• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Auditory experiences

Share/Bookmark

Auditory experiences

Dear hearts,

I just wondered about the best and worst auditory experiences I have had through my life. It struck me that some of these had nothing to do with music at all. Some were vocal, some were ambient, some were musical.

I believe it could be interesting to debate (and not discuss) and share some of the positive or negative experiences we have had with audio. It does\'nt have to be music, it can be anything from the timpany of thunder to the thousand waterdrums of rain. Anything from the way our loved ones call our name to the sound of kisses.

The auditory experience I remember the best was the death of my mother. She suffered from lung cancer and could barely breath at all. She could speak one or two words before she had to breath again. It was the most terrible, desperate and dying roar I have ever heard.

Oh! Here I am getting sentimental on this topic.

Maybe I am not alone.

Isabella Rowlins

Re: Auditory experiences

Best, probably Brahms Symphony no.1 at the Royal Festival Hall, London.

Worst, most other gigs/clubs I\'ve been to.

My best aural memory was the summer of \'80 when a string of Fusion bands all streamed through the Roxy in LA. We saw both shows of Bruford, Gong and the Dixie Dregs on their seprate visits. It didn\'t necessarily sound pretty, but emotionally/musically my breath was taken away. At least one other person on this board also considers Bruford\'s One of a Kind the pinnacle album of Fusion music.

The worst experience? When playing in a band the drummer lost his balance crawling out from behind his set. He steadied himself with his hand on the gain knob of our HF amp. I got about 135 dB of feedback in my right ear, just before the compression driver popped. My hearing in that ear hasn\'t been the same since.

Certainly, my stories don\'t have near the emotional content of your experience with your mother. If you ever find a melody or orchestration that captures that feeling and sound, the resulting composition would be heart wrenching.

Morbid maybe?. Actually, my grandmother made the same sound so I know what you mean.

Whatever the various impressionable experiences have been, none of them have come via speakers. They\'ve all been natural acoustic and range from hearing the Perlman play Tchaikovsky\'s violin concerto as a 4 year old in the Albert Hall to an incredibly eerie night spent camped alone in a cave during a climbing expedition with sounds from the dark spookier than any movie.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:

The worst experience? When playing in a band the drummer lost his balance crawling out from behind his set. He steadied himself with his hand on the gain knob of our HF amp. I got about 135 dB of feedback in my right ear, just before the compression driver popped. My hearing in that ear hasn\'t been the same since.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think that\'s pretty much what happened to Pete Waterman. Not a nice thing to happen and not unusual unfortunately.

Dear Mr. Fairhurst,

I never thought of that. But sometimes things are best left in memory. I can find sadness in it, but not inspiration yet.

Yet.

*S*

Isabella Rowlins

Thanks for starting this topic, Isabella, it\'s always pleasant to have people discuss their personal experiences in such a way.

The most profound auditory experience I had was when I first heard a live symphonic orchestra. The experience was not planned: I happened to be in a park just near the Mont Royal in Montreal when I heard sounds coming from a source I could not see. So I walked toward it and I arrived in front of this big orchestra playing on an outdoor stage. It was a beautiful sunset and the Sun was a big orange-pink circle touching the horizon and projecting shades of violet and light pink upon the clouds. Through the music, I was propelled within my Inner Divine Memories of Cosmic Perfection. In an instant, I understood what music is, what God is, what purity and harmony are and the healing power that sound can carry. I cried tears of gratitude towards Life for teaching me such fundamental things and I decided that I had to write orchestral music.

Strangely, I can\'t remember a painful experience that really stands out... I\'ll write it later if it comes.

Maybe these are obvious but as far as the best audible experiences, probably my kids and wife saying \"I love you\" A little sappy but pretty cool in my books. Music wise I saw Yes in Vancouver and they ended with Starship Trooper. The lighting rig was articulating down to the set as Tony Kaye kept hitting bass notes on his synths that shook you senseless. Another one was hearing a good brass section. (Doc Severinson\'s band in Vegas) Since band class in high school I always thought horns were supposed to sound thin and warbly. 1st time I\'d heard a trombone section sound so warm. Lovely.

Worst audio experience. Playing drums at Tokyo Jim\'s in Prince Rupert British Columbia. The stage was a concrete cave and every snare crack felt like a dagger stickin\' in your head. OK guys they want to hear \"Old Time Rock\'N\'Roll one more time!!!! (of course the $50.00 a week pay made it all worth while) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Great thread Isabella!

All the very best,

Darren

Best live auditory experience: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, circa 1972 or 73 when I was just a kid. A concert at the HIC Auditorium in Honolulu, my home town. Best concert I\'ve ever seen, and I\'ve seen many. Went on for hours. First an acoustic set, then an electric set -- kicked off by Wooden Ships.

A friend and I were recently talking about favorite concerts and we both named the same one. He saw them back east during the same tour.

Best recorded auditory experience: Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer playing Diamond Dust.

Second best recorded auditory experience: Thomas Dolby\'s Airwaves and the majority of Tears for Fears\'s post-mad world catalogue.

Favorite quiet time auditory experience: Bill Evans playing anything.

All-time favorite auditory experience: Lennon & McCartney and the genius of George Martin.

Best: hearing a top-12 Drum Corp warming up when I was in high school. Yes, seriously! Since then, I\'ve heard live performances by the best pro orchestras in the US, and of course the sound is a world better, but this was the first time I\'d heard such a rich, deep, powerful sound in person.

Worst: every year on the first day of 5th grade beginning band. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--Eric

Go Back to forum