the term "secco" I'm guessing you're using a notation program? In a sequencer you could do some tricks to simulate the effect, but it wouldn't be straight-forward. You would need to try things like automating the EQ to dull the sound, and also automating ARIA's volume fader with CC7 to cut off the tail of the sound, since single strike percussion samples don't respond to CC1 or 11 volume control.

Low velocities in either notation or DAW software would also be required, but as I said, there's just no direct way to dampen the timpani.

Randy

I don't know if this works for you, but try a short note (1/8) with a staccato dot over top. I tried that as a single tymp hit and while it's not perfect, it may start you down the road you're looking for, at least as far as playback is concerned.

Note- Sometimes, it's just as easy to have 2 copies of your score. One is for looks, and all the notation is for the benefit of the performer, and the second one is for playback, where sometimes strict adherence to the rules of engraving can get in the way of your sound card (For example, I find that repeats can be problematic when adding an instrument or group on the second, or subsequent repeat would have "second time only" added to the score)
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Ok, thanks guys.I'll let it ring as there is no way to damp it.If anybody has a suggestion, it's welcome.Best,Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Ok, thanks guys.I'll let it ring as there is no way to damp it.If anybody has a suggestion, it's welcome.Best,Fred.
    The problem with Kevin's notation suggestion is that there isn't a damped sample set to be triggered. The Tympani samples are "one-shots" - meaning once they're triggered, they play completely out. I suppose some editing of the SFZ files could get something going, but if the samples were re-programmed to not be one shots, then you'd always have to indicate how long a hit should play - they'd be chopped off after the duration of the note - And, the sound would be unnaturally chopped off - hmmm, not much faith in trying all that.

What I suggested earlier was for DAW software, as I said. There's always more to experiment with in sequencers than in notation programs. The volume could be automated to shut down after a second or whatever, the EQ could be automated to be duller - All theoretical, I've never attempted it.

Interesting - What would be ideally called for would be a whole different sample set of dampened Tympani strikes.

Randy

Randy- I played it back at a louder volume and you're right, the whole enchilada sounds... just shortened. Sorry, at headphone volumes it sounded better than through the monitors....

Mea Culpa.

Kevin
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    Randy- I played it back at a louder volume and you're right, the whole enchilada sounds... just shortened...
    Hi, Kevin - I didn't realize this is something you had actually tried, I thought it was theoretical.

That's actually good news for Fred, since you're saying the sound was shortened. I think that's what you mean, even though "the whole enchilada sounds...just shortened" are two contradictory phrases--. I thought there was no way to avoid having the entire, ringing note play - But if it's shorter with your notation, then the whole enchilada Isn't sounding.--

Randy

It is shorter in duration, but it's not the soft "thump" of a muted tymp. It sounds like Finale tries to squeeze all of overtones, etc into the shortened duration. That's what I meant when I said the whole enchilada. The note still rings, just not for all that long

It "sorta" works, just not as well as the OP may like.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

I don't know what you are using for notation but there is a key switch option in the Garritan Instruments for Finale Edition that will accomplish Timpani hand damp for you.

Keyswitches for Timpani
    Full ring
    2 Hand damped
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

I was ready to thankyou, Kevin for your follow up, and actually, I still do want to thank you - It's good news that the sound is actually shorter with your notation - But then, Mitch - sounds like you've really nailed it. Wow - There's actually a hand damped timpani sample for Finale! Now this seems rare - Something available in the notation version of a Garritan instrument not available in the standard version. Very nice - And now I'm envious!

Randy

Go Back to forum