• Register
  • Help

Topic: ARIA volume sliders

Share/Bookmark

ARIA volume sliders

I know this has been discussed in length and to the point it is ad nauseam. I just don't understand when something doesn't work like it usually does in other projects. I am just messing around with an old midi file of a standard piece and the sliders for each channel of the ARIA player that I am using will NOT stay put. I have checked for CC#7, I have checked the automation tracks and removed any volume assignments in Sonar there but for the life of me I can't stop the sliders from resetting to where they want to be (usually about halfway) even after I move them to other places or full off. I am sure something is buried in the midi file but I am at a loss as to where it would be.

Any suggestions from anyone? No big deal, I can just put a CC#7 at the beginning of each track and set the sliders to where I want. It is just maddening not to find out why those sliders seem to have a mind of their own.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: ARIA volume sliders

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I know this has been discussed in length and to the point it is ad nauseam. I just don't understand when something doesn't work like it usually does in other projects. I am just messing around with an old midi file of a standard piece and the sliders for each channel of the ARIA player that I am using will NOT stay put. I have checked for CC#7, I have checked the automation tracks and removed any volume assignments in Sonar there but for the life of me I can't stop the sliders from resetting to where they want to be (usually about halfway) even after I move them to other places or full off. I am sure something is buried in the midi file but I am at a loss as to where it would be.

Any suggestions from anyone? No big deal, I can just put a CC#7 at the beginning of each track and set the sliders to where I want. It is just maddening not to find out why those sliders seem to have a mind of their own.
    It really can seem like our software is possessed sometimes, Rich, with those darned volume sliders not doing what we want.

#1 thing to make a Forever habit - NEVER use the ARIA sliders to set your volumes in Sonar. It's easiest to always follow that rule. I never touch them except maybe initially when I'm auditioning a sound.

Use the MIDI volume sliders in Sonar. They control ARIA's sliders. Always use that Track Inspector to move things where you want, the ARIA mixer will follow suit.

When dealing with an already existing file, whether we found it online, or it's an old project of our own, there's quite possibly going to be some CC7 data which isn't immediately noticeable. Use the Event List View, click the controls to turn off display of Notes, Pitch Bend - everything but CC data. Look through it. AND be sure to click the 4th menu control from the right, labeled "Show cropped." That will display the data in clips which have been cropped and where "invisible" data is likely to be lurking.

The fact that your sliders are popping back into an unexpected place means they're either following the levels of your MIDI sliders in Sonar, or they're obeying the data which is currently hidden.

Randy

Thanks Randy. After digging deeper into the problem I think I found the culprit. Sonar X2 has automation lanes that do in fact have default settings for volume, pan, patch, etc. I just set those where I want the input from ARIA to be and all is well. I just want the signal from ARIA to be hot enough to get a good bounce to an audio track.

I would imagine those default settings are probably in the original midi file that I was working from. It is not a file of mine but a commercially available file from years ago.

All is workable now.

Thanks and just maybe this conversation will help others as well.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thanks Randy. After digging deeper into the problem I think I found the culprit. Sonar X2 has automation lanes that do in fact have default settings for volume, pan, patch, etc. I just set those where I want the input from ARIA to be and all is well...
    Rich, the automation envelopes don't appear until you ask them to, and then when you do, they're at the same defaults you see in the MIDI Inspector module. In a new, blank project, MIDI volume is at 101, Pan is at Center. If you move the controls in the module, the Inspector before you create the automation line, it, that envelope, will appear at whatever setting you've done there with the controls. See? If there's an automation track in a project, that will indeed be in control, and that volume data, CC7 (which the envelope represents) will control ARIA's mixer. In other words, the vertical automation slider in a MIDI Inspector and an automation envelope, if you want one, are controls for the same thing - See?

Randy

If you move the controls in the module, the Inspector before you create the automation line, it, that envelope, will appear at whatever setting you've done there with the controls. See? If there's an automation track in a project, that will indeed be in control, and that volume data, CC7 (which the envelope represents) will control ARIA's mixer. In other words, the vertical automation slider in a MIDI Inspector and an automation envelope, if you want one, are controls for the same thing - See?
    It is much clearer now. So much stuff in these programs. So little time to learn it all.

Rich

Go Back to forum