• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: A bit of NAMM info....

Share/Bookmark

A bit of NAMM info....

I\'m not as well versed in all this stuff as many of you but here is my take on EWQLSO.

It sounds pretty darn good! The room tone is very nice \"NO NEED FOR ANY VERBS, SERIOUSLY!\" with this lib. People in the room where asking what if any processing was being done to the samples and Nick (I think is his name) said \"NONE\". I was pretty
    impressed with that! I\'d like to have something that doesn\'t rely on a system6000 to sound right. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Most everything in the lib sounded pretty good to my ears (not that it\'s a good environment at NAMM to critically listen, but). There were some horns that may be the weak link (to my ears), but over all I was pretty impressed!

Did VSL have a good demo , I wish i could have gone but I was with a group of rockers that had other agendas.

BTW....I was in the 2:00 session... I\'m the guy that had to cut out early because I had to use the restroom (too much water!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But also because my rock guitar buddy was bored. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the demo!

Re: A bit of NAMM info....

Sigh! Tell me more, tell me more! I feel totally unconnected to NAMM and I am DYING to here the QLSO demos. Hehehe. DyyyyYIiiiNG!

Love - Chris

Just returned from NAMM and I thought EWQLSO and VSL both sounded great, though I suspect the simplicity of EWQLSO will be more attractive to me, personally. The VSL seems much more complex to use in terms of phrase manipulation, etc. and that is one of its unique strengths, to be sure, but with the tight deadlines one usually faces in the scoring biz, \"plug and play\" is a good thing.

But both are awesome libraries, and deserving of attention.

I also thought Kirk Hunter\'s orch. brass lib. sounded wonderful, and seemed very musical, user friendly.

An embarassment of riches...

Just returned from NAMM and I thought EWQLSO and VSL both sounded great, though I suspect the simplicity of EWQLSO will be more attractive to me, personally. The VSL seems much more complex to use in terms of phrase manipulation, etc. and that is one of its unique strengths, to be sure, but with the tight deadlines one usually faces in the scoring biz, \"plug and play\" is a good thing.

But both are awesome libraries, and deserving of attention.

I also thought Kirk Hunter\'s orch. brass lib. sounded wonderful, and seemed very musical, user friendly.

An embarassment of riches...

So...any impressions regarding the EWQLSO NI interface/performance? anyone catch if the demo was a PC, MAC?..and how many computers were they running? All on one computer...gasp!?

Hey Kid, (I was the one sitting in the center next to you...thanks for the badge recovery!).

My bottom line on the QLSO...I\'m prolly going to delay getting this library in lieu of VSL based on today\'s demo, but will reserve final decision until I can listen to the sounds sans NAMM\'s earthquakish noise level! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I wish Nick could have gotten a soundproof chamber like VSL had. IMO most of the sounds had a slightly harsh quality to them...anybody else think this? I\'m assuming this is due, once again, to the rumbling demo-room ambience masking out the sample lows.

Anyway, IMO, the QLSO demo highlights were the cello ensemble, solo trumpet (although the wet mix seemed to have too much echo vs. verb, for my taste...but, then again, the mike placement mix can be adjusted closer), rolled cymbals, timpani and bass drum hits. The ambience room-mix control was demonstrated on the harp...this feature is definitely impressive and might cause me to spring for both libraries (but, no harp glisses?...I might be mistaken about that...plucked arpeggios don\'t quite cut it). All in all, a work in progress and a pleasure to listen to (even with the Desert Storm background). [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Then, I popped into VSL\'s soundproof chamber, breathed a sigh of relief, and proceeded to get blown away by a new demo I hadn\'t yet heard on their website demonstrating the string legato and repeating note features...trully inspiring. Then the clarinet legato feature was demonstrated. The performance was pretty much mind-boggling...the legato feature alone makes the library a must-have (well, that AND the consistent sound of the samples). I left after that cause I was already sold. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal

Oh yeah, the final NI interface for QLSO is not ready yet...Nick used a modified existing one. It didn\'t sound to have any legato feature. I believe he was using a cutting-edge PC...did he say it was getting 180 voices?

Neal

I bought the VSL demo disc (as I am sure many of you have) this was impressive enough, the tenor trombone is wonderful and the legato tool is great. The cellos from the demo sounded weak though the 1st violin crescendos are great and of course the pizzicato and tremolo sound great. Though I wish they could make like a $50 demo disc with some more stuff on it, because to be honest it wasn\'t enough to really taste what the library is all about.

Hey Kid, (I was the one sitting in the center next to you...thanks for the badge recovery!).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually that was my buddy, I was the biracial guy with the shaved head (far right corner... the good looking guy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Wish I could have heard the rest of the demo, as well as VSL.

Fill us in some more on VSL (anyone).... what were they doing to process it? What is the dry sound like?

KID-

So you guys have actually heard the QLSO??? So much for the \'simultaneous mp3 demos at soundsonline.com\' [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast