• Register
  • Help

Topic: EQ control via midi

Share/Bookmark

EQ control via midi

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to control the EQ settings in the Aria Player via a midi controller. I realize changing the mod wheel while playing effects the volume and tone quality, but EQ changes with the rise and fall of volume really adds some nice color changes - especially in the brass instruments.

If this is not possible, does anyone know of any possible workarounds? Perhaps assigning the midi clip to 3 different tracks, each at a different EQ level and crossfading between each? Is that possible - crossfading between tracks? Is it possible to set the mod wheel up to work in the inverse?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

Re: EQ control via midi

If you are using a DAW, then a simpler solution would be direct the output of the instrument to an audio track, and on that audio track automate a simple 3rd party EQ. Very likely your DAW will have its own EQ plugin.

If instead you're using notation...that could be tricky.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

+1 to Graham "Plowking's" advice.

I don't see how it would be possible in a notation program, but this is the sort of thing DAW software excells at. Sonar's my program, and it has Sonitus EQ units strapped by default to each track. As Graham said, those plugins and any that you use can be automated. In Sonar, with a right click, you can see a list of what parameters can be controlled, and in a second window you can arm any or all of those parameters. During playback, you just grab and move a control, and automation data is recorded.

EQ automation is part of my bag of tricks in working on recordings. Just as you said Mark, to be able to change the tone of an instrument during playback can help a lot, like getting the brass even brassier during crescendos.

And so the EQ knobs in ARIA can't be controller by MIDI. Your idea of a work-around is clever and it work, but would be a lot more work than what Graham and I are talking about. But yes, sure you can crossfade between tracks in DAW software. That's just an extension of whatt can always be done during mixing, automating the volume of audio tracks up and down as needed. For a crossfade, you're just automating one track down, then on another pass, you're automating the other one up. If audio clips are on the same track, there's an automatic crossfade function in Sonar and probably most programs where the clips smoothly crossfade when you drag the end of one clip to go on top of the other.

But - Hopefully you're using a recording program where you can automate, because the better method is automate an EQ plugin, then you'd be set to start experimenting with your excellent idea.

Randy

+1 to Graham "Plowking's" advice.

I don't see how it would be possible in a notation program, but this is the sort of thing DAW software excells at. Sonar's my program, and it has Sonitus EQ units strapped by default to each track. As Graham said, those plugins and any that you use can be automated. In Sonar, with a right click, you can see a list of what parameters can be controlled, and in a second window you can arm any or all of those parameters. During playback, you just grab and move a control, and automation data is recorded.

EQ automation is part of my bag of tricks in working on recordings. Just as you said Mark, to be able to change the tone of an instrument during playback can help a lot, like getting the brass even brassier during crescendos.

And so the EQ knobs in ARIA can't be controller by MIDI. Your idea of a work-around is clever and it work, but would be a lot more work than what Graham and I are talking about. But yes, sure you can crossfade between tracks in DAW software. That's just an extension of whatt can always be done during mixing, automating the volume of audio tracks up and down as needed. For a crossfade, you're just automating one track down, then on another pass, you're automating the other one up. If audio clips are on the same track, there's an automatic crossfade function in Sonar and probably most programs where the clips smoothly crossfade when you drag the end of one clip to go on top of the other.

But - Hopefully you're using a recording program where you can automate, because the better method is automate an EQ plugin, then you'd be set to start experimenting with your excellent idea.

Randy

Thank you both - Plowking and Randy. Yes - I am using a DAW - Studio One by Presonus. The EQ on each audio track seems to be the best bet. I should have thought of that one!

Thanks again.

Mike

Thank you to Plowking and Randy.

The EQ on the audio tracks seems to be the best bet. I should have thought of that!

Thanks again.

Mike

Go Back to forum