• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQL Platinum and Gold Beethoven Identical?

Share/Bookmark

EWQL Platinum and Gold Beethoven Identical?

Hi.

I downloaded the platinum and gold demos of Beethoven\'s 5th and found that they have the same file name, file size, and are, to my ears, sonically identical. Has anyone else noticed this? I\'d be surprised if not.

I\'m sure it\'s a simple mistake - people just moving a little too fast to keep up with demand. I\'d like to hear both library versions of this piece.

Cheers and luck to all
    Heath

Re: EWQL Platinum and Gold Beethoven Identical?

I don\'t trust my ears, but many posts in the EW forum say the Gold demo sounds better than Silver demo of this piece. Does this mean Gold sounds better than Platinum? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Tarkio

I\'m sure that Gold IS better than Silver. Although the Beethoven mp3 demos for Gold and Platinum are, I think, the same file, I\'d hazard a guess and say that Gold was used for both - just a guess though.

Like I said, it\'s probably just a simple mix up on the site. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers.

Nick already mentioned a mix-up in the Gold demos that included the orchestra toms that do not come with Gold. So I guess anything goes at this point.

This \"very exciting time for sampling\" seems to have become a very confusing time. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think the link is already fixed .
    When I play it with iTunes , the title was \" Beethoven 5th GOLD \" , so I think its fixed .
    Try downloading it again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Its sure worth it - the depth to the sound is fantastic.

gold is absolutely better than the silver one(even i can figure it out [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

It\'s easy to explain. The infamous Hollywood sample burglar had at them. They had their Platinum, Gold and Silver editions hermetically sealed in separate computers so that they couldn\'t contaminate each other.

But, someone broke in and remapped their files. It\'s not their fault. They tried to extract the percussion samples from the Gold but a leading sample surgeon declared that doing so might kill the patient. But I\'m given to understand that Gold and Silver won\'t have any nasty Platinum infections by the time they reach the customer (thank God for that, at least).

As to the late release; that\'s all my fault. Me and my dog Spike went round to Nick\'s for afternoon tea and biscuits and while Nick was in the kitchen (he\'d baked a lovely Madeira cake for the occasion) I went outside for a smoke, leaving Spike safely humping the sofa.

When I came back in, Spike had eaten their release schedule. This left them all at sixes and sevens.

Spike says he\'s sorry. I know Nick feels terrible about it, but he\'s so tired from banging his fist on Doug W. Bush\'s table to fight for free speech on the EW forum that he doesn\'t have time to answer reverb questions and other silly complaints about the make-up of his libraries.

So, blame the burglar and Z6, and please get over to the EW forum and offer support and money. Those guys like support and money and I\'m sure they\'d appreciate it.

This is almost as bad as the spate of trumpet burglaries we saw here a couple years ago. Intensive counseling saw Nick through that terrible time (even to the extent that the burglar himself - Thomas_J and Nick are fast friends) and I\'m offering my service to both Nick and Doug on this.

So come on guys! EW forum now- they accept Mastercard and Visa (and you get points!). Don\'t let the baddies hurt our pals.

Mmm? What forum is this?

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    Hi.

I downloaded the platinum and gold demos of Beethoven\'s 5th and found that they have the same file name, file size, and are, to my ears, sonically identical. Has anyone else noticed this? I\'d be surprised if not.

Cheers and luck to all
    Heath
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I had the same problem when I realized that I was clicking on the Homepage picture of \"Gold\", but getting the page with \"Platinum\". I played all the mp3\'s this way and thought, hey!! these are all the same!!! Then I scrolled to the bottom of the page and found the small print links that take you to the \"Silver\" and \"Gold\" pages. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Any ways, there is a definite audio difference between Gold and Platinum, if I remember right, listen to the flute stuccato\'s in the Gold from around the one minute mark. Listen to how strong the pulse is for each stuccato, this is really rough sounding here in the Silver version because their are no release trails. Now listen to Platinum here and you will here the effect of the distant mic\'s melting away the \"pulse\" from those stuccato\'s.

Rick

Go Back to forum