• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keeping things in perspective

Keeping things in perspective

First, we have our synth rack modules. And we complained that they\'re fakey sounding. (at least the old ones are... )

Then hardware and software samplers came by and we raved about how much high quality sounding they are, and that bigger is better, and manufacturers heard us and gave us 40 CD sets, 7DVD sets of libraries, and we puff out our chest and said \"Yeah! Look at me stuff!\"

Then we\'re frozen in our tracks (no pun intended) from the thousands of choices we have to make, picking out which sample to use... and we complained how difficult, hard, time consuming it is to make a short mockup using our 30GB sample collection.

Then came GPO and Silver and we now are thankful for software that will do the *picking* of the articulation for us. It\'s the greatest thing since slice bread (or sliced sample). We don\'t have to wade through thousands of samples to create our mockup piece. Just select the instrument and play!

Did we just come full circle? Why not just use our hardware synth for the mockup piece?

Or, is the primary market of GPO and Silver are the people who don\'t have a rack of hardware synth modules? I\'d like to hear your opinions.

Personally, I find noodling and playing around my XV-5080 and Triton easy when I\'m just exploring ideas or doing a quick mockup. Then when its time to finalize it, that\'s when I load the big samples. Or am I the only one doing it this way?

Re: Keeping things in perspective

Owel, at the end of the day the synth modules just don\'t sound that great. The plethora of samples available allows users to create all sorts of things that the module world could never create. There\'s a lot of people that want to work that way, and enjoy the 30+ Gigs of samples to dig through. I personally enjoy coming up with ideas quicker then I can layer up all the articulations from a huge orchestra library. So GPO is for people like me - a better sound then modules, but less complicated then using the almost unlimited articulation options.

Full circle? Only if GPO sounds like a Roland 5080 - which I\'m pretty confident it doesn\'t. I\'ve never heard any 5080 demo sound like the GPO demos. GPO (and QLSO -silver) is not full circle, but rather it\'s a new evolution in the way we work.

I expect as things continue to evolve the larger libraries will be easier to work with as well. I think QLSO (even though I don\'t have it) already made large strides in that area. Technology is something that requires technical evolution - and it all builds. After a while the technology can get clunky, then someone comes along and takes all the new information and finds a way to scale it down and the evolution starts over again.

That\'s my take [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chandler, Arizona

Part of the GPO philosophy was making things easier to do like it was with hardware devices but not with the RAM and polyphony limitations. Most of the units only had from 4 MB to 16 MB of memory so the samples had to be compressed with the loop points quite early in the sample. Gary wanted to get away from the sample bloat (code bloat for those computer programs) that seams to be the way all the libraries (and programs) were going. It\'s so nice to actually be able to load up a full symphony orchestra in 1 GB of RAM and play it in realtime. This is something I couldn\'t even do with the hardware synths as I always ran out of polyphony and MIDI channels. It would have taken me a large rack of samplers (probably 6 or more) worth at least $10,000 not including the samples to play with the polyphony and MIDI channels that I\'m getting with a $249 library.

I still like more bigger libraries but I keep grabbing GPO because it\'s so quick and easy to work with.

Excellent point! I had both orchestral cards for my Roland XP-80 and they sounded great AND had a ton of variety. I remeber hearing the demo for the Orch 1 card. Pretty darn good for that time and even by todays standards. I remember thinking, Wow, when I get that card I\'ll be able to do that. Wrong... I do write better than I ever have but I get so caught up in \"gotta get the latest and geatest\" that I find myself spending more time surfing the web looking for libraries than actually composing. I am seriously looking at Silver but hope to God that it\'s up there with the quality of a library like Sam Horns \'cause I don\'t want to throw more money at something that is not what I hoped it to be. That\'s why I keep pushing for these individual sound demos like Project Sam does. This way I\'ll know if I\'m getting better sounds than my old Roland cards or if I have to up the ante to Gold. I can\'t tell you how many times I\'ve told my wife \"Honey just this one last instrument/library and I won\'t need anything else!\" Perhaps I should stop typing now and play 2 or 3 notes, you know... music!!!

It doesn\'t matter how many libraries are developed or how big or small they are - no one will ever be able to create the single library which is all things to all men.

There are simply too many subjective elements to deal with.

I think one of the best examples of this is probably the piano.

How hard can it be to emulate a piano? You hit the note hard or soft - that\'s it! It should be a snap to go into the studio with a few mics and a good engineer, whack out several velocities, tuck your hard disk under your arm, go home and edit a masterpiece.

Well just ask Michiel, Kip, Franky, Worra etc., and they\'ll fill you in.

It\'s not just about the quality of the recording, it\'s about the character. Close mic\'d, further away, mic choice, tuning etc.,

These elements and others impact to different degrees on different people\'s perceptions of how close a library comes to the \'perfect piano\'.

And, hey - is a Steinway better than a Bosie? Is a Kawai better than a Yamaha? They\'re different, and performers even pick different pianos on which to play different pieces.

How cool is it that we can have them all on a hard dsk which weighs ounces instead of having to engage piano removalists and tuners every time we want to switch instruments!

There are some jobs where the piano sound on my JV1080 fits perfectly, and others where I wouldn\'t consider it in a million years.

There are still times when I pull out a french horn sound I converted from an old pseudo 12 bit Emulator library. In some environments it simply fits perfectly.

Just because a library is big and expensive doesn\'t mean it will have all the timbres you need for all the music you might need to write.

Why not try to build up as wide a range of colours a possible? Why settle on a sampled instrument that doesn\'t sound right simply because the preset descripton is correct?

I\'ll never forget a programming session I did with a conmposer who had hired in a Kurzweil 250 and all its sounds for a film score. He\'d dial up a preset on the sampler, write his part in and listen back. So much of it sounded like garbage, but it wasn\'t his writing, it was the sounds. Just because the K250 preset said \'clarinet\' he assumed his clarinet part would sound right. It almost never did.

Unless you\'re writing in a very narrow genre, I don\'t think there can ever be such a thing as too many choices. Sure, you need to take time out to get to know the sounds - that\'s the price we pay for trying to be writer, engineer, percussionist, trombonist, flautist, violinist etc. But the scope this approach offers for one person is pretty amazing.

Now that I\'m getting a taste of some really great libraries, I dread the idea of going back to the old 1080 and trying to do it all on the one piece of hardware. What an unsatisfying chore that\'d be!

More libraries, more choices, more possibilities please!!!!!

Castle Rock, Colorado

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Now that I\'m getting a taste of some really great libraries, I dread the idea of going back to the old 1080 and trying to do it all on the one piece of hardware. What an unsatisfying chore that\'d be!

More libraries, more choices, more possibilities please!!!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m with you on this one. Well put!

Go Back to forum