• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Apocálypsis - work in progress

Share/Bookmark

Apocálypsis - work in progress

I am not finished with this piece yet, but I there are two things I worked out here that show how much better GPO and GIO are than other similarly priced libraries. First I used some fading techniques on the choir. I used GIO silvery choir and GPO Ohhs then faded to a GIO silvery choir with different tweaks and GPO Ahhs. This made a nice effect that make the libraries sound much richer.

Also, I have an aggressive and repetitive string part that suffers from machine-gun effect on all my libraries but Garritan. This string technique is hard to make sound real on other libraries but sounds great here.

This is for a Game/Film genre, but gives you an idea of where it is going. The flute is a live Native American flute I picked on vacation in Tombstone.

Apocálypsis

Jim

Re: Apocálypsis - work in progress

Ohh, Ahh! Neat trick! Never thought much of the GPO/GIO choirs patches but I definitely need to give them a second look.

The ambiance seemed quite well balanced. Did you use the built-in Aria reverb?

Enjoyed the flute part as well. A much better souvenir choice than the "Tombstone Rocks!" T-Shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bendshadler View Post
    Ohh, Ahh! Neat trick! Never thought much of the GPO/GIO choirs patches but I definitely need to give them a second look.

The ambiance seemed quite well balanced. Did you use the built-in Aria reverb?

Enjoyed the flute part as well. A much better souvenir choice than the "Tombstone Rocks!" T-Shirt.
    I used the Aria reverb for some of the instruments.

Thanks for the listen.

Really nice work, Jim - Right there in the "Game/Film genre" pocket you're aiming for. All the effects you mention in your post work great, the cross-fading of the choirs, non-machine gun strings - AND your performance on the primitive flute sounds really nice.

Interesting spelling choice - "Apocálypsis" being more like the original Greek than the usual Apocalypse which is used more often.

This is going to be great fun for you to continue work on. Thanks for letting us in on the work in progress!

Randy

This is superb, Jim. Great cinematic sound and example of what some audio production know-how can do to the sound and mix regardless of the libraries being used. The strings would benefit from a little more 'bite' or bow sound on the attacks, on the downbeats, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Perhaps overlay another staccato marcato sample directly on the attack (if you have one available) - not sure if that would work or not depending on what you have available.

The flute and percussion sound excellent also.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks Randy and Graham.

I am happy overall with the progress and still looking to really hone in on the strings next (I agree with Graham's bowing comments). I did find that the JABB Arco 2 Bass is really nice for this kind of string part for the basses anyways.

I will keep plowing ahead (no pun intended).

Jim

Thanks to Graham for the idea on the extra Martele on the strings. I posted another version with more string bite on the notes. Much better.

Jim

This sounds just great to me. I love the percussion. I am looking forward to hearing more. A very nice post. Jay

It sounds great!

I didn't hear the previous version but the strings sound strong.

I'm not aware of many libraries in the Garritan price range. Most libraries seem to be in the several hundred to a thousand dollars or more range. Ouch!

Phil

Jim, if you happened to listen to any of my pieces you will understand that your style is for today, while mine is of yesterday, so, when I say I like very much this work of yours it has more sincere praise than if it would come from a young one.
    Great, I can not wait until you, hopefully, let us hear it when finished.
    Thanks for posting it...

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast