• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Great samples for jazz trio: demo

Share/Bookmark

Great samples for jazz trio: demo

After a lot of searching and trial and error, I think I\'ve assembled some great samples for a jazz trio: Drums- StudioCat Purrrfect Drums(Halion); Bass- Trilogy Acoustic; Piano- PMI Grandioso Steimway D Dry 16 layer with releases converted for use with Halion.

Here is a demo of an original composition:
    http://RayLindsley.com/Birds_Blues.mp3

Re: Great samples for jazz trio: demo

By the way, I welcome any input on the demo (I\'m already thinking the piano should be a little more prominent in the mix). It\'s called Bird\'s Blues because it\'s based on typical chord changes that Parker liked to use for blues (like Blues for Alice). i also pay homage to Bird by quoting some of his licks in the piano improv section.
    Thanks

Not that I endorse the practice of sequencing \"jazz\", but you might consider checking out the old Peter Erskine drum library from Sampleheads. It\'s old school in that not every drum is sampled a gazillion times, but the vibe is still 10x better than anything to hit giga....well, almost anything... but I can\'t talk about that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The bass is fine. Piano sounds fine but.... it don\'t mean a thing.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    cheers!
    -Jamey

Thanks for for the feedback. I have the Erskine samples, too, and they sound great, but I find they are a little too limited, and you end up with more of a machine gun type of effect from triggering the same sample over-and-over. If he ever expanded the library, it would be fantastic!

I would say that you would be better served by focusing on style and vibe, rather than anything that would render \"machine gun\" effect.
    It\'s funny to me that my term \"machine gun effect\" has become common language around here. I saw it in the liner notes to the SAM horns yesterday as well. I should have copyrighted it.
    -Jamey

Originally posted by IOComposer:
    I would say that you would be better served by focusing on style and vibe, rather than anything that would render \"machine gun\" effect.
    It\'s funny to me that my term \"machine gun effect\" has become common language around here. I saw it in the liner notes to the SAM horns yesterday as well. I should have copyrighted it.
    -Jamey
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Is that semi-automatic, or full auto? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for sharing the piece with us, Ray. The samples sound fine to my ears.

Hey Ray,
    I thought it was a good combo sound. Didn\'t feel that the piano needed to be more up front in the mix, tho. Good production all around. Agree a bit with the drum comments. I felt the first minute or so of the piano track sounded a bit... quantized? A little shuffle might give it a bit more pizzazz. MHO.
    Nice though.
    A soothing change from all that damn classical film type music people are constantly posting around here [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

cb

Thanks for the feedback. I did go back and add a little reverb. As far as the drums, is it the samples or the sequencing that is lacking?

Originally posted by IOComposer:
    Not that I endorse the practice of sequencing \"jazz\", but you might consider checking out the old Peter Erskine drum library from Sampleheads. It\'s old school in that not every drum is sampled a gazillion times, but the vibe is still 10x better than anything to hit giga....well, almost anything... but I can\'t talk about that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The bass is fine. Piano sounds fine but.... it don\'t mean a thing.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    cheers!
    -Jamey
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">...I\'m about to pick up DFH for a project that requires some Jazz infected neo soul....any thoughts on this ? Would be using it for pre-production but would be nice if the sounds were good enough to stay in the project.

-david abraham

DFH samples are really good for agressive rock, but don\'t really work for jazz. Jazz players usually have a lighter touch (although there are exceptions- Elvin Jones really pounded the skins in a lot of his work with Coltrane). the equipment they use is also much different. Somebody else posted here that they goy DFH for jazz work and was really dissapointed. However, DFH Superior is coming out and it sounds like that will have a huge variety and will have some jazz oriented kits and articulations. unfortunately, it won\'t be out until the beginning of the year.

Go Back to forum