• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New cues - please review

Share/Bookmark

New cues - please review

I know everyone is waiting for news from NAMM, BUT it you have time please take a listen to these two tunes.

1. \"Remember When...\"

This is a 180 degree shift from my last project. It is a shorter trio cue (w/strg pad). It\'s a simple little theme (reflective, somewhat pensive). It\'s somewhat loose - I just wanted to \'noodle\' around on the outro.

2. \"Urban Bike Ride\"

This is an exercise cue (pick a topic, write a cue). Scene: someone riding a bike, starting off on the outskirts of the city, early morning. Our protagonist transitions to busier and busier
    street life as they enter the city center by mid-day (stop laughing you guys - this is what amateurs do when they are just starting out learning.)

I would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.

http://166.70.131.48/mp3.html

Many thanks,

Rob

Re: New cues - please review

Alright, since its you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Remember When... is great, a nice original piece. The percussion sounds real and I\'m no expert on basses but the bass does sound real - is it?

I love Urban Bike Ride as well, it reminds me a bit of Dave Grusin - up until the choirs come in that is. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Btw whatever happend to Jerusalem? The song that is, not the place. You were going to make some changes to it but you didn\'t repost.

Originally posted by Hasen:
    Alright, since its you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Remember When... is great, a nice original piece. The percussion sounds real and I\'m no expert on basses but the bass does sound real - is it?

I love Urban Bike Ride as well, it reminds me a bit of Dave Grusin - up until the choirs come in that is. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Btw whatever happend to Jerusalem? The song that is, not the place. You were going to make some changes to it but you didn\'t repost.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thank Hasen for the nice comments. I have the somewhat outdated JV-1080 for alot of the percussion and basses ( I like their sounds but I really need to update the kits/basses now that I have Giga.) I also used some Liquid Grooves.

Thanks for the link to Grusin. He has always been one of my favorites. I never get the feeling that he plays \'one more note\' than he meant. As far as \"Bike Ride\", I just had a wild hair and dumped a bunch of colors and textures into a calderon (jazz, electronica, choral, etc...)

I re-mixed the O\'Jerusalem tune and I incorporated many of the suggestions from board members (made it tons better), but I am waiting for Nick\'s new library before I finish it off.)

Thanks again,

Rob

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    Hey Rob,

hope your trip is going well.

I really like Urban Bike Ride. This really wouldn\'t work in L.A.. About 10 seconds into the piece I\'m a hood ornament. I\'ll stick to mountain biking around here. I love the urban swells, nice touch.
    The snare at :59 sounds a little strong or mechanical to me. The harmonica? could use a little more personality. All in all very nice.

Remember When

Ah, this style is where I have lived for many years. I like your piano playing, nice notes, nice feel.

There are some serious problems though.
    Bass and Drums often don\'t lock and the loop used needs to be more flexable to make it work in this piece. Your drum loop is not tightly locked to itself. There is a rub between piano and bass at :14. Try to get loops you can cut up so that you can alter them as needed to match your ideas. Bass frequency is a little ringy. I try when doing Jazz stuff to keep the bass fairly dry as a general rule (Jaco etheral fretless stuff the exception).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great ideas, Craig. My I know I stink on the percussion side. I need to invest in some serious Drum libraries - any suggestions (loops or otherwise???)

Yea, the JV1080 harmonica is definitely without expression (I actually wish I had a killer jazz accordian sound to work with). I think (hope) that I can pick up more solo libraries this year to help the smaller more intimate arrangements (or least until I can afford to bring in the real thing, baby.)

Thanks again, my friend, for the input and suggestions. BTW - excellent review of the new libraries - very balanced review!!!!

Rob

Urban Bike Ride\" is great! I love it! What piano is it?

What are the woodwinds from? What verb did you use? If you dont mind me asking of course [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ed

Remember me is nice and I always love your stuff. However - to be sceptical - here are my comments:

I think you could go harder on the solos. The piano is somehow a little too much forward in regards of mixing and the bass/drums dont get connected. You are really onto something here - but you might wanna check out some Lyle Mays in regards of mixing piano towards jazzy drums and bass. Its a bit \"empty\", if you follow me and you could use some chasing with the basslines aswell. The bass needs to be more alive.

Urban ride totally reminds me of Yellowjackets. Very lovely composition. Mixing is better and it doesnt feel empty at all. Beautyful man. Only comments are the static drumbeat and the VOTA choir a bit much too forward. But I love it. You have a sweet sense of melody. Always a bit of oriental stuff in your pieces, interesting. But it needs another and more alive drumset. Superb!

Love - Chris

Wonderful stuff as always Rob!

Hi Rob,

Sent you an email with more details...but these pieces prove it\'s more the artist than the sampler. I have two JV-1080s...never got them to sound like this. So often our mindset is \"if we only acquired the right samples/sampler, everything would be great\" - these two tunes prove it\'s more the body sitting at the hardware/software that matters.

People (me) would pay to get a step by step detailed accounting of your technique/processes.

Like everyone else, I\'m waiting for the final \"street version\" of Jeruselum.

I like both pieces! Very cool vibe! I was expecting something different.

I would have to agree with most of Lewis\'s mixing comments though. But I don\'t mind repetitive drum loops. I do it all the time. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I like changes, but not if it makes the piece sound too busy, or \'changy\' for the sake of it.

This may not be the best place to say this but: I think \'some\' composers (not anyone here [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) at times get too caught up in the amount of notes instead of the feeling of the notes..... (not referring to you Rob, just a general comment)

Am I gonna be able to log on when I come back? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway...

Good work Rob!

Really nice pieces Rob!!! I felt nicely chilled after listening.

Especially liked the piano at the start of Urban Bike Ride. Beautiful!

You might like Spectrasonics Stylus if you\'re stuck for drum library ideas. It\'s a great source of loops and individual hits although perhaps a bit more lo-fi and grittier (in a good way) than what you\'ve used here.

I heard the drums on Remember When at half tempo. by that I mean the snare on beat 3 instead of 2 and 4. That\'s an alternative mix suggestion and by no means a criticism BTW!

Go Back to forum