• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Comments on Halion Please

Comments on Halion Please

i\'m considering switching to Halion .... i think it would speed up my work flow. I\'d like to be able to easily render within the sequencer and of course add effects.

anyone using halion? how is the giga conversion? does it support all the dimensions? is the disk streaming just as efficient? does it support keyswitching and all the other lovely features of gigastudio?

if only gigastudio were a VSTi -- my life would be so much easier!

btw: yesterday i read in a trade magazine that Tascam just appointed a new president of US operations ... and he said that gigastudio is one of their main focuses of 2003. i\'ll believe it when i see it.

thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Re: Comments on Halion Please

I use halion alot cause exactly like you said, its so nice to have everything integrated in the sequenser. Halion can HD stream but it does it bad so you need alot of ram. It doesnt support key switching.. Hopefully Native Instruments will present a HD streaming kontakt at NAMM

bad streaming ? and no keyswitching :-(

what a shame .. yes ... let us hope for a kontact streaming engine ... Tob, do you use Kontact also ? and does it support giga features ?

can anyone also comment on ESXmkII ?

thanks for your time

ive been looking at kontakt but since it still doesnt support HD streaming i dont have any use for it... but it seems to be a really nice sampler so when its supports HDstreaming it will be a killer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

No keyswitching? Uhm, that\'s just not true, keyswitching works perfectly here on my system (Halion v1.13).

The only thing Halion is really missing are the crossfades.

Streaming also works fine, though perhaps a bit less efficient than Gigastudio.

Sovereign is right -- Halion has supported keyswitching via its MegaTrigg facility since the Giga import feature was introduced in 1.1. And while it supports crossfading between velocity layers and pitches, these can\'t be modulated in realtime like you can in GigaStudio. The disk streaming works, but not as efficiently as in Giga, although this won\'t matter on a fast machine. Plus, at least you get a fair bit of control over the memory and disk usage.

EXS24 MkII is brilliant, and while the Giga import feature doesn\'t import everything correctly, the sampler itself at least supports realtime crossfading between layers (along with keyswitching, release, etc. like Halion and Giga). The disk streaming (or Virtual Memory as Emagic call it) also seems pretty efficient. Check out the Logic Notes column in the February issue of SOS for more information.

However, it\'s worth bearing in mind that HALion 2 will support realtime crossfading amongst other things. And the new Kontakt will likely make choosing a VST sampler even harder!

Does halion really support key switching??? gotta check that about velocity crossfading I believe its limited to 2 layers. And the diskstreaming is not working good here.. i get lot of pops and cracks when its gonna stream more than just a few voices... and thats on a 2ghz p4 with rme9652.

oki... mega trigg isnt really the same thing as key switching in GS? right? in GS its possible to switch between articulations with keys on the keyboard. Dont know how to do that in halion.. and it looks like its limited to 3 triggers.

Doesn\'t anyone use a manual anymore?

mega trigg isnt really the same thing as key switching in GS? right? in GS its possible to switch between articulations with keys on the keyboard. Dont know how to do that in halion.. and it looks like its limited to 3 triggers.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Er, not quite. Mega Trigg does allow you to switch between different layers/dimesions/articulations (Folders in Halion-speak). Since the manual isn\'t that helpful, try:

Here\'s the section about Mega Trigg that you might find helpful -- apologies for the long post and use of Halion terminology explained elsewhere in the article.

Mega Trigg is an advanced modulation feature that allows you to set specific conditions for when particular samples are triggered. In the case of a sampled piano, for example, a HALion Program could contain a folder of \'sustain pedal up\' samples and a folder of \'sustain pedal down\' samples. Using Mega Trigg, the first folder can be told to play when the sustain pedal is up and the second folder when the sustain pedal is down, preventing notes from the two folders of samples being triggered at the same time.

You can set Mega Trigg parameters for the current selection by pressing the Mega Trigg button at the bottom-left of the Modulation group in the Mod/Tune Page View. The Mega Trigg options are easy to understand: you can configure three controllers with specific ranges, and the actual play condition is set by a series of pop-up menus making up the Play If statement.

In the case of the piano example, for the \'sustain pedal up\' samples set All/Select to Select and choose the folder with the pedal up samples in the Program List. In the Mega Trigg options, set the Play If statement to Play If Note On And Pedal On and click OK. For the \'sustain pedal down\' samples, with the All/Select button still set to Select, choose the folder with the pedal down samples, and in the Mega Trigg options set the Play If statement to Play If Note On And Pedal Off and click OK.

Thanks to Mega Trigg, HALion has no problem importing Keyswitch settings from a Giga instrument, or creating keyswitching from scratch in a HALion Program. This means that you can effectively load many Programs into a single Program space and switch between them by pressing assigned keys on your MIDI keyboard (keys that don\'t normally trigger notes, of course). In a string patch you could switch between legato and pizzicato articulations, or in an electric guitar patch you could switch between sustained and muted playing styles.

To set up keyswitching, set All/Select to Select and choose the folder you want to apply a keyswitch to in the Program List. Click the Mega Trigg button in the Mod/Tune Page View, set Controller 1 to Switch Key and Controller 1\'s Hi and Lo parameters to the MIDI note number of the key you want as the keyswitch trigger (middle \'C\' is 64). Now set the Play If statement to Play If Note On And Controller 1 and click OK when you\'ve finished. Repeat this procedure for any other folders, and remember to allocate a different MIDI note to each folder.

As an aside, if you have full-range instruments in folders, the Keyzone Page View can become very difficult to navigate. To make things easier, you can hide and show samples contained within folders on the Keyzone Page View by right-clicking (or Control-clicking on the Mac) a folder and choosing either Hide or Show. A hidden folder will be displayed in italics in the Program List.

The downside to Programs with many keyswitch layers is that the preload memory overhead increases. This is especially annoying in ready-made libraries if you only want to play one instrument from the whole file. There\'s also an extra issue to bear in mind: when you reload a project with an instrument that uses keyswitching, there\'ll be no sound until you trigger a keyswitch. This is particularly frustrating, because you have to go through manually and play the relevant keyswitch for each Program every time you load a song, and it\'s especially annoying if you forget which keyswitch you were using. For this reason, incorporating the required keyswitch note in a track\'s name is a good idea, and you could also record this MIDI note into the first bar of the appropriate sequencer track.

In the spirit of killing two birds with one stone (you can tell I\'m not a member of the RSPB), if you\'re never going to make use of all the instruments available by keyswitching, you could simply delete the ones you don\'t want and resave the instrument file under a new name. However, it\'s also possible to save out the folder containing the instrument you want to use as a Program in its own right by right-clicking (or Control-clicking on the Mac) the folder and selecting Save Folder from the pop-up menu. Save the new instrument file in the same directory as the instrument file containing all the keyswitches. Alternatively, you could save the new instrument file with all the required samples by selecting Save Folder With Samples instead.

After you\'ve reloaded the saved folder as a Program in its own right (or deleted the other folders and resaved the original Program), you\'ll need to check that keyswitching is disabled for that single folder. This is easily done in the Mega Trigg window by making sure the Play If statement reads Play If Note On and all the other options are off. Since keyswitching is no longer involved, the Program now plays back automatically when you reload the project and no additional memory is used for folders of samples you won\'t use.

Go Back to forum