• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Compositional Structure & Terms

Share/Bookmark

OT: Compositional Structure & Terms

Hi,

Having some issues with the structure of a composition.

I have an intro melody (plays through twice)
    then I have what I guess we call a bridge melody which sits on the same basic chords of the intro melody - run through this twice.

Then I repeat the above. May sound boring and repetitious, but it sounds ok. More instruments come in etc., and it seems to work.

Then I finally get to the main theme (what is this part called, the hook, maybe)? Chord progressions change under the main theme. Run through this part two or three times.

What does compostion structure say I should do next? Do I go back to the intro, or do I go back to the bridge melody? Or how about I incorporate the intro and bridge melodies together? Which I can easily do as they use the same base chords.

Any rules we look to?

Thanks,

Re: OT: Compositional Structure & Terms

This cannot be answered without listening. Also, I get uncomfortable with rules. It all depends on what YOU want it to be. Btw, you only have a few choices. Try them and see what\'s best. But please, no rules.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Hi Alex,

I have no musical training and had no clue if such rules are there. If it\'s really a game of simply listening and seeing what sounds right...guess I can do that.

And although you probably were not trying to be funny - you\'re statement \"you only have a few choices\" made me laugh. I guess I am making this process more complicated than it needs to be.

Of course, the choices are endless. Its like numbers, you can always pick a new one, and a new one, and...But if it\'s build like a song then there are not so many options. This is something I usually forget, if it gets really boring then work towards a new piece, work towards a climax. Something that is better than the other parts but is only heard once.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Hi Joanne,

My only suggestion is to listen to several pieces you really like. Choose one. Perhaps the reason for the choice in a piece is for the way it moves us emotionally through the use of harmony, counterpoint, and structure.

Now analyze. Dissect this chosen composition into musical sections, and define where the composer is going with it structurally. How does it begin? Is the beginning echoed somewhere else in the piece? How does the composer develop the theme? His use of counterpoint against melody, a chorus of some kind, a bridge leading to it, what? Map it out in exacting detail, and then ask yourself again why you like it.

Do this on other pieces you respect and admire, and you may begin to see a pattern of what moves you personally in the way the composer constructs the piece. Rather than emulate the pieces you like, you can instead use the structural content you defined by this exercise to apply to your own compositions.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Of course, the choices are endless. Its like numbers, you can always pick a new one, and a new one, and...But if it\'s build like a song then there are not so many options.
    ------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Alex, that is exactly right. If you want to build - which unless you are writing for a particular sniplet of video, building is a goal, then there really aren\'t too many options. Except for the counterpoint, that is endless, and can always be better. Thanks for taking a stab at this - your general thoughts have been helpful.

Fredrick,

I\'m ashamed to say I\'ve never done what you\'ve suggested. It would be absolutely amazing to me if I really did find a pattern in the peices I like - espeically with structure of the overall compostion. This is where I tend to fall down, and thanks for the constructive \"something I can do to help myself\" suggestion.

Thank you.

If it\'s really a game of simply listening and seeing what sounds right...guess I can do that.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s amazing how many times this has given me new inspiration that I would have never thought of until trying it out. Sometimes its better not to think about it but just try and see what it sounds like.

Hi

One thing my music teacher (David Conte @ the San francisco Conservatory,ace bloke that\'s why I mention him) taught me, that was sooooooooo useful is when writing tonal music, on a piece of paper write down the key, say Cmaj. Beside it write the Parallel minor A. Underneath write the minor mode Cmin and the Parallel of that Eb Maj.

To the right repeat the process a five up ie: Gmaj/Emin and Underneath Gmin/Bbmaj.

And to the left repeat the process ie: Fmaj/Dmin and Underneath Dmaj/Bmin.

You now have eleven potential places to transpose your melodies or themes to.

I hope you find this as useful as I did.

ed

Originally posted by ed buller:

You now have eleven potential places to transpose your melodies or themes to.

ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very , VERY interesting ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Thank you for sharing !!

Veron

Go Back to forum