• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Gigastudio Manual (Yet Again)

Share/Bookmark

OT: Gigastudio Manual (Yet Again)

As I sit here reading Sams\' Teach Yourself Adobe Premiere 6.5 in 24 Hours (I got an OEM Premiere 6.0 included with a Pinnacle DV500+ Video Capture system with a very slim non-informative manual), I wonder why no third party company has written a comprehensive Gigastudio book.

What would it cost Tascam to let someone else do this? A single copy of Gigastudio? I emailed Scott Garrigus a while back (he\'s written some great books on Cakewalk Sonar and Sonic Foundry\'s Sound Forge, two other programs I can\'t live without) and while polite, answered that he really hasn\'t taken a look at the software. Maybe if Tascam approached him we could see a \"Gigastudio Power!\" book.

I know of Dave Govett\'s Gigastudio Mastery Tutorial CD\'s, but I\'m one of those old-fashioned book readers. (I like curling up in bed and reading a few chapters every once in a while.)

I\'m sure the developers could \"loan\" out libraries for the author to work with while writing the book, maybe even donate small freebie libraries for inclusion on a CD that would come with the book (G-Town and SAMS Trumpet and NS drumkit come to mind.)

All-in-all, I think this is a very feasible idea, and I\'m sure everyone here would drop $30-$40 on a nicely written 300 or so page book dedicated to our favorite program. I bet we\'d even volunteer plenty of information to the author.

Just a thought.

If someone could copy and paste this to the Tascam forum, I\'d appreciate it. I posted it on there a while back, and no one responded, but maybe times have changed and there are more users who feel the way I do.

Re: OT: Gigastudio Manual (Yet Again)

I\'m with you, SOD. Tis a mystery that this manual remains unwritten.

I\'m also looking for a good manual, preferably made by Tascam self, covering the whole GigaStudio. In the beginning I found it strange there were only help functions for brief explanations. The only manual is the installation manual. I think Tascam should really provide a full documentation about their product, for example in .pdf files. It\'s not very good to sell software without proper explanation on how to use it.

Tascam has said that they would provide a manual for version 3, but felt that, at this point, it wasn’t a good use of resourses to create a manual for 2.x.

It’s typical for all music related companies for their staff to “diapear” in the weeks before NAMM.

Originally posted by Bill:
    Tascam has said that they would provide a manual for version 3, but felt that, at this point, it wasn’t a good use of resourses to create a manual for 2.x.

It’s typical for all music related companies for their staff to “diapear” in the weeks before NAMM.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve given up on Tascam, I just want them to authorize a third party to make a book for it, not a manual. If I had the time, I\'d think about doing it myself.

*ponders...*

Someone mentioned about GS version 3. When will this version come out, and do you have to pay for this upgrade?

Guys! Forget the manual. Get your hands on the Gigastudio Mastery Tutorial CDROM set by Dave Govett and Kevin Phelan.

I just got it and seriously boosted my Gigastudio productivity by about 200%. I was floored at how well organized, produced and easy to understand it is. It really helped to glue together several concepts that I thought i had a good handle on but wasn\'t all the way there yet. I\'ve got my assistant studying it and he\'s already doing stuff that I still hadn\'t figured out after 2 years of using giga.

Very effective, big kudos to Dave!

Hope this helps...
    Crispin

Someone mentioned about GS version 3. When will this version come out, and do you have to pay for this upgrade?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No one really knows. Hopefully we\'ll learn more after NAMM?.?.?

It is coming though as I believe some of the new libraries are being developed for Giga 3.0.

Cheers,
    Ben Ripley

Originally posted by Crispin:
    Guys! Forget the manual. Get your hands on the Gigastudio Mastery Tutorial CDROM set by Dave Govett and Kevin Phelan.

I just got it and seriously boosted my Gigastudio productivity by about 200%. I was floored at how well organized, produced and easy to understand it is. It really helped to glue together several concepts that I thought i had a good handle on but wasn\'t all the way there yet. I\'ve got my assistant studying it and he\'s already doing stuff that I still hadn\'t figured out after 2 years of using giga.

Very effective, big kudos to Dave!

Hope this helps...
    Crispin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Can\'t relax in the tub with the tutorial too easily. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That and book format is still what most people would prefer when they want to go directly to a page, bookmark/highlight key passages, etc.

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    When it comes down to it, though, I\'ll bet the percentage of people who actually build their own banks in GS is pretty small, a fairly limited market. Personally, I\'ve got other tools I turn to when I need to do my own, custom sampling.

Lee Blaske [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Currently I make my banks in SF2 format using Vienna. Then convert them with CDXtract to Giga. (Since Translator converts SF2 to AKAI, I have to make them in SF2 format anyway, and I\'ve sold a few SF2 sets.)

BUT, I\'d love to be able to sit down/lay down with the book and glean information. I\'m a book person, I love reading.. My day job is as a PC technician, so I already stare at the monitors for too long as it is, so a book would save my failing eyes some.

Go Back to forum