• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO + Casio DH 100 wind controller

Share/Bookmark

GPO + Casio DH 100 wind controller

The Casio DH 100 is a very old wind controller:

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/casio_dh100/

i found one of these toys at a flea market and i did not resist to buy it. i must say it is AWESOME!

I did a quck test with GPO, playing a flute and adding an harp and a cello:

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/test-casio-dh-100

I must admit i did not played live the legato, and i added the CC64 after the recording, but the expression, note and feelings are played live with no edits.

Just a note: this instruments transmit aftertouch instead of CC2 (breath control). so i had to edit the patche in kontakt 5 to effectively use it.

I really LOVE this instrument!!

Re: GPO + Casio DH 100 wind controller

Quote Originally Posted by bosone View Post
    The Casio DH 100 is a very old wind controller:

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/casio_dh100/

i found one of these toys at a flea market and i did not resist to buy it. i must say it is AWESOME!

I did a quck test with GPO, playing a flute and adding an harp and a cello:

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/test-casio-dh-100

I must admit i did not played live the legato, and i added the CC64 after the recording, but the expression, note and feelings are played live with no edits.

Just a note: this instruments transmit aftertouch instead of CC2 (breath control). so i had to edit the patche in kontakt 5 to effectively use it.

I really LOVE this instrument!!
    That is just SO Great!--- Oh man, you sent me down memory lane. I bought one of those shortly after it came out. People didn't know what to make of it when it came out in the mid '80's. It looked like a toy, was made of cheap plastic - Nobody could take it seriously. The music store I frequented decided they'd made a mistake ordering them, so blew them out the door for something like $25. I used it once in awhile to add breath control to MIDI tracks, but then stored it away until I saw years later that people were seeking them out, and I sold it for $100.

You're saying it uses AfterTouch for volume--? I'm pretty sure that's not correct. When I plugged it into my set up, I was controlling the volume of tracks I'd recorded with a non-velocity sensitive keyboard, and the data was CC2 as I recall.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That is just SO Great!--- Oh man, you sent me down memory lane. I bought one of those shortly after it came out. People didn't know what to make of it when it came out in the mid '80's. It looked like a toy, was made of cheap plastic - Nobody could take it seriously. The music store I frequented decided they'd made a mistake ordering them, so blew them out the door for something like $25. I used it once in awhile to add breath control to MIDI tracks, but then stored it away until I saw years later that people were seeking them out, and I sold it for $100.

You're saying it uses AfterTouch for volume--? I'm pretty sure that's not correct. When I plugged it into my set up, I was controlling the volume of tracks I'd recorded with a non-velocity sensitive keyboard, and the data was CC2 as I recall.

Randy

glad to help recalling you some good memory!
    actually, i do not understand how velocity is controlled, but i assure you that the breath blow instensity controls the aftertouch. So i changed CC1 with aftertouch in the flute patch.
    Unfortunately, CC2 is not sent!
    also, for portamento it uses CC65 instead of CC64, but to effectively use it yo uneed some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bosone View Post
    glad to help recalling you some good memory!
    actually, i do not understand how velocity is controlled, but i assure you that the breath blow instensity controls the aftertouch. So i changed CC1 with aftertouch in the flute patch.
    Unfortunately, CC2 is not sent!
    also, for portamento it uses CC65 instead of CC64, but to effectively use it yo uneed some practice.
    Thanks for the reply, Bosone - You know, it's been So long since I used my Casio DH, it looks like I forgot exactly what I did with it. I must have used its AfterTouch for recording vibrato on my MIDI tracks back then. AT has controlled MIDI vibrato since forever. I was thinking it was CC1 I was recording, but now this does ring a bell.

Hmm, so it doesn't seem to have volume control by default I guess. Good job on re-routing the AT so it's controlling the volume, as we can hear in your recording. Don't worry about no CC2 - that is a volume control, but its effect isn't any different from CC1. Does the same thing.

You're making great use of it - Congrats on the purchase.---I Am curious how much you paid for it, if I may ask.

Randy

mine was faulty and i bought it in a place where people substrantially "throw away" old useless things...
    i payd 15 euro and i had to fix the "squeeze" noise that is common in old DH 100. but it involved just the replacement of a capacitor.

i would say that if you can find one of these for a cheap price, and you are able to play a wind instrument, it is a no brain purchase!
    maybe you have to deal with some midi trick to exchange the aftertouch with a CC but it can be done also with midi-ox

Go Back to forum