• Register
  • Help

Topic: Euphonium Dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Euphonium Dynamics

Yet another Euphonium question:

According to RK the French Horn is about half as loud as a trumpet or trombone, when playing at its loudest. So, 2 French Horns in unison at fff equal one trumpet at the same dynamic. I am wondering if this also holds true for the Euphonium. I have read some posts by trombone players taking up the Euphonium, who say that they have to blow harder to sound loud. But that really doesn't tell me if a Euphonium is capable of sounding as loud as a trumpet or trombone.

I guess what I really want to know is, in my score, should the Euphonium part be marked at a louder dynamic than the trumpet and trombone when they are playing loudly. For example, if I have the trumpets at f, should the Euphonium be marked as ff or fff, if I want them to sound equal in strength?

Thanks.

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: Euphonium Dynamics

No. Blending is the conductor's job. I have never seen that in any band score. I have scored pieces for 6 trumpets, 10+ trombones, and when the 3 euphoniums come in you can still hear them plain as day. We don't go by Mr. Rimsky's dynamics anymore. Score them all the same dynamics unless you are going for a special effect.
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    No. Blending is the conductor's job. I have never seen that in any band score. I have scored pieces for 6 trumpets, 10+ trombones, and when the 3 euphoniums come in you can still hear them plain as day. We don't go by Mr. Rimsky's dynamics anymore. Score them all the same dynamics unless you are going for a special effect.
    ~Rod
    Hi, Rodney - Good to see you here! When I read this question, I knew it was a good one for you. Glad to see your reply, from which I learned something, as I always do from what you write.

Randy

Thanks for your replies. Just what I needed to know.

Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum