• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Accordian Dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Question about Accordian Dynamics

With a real accordian (as opposed to a sample library) does the player control dynamics the way one would on the organ (by adding additional pipes) or other means?

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: Question about Accordian Dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    With a real accordian (as opposed to a sample library) does the player control dynamics the way one would on the organ (by adding additional pipes) or other means?
    Well, the volume dynamics are controlled by the bellows. When I've used accordions in pieces, I've always just left the basic sound alone, and played its volume with the mod wheel in a somewhat limited dynamic range, keeping in mind the sort of volume changes an accordionist would be able to accomplish by squeezing the bellows.

As for other controls--Hmm, dunno. Google will help you out!

EDIT: I know you were asking about real accordions, not virtual ones, but I could only speak to what I've done in the MIDI realm. But I don't think there's a good analogy to pipe organs, since the volume on an accordion can be controlled dynamically.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. Your response was exactly what I after. I wanted to know if putting changes into the dynamics of my accordian parts would sound realistic.

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Thanks, Randy. Your response was exactly what I after. I wanted to know if putting changes into the dynamics of my accordian parts would sound realistic.
    Cool - Just picture an Accordionist working his squeeze box as you work with it. The volume range probably isn't as great on some other instruments, but for a realistic sound, you definitely want swells on some sustained notes, getting suddenly softer, going to forte, all of that, you bet!

Randy

Go Back to forum