• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonata Fantasy

Share/Bookmark

Sonata Fantasy

The middle movement of this work was stubborn and difficult to work with until I realized it was not the middle movement, but the opening. Now it works, at least, so it seems to me. Length, about 14 minutes. Plenty of 10ths in the bass (first movement) will cause some trouble for small hands (mine!). I may change the name to Sonata of Tenths.

Sonata Fantasy

To listen only, there is an mp3 button in the header area. To read the score, there are instructions.

The mp3 uses GPO Steinway.

Richard

Re: Sonata Fantasy

Some fascinating development in this piece. Contemplative and most enjoyable to follow!

Well, thank you, David. I also enjoy listening to it. Sometimes it seems like I am listening to it for the first time, being pleasantly surprised by the harmonies.

Richard

I enjoyed this piece. I feel like I have been on a journey of sorts. I am not a pianist but it sounds like, in addition to the tenths, this might have been a challenging piece to play.

Well, Richard, I think you are right. Quite difficult, but not intentionally. If I simplify, much is lost.

Richard

Richard,

The harmonic sound of this is amazing! I've never heard the piano sound quite this way before, and it is a real eye-opener.

Not only is it the vertical chord harmony that's unique, but also the horizontal flow of harmonic sequence that just seems to fit together like a stain glass window. The shapes just come together in a gorgeous finished result.

Really impressed by this Richard. Thanks for sharing.

Cass

Well, Cass, I sure do appreciate your views! I had a difficult time with the first movement, and nearly trashed the whole thing a few times, but in the end, I liked it quite a bit. I wanted to make it a bit easier, but narrowing the intervals was a bad idea, as was any other form of simplification. It simply has to stand as it is, difficult as it may be to perform.

Richard

Well Richard,

There was a lot to listen to with this work. It's so musically over whelming that I just let it go through me and try to grasp what I can. It was a good listening work out and I enjoyed it.

Age sure hasn't affected your intellectual/musical vigor.

Phil

Hi Richard

This is indeed a hell of a piece to perform. This recording sounds a bit mechanical, but I'm sure a good performer can make the compiled harmonies sing in the first part! Amazing. It reminds me of the last section of 10 variations by H. Roelstraete on a children's song (A vous dirai-je, maman): He used similar vertical extended harmonies too, all 8-notes-chords. But I like the second part best. It's such a subtle tissue of counterpoint evolving in a clear direction like some kind of perpetuum mobile. The third part adds the joyful note to the entire piece.

A real challenge for every pianist, in styles but in techniques as well!

Thank you truly for sharing!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Well Richard,

There was a lot to listen to with this work. It's so musically over whelming that I just let it go through me and try to grasp what I can. It was a good listening work out and I enjoyed it.

Age sure hasn't affected your intellectual/musical vigor.

Phil
    Well, that is the best way to listen to any music!

Physical vigor has not kept pace! My mother frequently told me, beginning when I was a small child, that you can't stop the physical degradation, but you can keep your mind functional if you take care to use it. It worked for her, and my father, and I am trying to make it work for me.

Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast