• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Digital Performer 8 For Windows Has Finally Arrived

Share/Bookmark

Digital Performer 8 For Windows Has Finally Arrived

Yes, DP 8.02 for Windows has finally been released after being announced at the 2012 Winter NAMM.

It's compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8 and beyond.

Also there is now a 30 day free fully functioning demo available for both the OSX and Windows versions. Only saving as an MP3, which is a recent new feature, is absent.

The demos are available for download at the MOTU site.

Phil

Re: Digital Performer 8 For Windows Has Finally Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ...Only saving as an MP3, which is a recent new feature, is absent...
    Nice, thanks for the report, Phil. Let us know how you enjoy the trial.

I pulled that quote out just because it amused me - Saving to MP3 is a new feature? wow- Ok! lol. I thought all DAW software had that function for many years now.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Nice, thanks for the report, Phil. Let us know how you enjoy the trial.

I pulled that quote out just because it amused me - Saving to MP3 is a new feature? wow- Ok! lol. I thought all DAW software had that function for many years now.

Randy
    Yeah, for $400 you'd think it would have already had that feature. Metro has always had the option to save in a number of formats.

I think MOTU stated that it didn't require LAME so whoop de do.

In one of the pro user videos he gushes about a newer feature in DP7 that it so cool and unique to DP. All versions of Metro have always had that feature.

I never could figure out how to use DP6 even with a video tutorial but I can take another gander at it while my music listening enjoyment is on hold.

I think the problem for me is that, like other older applications, DP has developed a bad case of featuritis and a cluttered GUI.

Maybe DP Dan will show up and provide some guidance for DP 8.

Phil

I just downloaded the DP8 demo and sort of installed it. I got about twenty crash logs during instillation as it inspected the VST plug-ins. I use both AU and VST but it dosen't give you a choice. DP8 seems to want to take over your DAW.

I brought up the initial interface and it's worse than I remember. I'd rather listen to bagpipe music played through a distortion box than mess with this right now.

DP Dan, where are you!

Phil

I'll have to check it out. As much as I love Ableton and its pure ease of use, the lack of the mutli-view piano roll is just too much to bear at times. And on the MP3 thing...it's not as common as you think. Ableton can't save as mp3 either. It's wav or aiff, that's it.

But its ease of use is such a blessing that when I trial the other DAW's their clunky and bad workflow turns me right off. Won't stop me looking though.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    I'll have to check it out. As much as I love Ableton and its pure ease of use, the lack of the mutli-view piano roll is just too much to bear at times. And on the MP3 thing...it's not as common as you think. Ableton can't save as mp3 either. It's wav or aiff, that's it.

But its ease of use is such a blessing that when I trial the other DAW's their clunky and bad workflow turns me right off. Won't stop me looking though.
    I might take a look at the famous DP in trial mode, even though there's no way I would be spending $400 on more recording software, not at the present anyway. But I'm curious to see for myself what it's like.

I'm always amazed to think of you using Ableton, Graham, as you know. When you say "lack of the multi-view piano roll," do you mean that you can't have several tracks worth of data open at the same time?

Your post inspired me to take a screenshot just now. I'm settling in to do some work on my current project, and I wanted to give you an idea of how smooth and continuous I feel my work flow is in Sonar. This is the late-great Sonar 8.5.3 which isn't available anymore. The way I set my stuff up is something like the Screensets system in the current Sonar X1 and 2.

This is what I have on my 1st monitor. I use my 2nd monitor for the console/mixer, for temporarily opening up soft synth GUIs, working with audio plugins etc. I was going to add arrows and text, but I think you can perhaps see what's happening here. The large white area is the Piano Roll View, showing 4 tracks of data. All but the Tuba data has been locked so I won't accidentally edit it, making the notes and data for those tracks greyed out. The Tuba's notes and MIDI data is active, red.

Directly above the PRV I have the Tuba track view visible from the Track View. I can work with the MIDI clips if I want, go back to working in the PRV, without doing any adjusting. I just move my cursor to the area where I want to work.

WizMouse is essential to how I work. That's a free app that adds functionality to your mouse. Without having to click and activate an area of your screen, wherever your cursor is currently positioned gives you access to whatever you're hovering over. When I move my cursor up to that Tuba track, without clicking to be in the Track View, I can scroll through the project's tracks, and display any other track I want.

To the far left is the Track Inspector for the currently active track, the Tuba. I can adjust the volume, pan, whatever else. Directly to the right of that are the project's buses. If I want to see and work with those, notice the tabs at the bottom of the screen under the PRV. Those instantly bring up whatever work space I want to be in. The first one visible is Bus - clicking that displays the bus tracks where the PRV is currently displayed. I have tabs open for the SynthRack, Tempo Map, PRV, and Staff. Those are typically what I have open.

The top menu is very crammed, that's the default set of controls I've included, but I could add and subtract easily. I just like having lots of buttons instantly handy without having to do all the menu-diving that Sonar X1 and 2 makes you do.

Anyway - I wanted to show you that for me at least, the way I've customized my Sonar interface makes for a totally smooth, time-saving work flow.

That sort of customization has to be possible in other DAW software. I'm betting DP can be just as smooth once the user's learned how the program is built.

Randy

I was posting a reply but the whole thing failed...

In short, nope Ableton can't do the multiview on the piano roll - a feature bemoaned for years by the users and still they haven't bothered.

A good workflow in a new DAW would come with time, but I would have to like the DAW overall from quite early on.

Also as you mention, its an expensive thing to be just switching software like this, so certainly can't be taken lightly. Ableton has served me well, just that missing piano roll issue is an arrangement nightmare at times.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Check Out the Personus Studio One free version. I picked up Studio One Producer for $99 last summer. You just drag a library into the tracks area and it automatically creates a track. Input some midi data and click on the track and the midi editor window appears at the bottom of the tracks window. You can even have multiple color coded tracks with different instruments from multiple libraries in the same editing window and edit them just as if they were a single track.

Even your keyboard controllers are automatically connected to Studio One with remote transport control ready to go.

Phil

I trialed Studio One 2 (what a silly name) - and when I discovered that the tempo map was done in blocks and not a proper envelope I didn't look at it again. I'm pretty unforgiving about such things

You can quantize the block size down to a small size but editing it was terribly fiddly.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    I trialed Studio One 2 (what a silly name) - and when I discovered that the tempo map was done in blocks and not a proper envelope I didn't look at it again. I'm pretty unforgiving about such things

You can quantize the block size down to a small size but editing it was terribly fiddly.
    I guess your talking about tempo Tap which is what it's called in Metro 7. I'm not sure if Studio One 2.5 has improved on this feature. I really don't use Studio One but just picked it up in case I hit a wall with Metro 7 for maximum tracks or something else.

Here's a video about tempo mapping in Studio One 2.5.

Tempo Mapping- Studio One 2.5

Go Back to forum