• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Having problems posting?

Share/Bookmark

Question Having problems posting?

Issues with the functioning of the Forum are reported periodically, and usually the problems aren't universally experienced. We each seem to have our own problems or lack of problems depending on our computers and what we're doing to block things online.

I've been using Adblock Plus, a Firefox plugin for some time now, and it's helped me at the Forum. When things get wonky, I check off another "blockable item" to the list and things speed up a bit - that list can be long, So many things get loaded when we're on a Forum page.

--But - For over a week now I've again had that recurring problem of slow page loads, and it's getting worse. Often, the page is being displayed, so I can get on with reading or writing posts, but I can see from the tab in my browser that the page isn't really fully loaded, and at the bottom left is the omnipresent message "waiting for northern sounds."

What others have reported before is true for me - This is the Only place I frequent online that has these problems. I can go to my newspapers, Facebook, YouTube, new pages I look up, and they all load speedily. I just have to expect things to go much differently, as in SLOooooowly when I'm here.

PapaChalk has helped us out in the past with problems which are universally experienced, like when we all can see that certain words are suddenly being blocked, rendering a lot of posts indecipherable. That has to do with the Forum's spam-blocking software, and has been readjusted several times. But when it comes to the more general problem of slow downloads, it really is different on an individual basis, and it's up to each person to do what they can to filter ads and do whatever else they can to make the Forum load reasonably well.

So -two questions:

1) How is your relative page load speed these days?

2) MORE IMPORTANTLY - Are you having problems posting?

Consistently now for several days, after writing a post and clicking to get it up on the Forum, a white screen comes up with the following error message:

Couldn't resolve host 'api.bit.ly' on line 181 in /home/northern/public_html/forum/includes/bitly.php
    #0 /home/northern/public_html/forum/includes/bitly.php(382): Bitly->doCall('shorten', Array)
    #1 /home/northern/public_html/forum/newreply.php(936) : eval()'d code(26): Bitly->shorten('http://www.nort...')
    #2 /home/northern/public_html/forum/newreply.php(936): eval()
    #3 {main}

It makes it look that your post is lost and you'll just have to start over. But that isn't the case. I go to a blank space on the screen, right click and choose Reload - After awhile (quite awhile) the page reloads and there's a new Northern Sounds-specific error message saying that my post is a duplicate of one already posted. After a second or two, the page refreshes, and you can see the post that looked temporarily lost.

SO - posts aren't disappearing, but it's a drag and a bother to go through what I've described every time I post.

Anyone else having that issue? If it's being experienced by all of us, then it's a Forum software problem that we'll need to report to PapaChalk.

Randy

Re: Having problems posting?

1) How is your relative page load speed these days?

2) MORE IMPORTANTLY - Are you having problems posting?
    Yes on both counts. Right now as I am posting, I have no tools available to edit text size, fonts, etc. I am doing this the old fashion way but using script commands that I remember.

I will come to this site and the main forum page will take way too long to load up. There are times I just give up and come back later.

This is frustrating as I don't experience this problem at any other site. Well other than my ISP's website and it is a terrible site for doing anything so I hardly ever go there.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Yes on both counts. Right now as I am posting, I have no tools available to edit text size, fonts, etc. I am doing this the old fashion way but using script commands that I remember.

I will come to this site and the main forum page will take way too long to load up. There are times I just give up and come back later.

This is frustrating as I don't experience this problem at any other site. Well other than my ISP's website and it is a terrible site for doing anything so I hardly ever go there.
    Thanks for the confirmation, Rich - I think we need to report this "Couldn't resolve host 'api.bit.ly..." error message to PapaChalk. I do hope at least a few more people can post here if they're seeing that specific problem. It will help if Papa, the admin, knows for sure that it's a problem we're all experiencing.

It's a total drag to navigate around and post on the Forum currently. You know me, I stick to it, but I'm sure a lot of people would just back out in disgust without doing any posting.

Just now I responded to a few pieces in The Listening Room and I timed how long it took from "submit reply" until that weird error message showed up - a full 30 seconds, and then more time added as the bogus "you just posted" message comes up and the page finally re-loads.

I'm not missing my text tools when posting - But in the past I went through that same problem, of having to type all the code myself. BUT this will help - down at the bottom of the page you'll see "BB Code is on"--Click that and it takes you to a page listing all the codes you can use. That's a big help when all else fails.

BY THE WAY, Richard, I tried to reply to your PM the other day but your in box was full so I couldn't get my reply to you. Old news now, but you'll want to thin your messages out if you haven't already.

Thanks again.

Anyone else with these kinds of problems?

Randy

Red face Re: Having problems posting?

Well, it's about two hours down the road, and at least for me there do not appear to be posting issues...

I',m on Chrome and have five different windows open right now. The "reply" window came up pretty much as usual- quick, clean and seems to be fully functional..

EDIT- nope... I was wrong. It posted my reply, but left me looking at the error messages mentioned above. As I presume it will this time.

k
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    ...EDIT- nope... I was wrong. It posted my reply, but left me looking at the error messages mentioned above. As I presume it will this time.

k
    Thanks for checking in on this, Kevin - It's a small sample of Forum members, but with 3 of us seeing that same strange error message, I think that's a good indication it's a universal problem. I'll write to PapaChalk and paste in the code for him to see. Thanks.

Randy

Error on reply from here too.
    But it eventually shows as posted.
    And the text editor refreshes itself randomly, loosing carriage returns and formatting.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Error on reply from here too.
    But it eventually shows as posted.
    And the text editor refreshes itself randomly, loosing carriage returns and formatting.
    Thanks for the report, Fabio - That for sure clinches it that there's a problem to be fixed. Posts do eventually go up, but not everyone is so persistent - I think some folks may leave the site before all the error messages are done.

The text editor for me is just often really slow to load - I look at a white box for awhile before the controls appear.

Thanks - I've reported this to the admin, PaPaChalk.

Randy

Testing testing - I just posted in the LR, and the error didn't come up. I think maybe the problem's already fixed.--

EDIT: Yep! This test went up just fine - Well, page load is still slow, and I had blank screen for awhile before I could add this edit, but it's all much faster than earlier today, and the main thing, those error messages aren't coming up.

PaPaChalk!---I bet we have you to thank - Thanks!

R

My problem with posting has been going on for at least two years and occurs on three different computers in two different locations. I type my response, press "submit reply," and everything disappears and I get the message Northern Sounds is not responding. Then no matter what I do, my submission disappears and I have to start all over again. I have learned to copy my text before submitting it so that I can keep trying until it finely takes without having to retype the whole thing again. The forum is the ONLY web, blog or forum where I have this problem. I can not subscribe to the idea that it is my system.

I have the same problem posting with the error page coming up.

Also, pages usually take a long time to come up. I tried Google Chrome but it didn't help.

Maybe the problems will vary depending on your ISP but I'd say that either this site's code is pretty screwed up and needs some major maintenance or it bandwidth has been cut back to the point where it barely functions.

Phil

Go Back to forum