• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chris Hadfield the singing astronaut-MUST SEE if you haven't-watch again if you have!

Share/Bookmark

Re: Chris Hadfield the singing astronaut-MUST SEE if you haven't-watch again if you h

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    He did a great job on this video. First music video in space!

There was another astronaut who was playing flute on the space station. My daughter who is a flutist liked those.

Jim

Re: Chris Hadfield the singing astronaut-MUST SEE if you haven't-watch again if you h

Sorry Randy but the Russians did the first music video in space.

My condolences to Commander Hadfield and David Bowie.

Phil

nice vid - but the mustache has got to go...

Very interesting and will do much to interest another generation in the space station. I do wish the editor had not selected the final shot to end the otherwise well-thought-out video. The splash down of a capsule is old tech and not a function of the modern NASA programs.

It was mentioned on the Seattle King 5 Evening Magazine that the guitar that was used for this video was made just up the road in Vancouver BC.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ...The splash down of a capsule is old tech and not a function of the modern NASA programs.
    Actually, Tom, that's not a splash down. Capsules still come down on parachutes, but they land on terra firma, exactly as you see in that video.

Here's footage of Chris Hadfield and his crew landing May 14th, the day after I first discovered Hadfield's finale video performance. About half way into the video below, you'll see the capsule landing exactly as you see used in the previous music video.

Chris Hadfield and crew brought safely back to Earth

Randy

Of course the first filmed performance from space was going to be in 1986. Ron MacNair was going to play the solo sax part of Jean Michel Jarre's 'Rendezvous,' in a live link-up with Jarre's concert in Houston. It never happened because of the Challenger disaster.
    David

I saw this video and my first reaction was "cool!"

But on reflection I am disappointed that he chose to emasculate the song by taking out all the darkness from the original and what we are left with is a rather glib narcissistic swansong piece about "look at me I am in space and now my work is done". If he was going to change the lyrics, I wished he had chosen something like "planet Earth is blue but there's so much more to do" rather than the "there's nothing left to do" that we are left with. This one change would have propelled it from swansong to global peace anthem.

It was great to see, but I reckon Bowie will have mixed feelings seeing this. And Opportunity lost.

Go Back to forum