• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OK.. my AO rant. (listen to AO vs. Roland SR-JV-80)

Share/Bookmark

OK.. my AO rant. (listen to AO vs. Roland SR-JV-80)

I can\'t hold back any longer. You\'d laugh if I told you the number of times I started to post a rant about AO, but decided not to post.

As much as AO might be useful for little tricks (like runs, for instance), the sample quality and programming are horrid. Seriously. I will give just a few examples:

1) The oboe. Have you noticed that at some pitches, it doesn\'t even sound like an oboe?

2) The flute. Tonight I just found what I would call a bug. Load up the \"flute solo basic KEY XFD\" sample. Roll the mod wheel all the way up, and press+hold any key. It plays vibrato with forte strength... then suddenly, WHOOPS, it falls to piano. What in the world??!

3) The brass sounds very synthy to me, I don\'t understand why, since these are samples of real instruments.

Now, when I was taking suggestions from you all about buying samples, I said I wanted AO because of the cool articulations it has for winds. I\'m not disappointed at all in that department, but if I had known that the sample quality itself would be this bad, I would\'ve said forget it and gone with DDSW!

Ah well.. all I can do now is save up and buy samples to fill in the empty spaces. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: OK.. my AO rant. (listen to AO vs. Roland SR-JV-80)

Here\'s some comparison if you want.. AO vs. Roland SR-JV-80 library.

http://www.samhulick.com/AOvsRoland.mp3

The first clip is using AO with GOS Lite. The second clip is entirely sounds from my old Roland XP-80. The Roland flute blows AO away totally... does anyone disagree with that?

I think the flute thing is because there might not be a loop point on the flute. Atleast thats what it sounds like is happening. I haven\'t checked, since I dont play solo flutes at forte for too long without retriggering [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

the oboe, yes its weird in some tones, its quacky, like the english horn, but to be honest I like that tone.

Dan knows I hate the tone of the DDSW oboe. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you\'re into \"dark\" sounding oboes, you\'ll like the DDSW one. I\'m waiting for him to record another one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The AO woodwinds \"work\" when using them in orchestrations, the Xfades are extremely poly friendly and really work with some adjustments on the attenuation settings.

The brass, is weak, but not unuasable. The staccs work well, and the Pianissimo horns are pretty good.

The libs is better for anything than jsut tricks

Also remember, you gave us a \"budget\" when you asked about libraries [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Give me a bigger one and I\'ll throw AO out the window, its a library one can \"Get by\" on. Not one people should use to get every orchestral \"sound\" (meant overall tone) and not one, that one needs to focus on \"tone\". Its a library that \"does the job\", not one that \"does the job well\". Add to it that you can make it do a MUCH better job with EQ, reverb, and jsut overall tweaks.

I thoroughly defend this library, because for what it is, and how much it is. Its quite good. (tho miroslav is now a bit cheaper).

Now ask me how it compares to a bunch of the other libraries out, and ones coming out....and I\'ll rip it apart.

True, I was on a budget.. still am. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] In fact, I\'ll only be able to acquire the high-quality sample libraries I need by either pawning my belongings on eBay, winning contests, or exchanging services with sample developers (web work, installer packaging, etc.).

To be honest, I liked the Roland\'s oboe a ton. Too bad I had to sell the keyboard (it\'s what helped get me started w/ buying GS & samples). Ah well.. I\'ll be able to get DDSW or DDSW Lite soon hopefully.

I too liked the Roland oboe\'s tone better. But not the lack of capability and very fake lfo vibrato [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, put the library to work, dont nitpick at the engineering stuff.

I did that for about two years, until now, where I\'m learning its the writing and orchestrations that make a big difference.

BTW, the great part of me focusing on the engineering stuff is I get to share back with you guys when I can. I cant wait for the GOS users to hear the new updates. Some of you will flip!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I want to take a look back at AO at some poitn and see what can be done to make it sound better.

I used AO brass (and just a TOUCH of roland) for two seasons (44 episodes) of the show SLIDERS. I also used the loud brass in a movie (OK it was a low budget movie) and it sounded great and still does. It might depend on how you use them: they can\'t do everything, but they still do many things well, especially for the price.

Of course, Dan Dean Brass etc and the newer libraries are in totally another league. So, having said the above, I am about to totally NIX the AO brass from my template, except for the staccatos and crescendos and other dynamic fx.

You\'ve just found a few faults with it, Sam. Of course its not perfect and I\'m sure we told you that but then what library is? DDSW may be great but it doesn\'t have anywhere near the articulations AO does. Try and match an AO clarinet performance with the DDSW one. The AO clarinet staccatos especially are wonderful.

I wouldn\'t say the brass is synthy, maybe a little but nowhere near as much as QLB.

Originally posted by MDesigner:

Ah well.. all I can do now is save up and buy samples to fill in the empty spaces. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You can try and fill in the those empty spaces but I don\'t think you\'ll do it with anything short of VSL or QLSO...

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    I did that for about two years, until now, where I\'m learning its the writing and orchestrations that make a big difference.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree totally. I don\'t want to \"put words in Bruce\'s mouth\" whilst he is not here, but he wrote a really good article on this very issue.

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/33F4C27D2C76AB118625687B0022E9B9

Regards, Scott.

I don\'t really see why you\'re ranting on a library that is now almost, what, 8, 10 years old? That\'s quite a long time! What do you expect... it\'s pretty unlikely for a library that old to hold up against what you expect from samples nowadays! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Someone purchasing AO or Vitous in 2002/2003 should know they\'re buying a product that was developed years ago (no matter how good or useful it still can be!), with different media, standards, market and industry.

For what it\'s worth... AO was the first sample library I ever bought, and I still use it rather extensively, esp. the woodwinds and the Giga-version strings soft sustain. They just work, in a mix. Simple as that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Of course, upfront or solo it might sound a bit flat, or harsh, and you might wish for more articulations and stuff, but this library wasn\'t recorded for a big Giga platform in the first place.

Maarten

I have to agree with Maarten. I have purchased some of Vitous strings and I can\'t seem to get a part to sound like there are up and down bowing. At first I thought is was my abiltiy to work with samples, which is probably the case. But after reading Maarten\'s post I realize it may not be all my fault.

Go Back to forum