• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bill brown

Share/Bookmark

Bill brown

mmmm,

Is it me or does Bill\'s sample made music sound just like the live scores? Apart from the spectrasonics stuff.

Re: Bill brown

He uses live players a lot, and some of his scores are actually live as far as I know.

Way before I got into giga, I had no idea realistic midi compositions were possible. When I heard Bill Browns Rainbow Six music, I thought it was really a live orchestra playing the tunes. AFTER I got gigastudio though, I developed an \'ear\' and now I hear the seams required in sampled compositions. I\'m not bashing Bill Browns midi chops because he is part of just a handful of mock-upers whos stuff is close to the real thing. I\'m sure a lot of that is owed not only to his midi-wiz skills, but also his custom samples.

Ive always liked the way he structures his music.
    He does make similar references to other music he has done....But to be honest i really like his music...It just works really well.

I spoke to him a while back about reverb settings.. he always tries to record samples in obscure ways to get a different feel to his music.

I would say it works.

I spoke to him a while back about reverb settings.. he always tries to record samples in obscure ways to get a different feel to his music.

I would say it works. [/QB][/QUOTE]

That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes regarding art (though I forgot who said it):
    \"There existed gold paint at the time, but Rembrandt didn\'t use it to paint a Roman helmet.\"

If all painters used the colors (I guess I should be saying colours in this case) right out of the tube, they would lose a lot of their unique and quality and personal style. As musicians, our sounds are our palettes of color. It is how we tweak and process thaose \"colors\" that help us to create our own unique voice and style.

Bill is one of the few who are a master of both the live (recorded) score and the virtual orchestra. A recent example of his mix of live and virtual is his \"Lineage II\" score, in which the strings were real and the rest is virtual (with a lot of SAMs brass in there (he is a beta tester)):
    http://www.billbrownmusic.com/musicG5.htm#LineageII

If you want to hear Bill speak about this subject of the mix of real and virtual in particular, then attend our session at the GDC. Here is a little write-up and link to this session:

The Game Developer Conference (GDC) is coming up in March 2004, which is attended by over 16,000 developers, sound designers and game composers. Part of this conference is what is called \"The Audio Track\" which concentrates only on game audio and music with numerous sessions/lectures devoted to sound and music. As the organizer and lead for a proposal, I have been approved for a two-hour session called \"The Virtual and Mixed Media Orchestra for Game Music\", which incidentally will feature two of the most popular and successful game composers in the business. Read about the session here at the GDC web site:
    http://www.cmpevents.com/GDx/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=2096
    (Do a search on \"DOYLE\" if the link does not go to my session.)

Lineage II is my favourite from him so far...the trailer piece is so good...
    I tought it was all live.

Alex

I think that the Lineage II trailer was the only piece of music that i wasnt all that fond of..

I cant place any faults with it or anything like that. Something just bugs me about it.

Heh...thats very interesting...I personaly don\'t care that much about his Rainbow6 series..

What don\'t you like about Lineage trailer?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Originally posted by ninriggs:
    I think that the Lineage II trailer was the only piece of music that i wasnt all that fond of..

I cant place any faults with it or anything like that. Something just bugs me about it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Really? I thought his Lineage music is his best to date.

Ed

There is just something missing from it from what i hear..

Ive not been able to put my finger on it. It might be something as simple as im not keen on the overall tune.

I might have to listen to it again.

Go Back to forum