• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to perform Klezmer/Yiddish style with trumpets and clarinets?

Share/Bookmark

How to perform Klezmer/Yiddish style with trumpets and clarinets?

Hello,

It's me again.

I'm currently reproducing a nightmarish piece for concert band written in 1973 and I wish to know how I can perform Klezmer style (Yiddish) with trumpets and clarinets. Are there any tricks with blowing air etc? I'm not very familiar with this style. Some help and advice would be welcome.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: How to perform Klezmer/Yiddish style with trumpets and clarinets?

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Hello,

It's me again.

I'm currently reproducing a nightmarish piece for concert band written in 1973 and I wish to know how I can perform Klezmer style (Yiddish) with trumpets and clarinets. Are there any tricks with blowing air etc? I'm not very familiar with this style. Some help and advice would be welcome.

Best,

Fred.
    Hello again, Fred - That sounds like a fun project! When I had a project that needed to be in the Klezmer style, I started by Googling up some examples. Nothing beats hearing the sort of thing you're emulating, and then using your ears to try and match the sound you're hearing.

One thing for sure, you need to use vibrato on the clarinets-something we don't usually do. The clarinets in GPO are ready to play with vibrato when you record/draw swoops of AfterTouch on sustained notes that would have vibrato. And you'll want to do the same thing with the trumpets - all Garritan trumpets will play with vibrato controlled by AT.

Randy

Re: How to perform Klezmer/Yiddish style with trumpets and clarinets?

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have written a private mail with the current progress of my new piece. You will understand the complexity of the piece I'm on.

Best,

Fred.

There is no spoon.

Go Back to forum