• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need someone to criticize my tune (King, etc.?)

Share/Bookmark

Need someone to criticize my tune (King, etc.?)

I meant critique [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, if anyone is willing to listen to this please don\'t be \"nice\". Tell me \"the truth\", if it\'s the worst thing you\'ve ever heard just tell me that. I can take it....

Just looking for honesty from others that I\'ve heard and know are good!

I\'m also posting this \'now\' because I don\'t have giga yet, so I\'d like to hear what people think in a few moths as well. See if I\'ve grown or not (after i get my giga)?

Anyway...... It\'s very short, like 1 minute [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Click--->The Cold

Thanks!

Re: Need someone to criticize my tune (King, etc.?)

That little riff could probably fit in all the movies I saw this past weekend. In other words it sounded fine to me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Since you\'re not using GigaStudio, I think it\'s obvious we would like to know where the sounds are coming from. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So you\'re saying you saw a couple of bad movies last weekend. Ha ha.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It\'s just my EMU E4xt....

I\'m getting my giga soon, so I wanna put this out as a comparison. Kind of pre giga and post giga. I have a lot of ides that aren\'t really possible on my current set up...

I\'ve read that some cringe at hearing their old mixes, that is what I\'m expecting too...!!!

Thanks for listening!

Also any tips on mixing would be appreciated (anything sound weird?), i\'m very green in the orchestral world!

I don\'t even know why I am stating my opinion, anyways:

The piano in the beginning sounds like it was played under water. Maybe lighten up on the bass a little. The violin is nice though. Not sure what you\'re trying to express here perhaps sorrow, or the feeling of winter\'s desolation?

An oboe or bassoon might fit in, perhaps have the bassoon play 1/2 notes in unison with a cello and then moving the bassoon into a harmony line with it while the cello is still sustained and have the oboe play a sad melody.

Yo Kid,

Neat piece.

yah there\'s some definite weirdness in the mix for me.

I hate being \"that guy\" here that picks on mixing issues,....but thats who I am I guess [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I hear some kinda crazy phasing/chorus happening on the piano. especially int he beginning, it might be the samples themselves.

Everything seems a bit \"mono\", with some stereo width coming from the reverb.

Since its solo strings I dont think there is a real \"standard\" placement, unless you\'re going for a string quartet sound, which I\'m honestly not too familiar with. I\'m guessing its the same \"standard\" as sections?, or is it something like vln1, viola, vln2, cel, CB? Someone else will ahve to get you on that one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Its not really that oyu have to follow a standard tho [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Making your own up is fine, what sounds good, is what soudns good.

wait is that all cello?

With orchestral music, or small ensemble pieces like this, I personally tend roll off the proximity in my samples and put then \"in\" a room with reverb, rather then make them sound like a recording with reverb tails. Doing this by lessening the dry signal, and letting more the the reverb act like the \"recording\" itself. Or using Pre Fader Sends if I\'m using one master verb.

Rolling off the highs helps to simulate the effect of less proximity, as well as low mids if the recording is pretty close and percussive.

Its a complete different way of doing things form the rock n roll days [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (I actually basic mixed a Rock song today for someone, it felt extremely strange, pumping mids for cutting through.....WTF?!?!? ...and the compression on the snare I used...my god... hehee)

Also watch out with normalizing and limiting pieces like this. I find that its not really a good idea. Especially with samples that are only 1 or two dynamics. Think about it, you\'re playing a forte sample with low velocity to simulate a mezzo-forte sample, then you raise the whole piece up a few DB again....it sounds like a forte sample again.....

unless you add filters (in which case raising the volume tends to only increase the falseness of filters [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Anyhow, Reverb and EQ are your friend, but they\'ll tease you alot too.

\"kid-surf: Just looking for honesty from others that I\'ve heard and know are good!\"

Am I good enough?

Anyway, if you are trying to establish a \"cold\" mood you succeed. I was thinking about myself walking in snow blizzard ( [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ), specially in the beginning. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This piece would be well suited for film.

Hey King, a *quartet* is vln1, vln2, vla, cello - that\'s all [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hansi

I listened and have some suggestions.

It sounds like someone in a boat on gentle waves, in the summer, perhaps at nightfall.. It does not sound like cold to me at all. The harmonies are too \"assuring\" - too sweet.

To orchestrate and compose cold I would utilize every kind of device you have in the orchestra to create the feeling of biting cold. Sul ponticelli non vibrato violins to simulate the biting cold in the air, and con sordino violas + celli as snow covering the landscape. Minor 2nds need not be an exclusive to horror movies [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Spaced out between instruments in the orchestra, in larger intervals it can create a mystical and uneasy atmosphere. Frost can be simulated with wind chimes, mark tree etc. very softly played with sweeping textures of juxtapositioned woodwinds simulating the cold breeze. with trills in muted violas. I\'d refrain from using standard triad harmonies and rather build on something more interesting like a texture in the orchestra compromising, say a Fmin+Ddim(7)/E (beautiful COLD harmony) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And just move around that texture really. Anyway that\'s just a suggestion [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Good luck creating a cold mood.

Thomas

I don\'t even know why I am stating my opinion, anyways:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why do you say that (?), it\'s always good to hear from others what they think..... So thanks for giving me some feedback (everyone!!)

That\'s interesting you say it sounds \'under water\', actually that is what i was going for. What I\'m trying to express is \"A well to do man in the midst of a mid life crisis sitting in a cold empty house contemplating suicide during the holidays\"

I may not have achieved it though? falcon1 thinks it sounds cold, but Thomas thinks it sounds tranquil (I think)... Who\'s right? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

King---

No please... pick away!

I\'m wondering if the weirdness is the evil----> \"compression\"? I find that my piano stuff sounds too \"sample-y\", so I tried to glue it together with compression. Perhaps not the best idea. Also it\'s two different pianos.... (huh?) I know, it\'s just that for certain notes one sounds better (I probably shouldn\'t do that, I know).

Mono..... yeah I hear ya\'. I fell into the \"trying to glue it together by panning in trap\". Originally I had it panned pretty wide, I thought perhaps too wide? I don\'t know the placement on this stuff so I was just guessing? I\'ll try a wider mix......

With orchestral music, or small ensemble pieces like this, I personally tend roll off the proximity in my samples and put then \"in\" a room with reverb, rather then make them sound like a recording with reverb tails. Doing this by lessening the dry signal, and letting more the the reverb act like the \"recording\" itself. Or using Pre Fader Sends if I\'m using one master verb.

Rolling off the highs helps to simulate the effect of less proximity, as well as low mids if the recording is pretty close and percussive.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Believe it or not, but that\'s what I did [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I guess I\'m doing it wrong? So the room, or lack of it, sounds totally wrong?

Yeah it\'s gonna take me a minute to cross over from the rock/electronic world [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I\'m the guy \"real\" composers HATE! Btw, have you heard any of my electronic stuff King, or just that (crapy ) heavy thing way back?

THANKS GUYS, GREAT TIPS!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Kid,

Nice work. There are some terrific ideas for you already posted. I get a somewhat \'despair\' vibe from it - which is what I think you were going after. My only suggestion would be that if this is \"one\" guy sitting in an empty house thinking about assumming room temperature you may want consider breaking down the arrangement to \"one\" instrument earlier, give that some development (show the guy\'s most inner thoughts) and then bring in others to fade out on. I like the way it is, but hope this is something you hadn\'t thought of.

Rob

Go Back to forum