• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Topic: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    All,

    This is my "Woodwind Quintet Number Five".

    Because of its length I had to break the composition up into two parts because my music website doesn't allow files over ten MB each.

    Part One

    Part Two

    The instrumentation is standard for a woodwind quintet - flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon and "French" horn. All of the instruments are from the original GPO sample library.

    Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  2. #2

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Class in session again!--Let by our own Texan Maestro, the one and only Mr. Larry Alexander. And today's piece for study is full of the energy, humor and compositional expertise we've long since grown to expect when we listen to more from our instructor's massive portfolio. Thank you, my dear Mr. A.

    I hope you will indulge me in making two technical observations:

    --There's crackling distortion continuously throughout the MP3, mostly on the first beat of measures. The first two in-the-red peaks are at approximately 4 seconds, and 7 seconds in - and that continues throughout the file. For your archives, I think you would be happier to produce another rendering, just a tad lower in volume to avoid the crackling peaks.

    --Even though I'm Mr. Conservative when it comes to using reverb (and it's about the only way I'm conservative!)--I feel to place your Quintet in a slightly airier virtual venue would serve the music better. I downloaded the MP3 and ran a quick test, using the default settings of a small room reverb in Sound Forge, and I felt the results gave the music a good dose of greater naturalism. I considered sharing the results here, but I couldn't remove the distortion by lowering the volume, because the damage is already there in the file, very difficult to remove after the fact.

    All passed on in the desire to be helpful.

    Thanks for the very fun music, Larry.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Thanks for the info, Mister Rand'.

    I can't redo the music file because my computer is still on the fritz...uhh not working. I don't know when or if I will be financially able to have it repaired.

    This forum will not allow me to delete a message after it receives a reply. If you are able to do so you may remove it if you wish.

    Thank you for your message.

    Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  4. #4

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Thanks for the info, Mister Rand'.

    I can't redo the music file because my computer is still on the fritz...uhh not working. I don't know when or if I will be financially able to have it repaired.

    This forum will not allow me to delete a message after it receives a reply. If you are able to do so you may remove it if you wish to do so.

    Thank you for your message.

    Best,
    Oh no, no no--It would be way too drastic to remove the thread, Larry! The technical things I talked about won't prevent people from still enjoying the music - in fact, I would wager that those issues won't bother some people in the least.

    But I didn't realize your computer is still out of commission. I'm so sorry to hear that. I thought since you were able to post messages, that you were back up and running.

    Hang in there Mr. A - We're all glad to see you still here despite the fritzed out computer.

    Randy

  5. #5

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    I am able to post on the forum by using a dear friend's computer.

    Thanks and best regards.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  6. #6

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Larry,

    Disregarding the computer woes and pops/ cracks this is another splendid example of wit and charm that you seem to excel at. This is also, if I'm not mistaken, one of your longer pieces. But you maintained the structural integrity of the piece throughout. Keeping a convincing form/structure going in a longer piece is not an easy thing to do. I have to admit you had no problems doing so. Great job.

    I do hope you can get your computer back on line soon. I can tell that composing music for you keeps you alert and vibrant and probably in a good state of mind. We don't want to lose that. I COMMAND YOUR COMPUTER TO WORK.....wave the wand......did that do any good?

    My best,

    Cass

  7. #7
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Larry,

    I enjoyed your Woodwind Quintet Number Five. It had a lot of good and fun musical ideas in it. I'm trying to think back to when I played in a WWQ, probably sometime before the last ice age. I remember the oboe player was very good so she carried much of the melody in the music our teacher selected.

    You've inspired me to attempt to compose something for a WWQ down the line.

    Is it hot enough for you down there in the lone star state? Hopefully we had our last wind storm of the season last weekend.



    Phil

  8. #8

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Larry,

    Disregarding the computer woes and pops/ cracks this is another splendid example of wit and charm that you seem to excel at. This is also, if I'm not mistaken, one of your longer pieces. But you maintained the structural integrity of the piece throughout. Keeping a convincing form/structure going in a longer piece is not an easy thing to do. I have to admit you had no problems doing so. Great job.

    I do hope you can get your computer back on line soon. I can tell that composing music for you keeps you alert and vibrant and probably in a good state of mind. We don't want to lose that. I COMMAND YOUR COMPUTER TO WORK.....wave the wand......did that do any good?

    My best,

    Cass

    Thanks for the compliments, Mister Cass. I hope to have my 'puter back some day.

    I hope that you are still on the road to recovery of your good health.

    I appreciate your cyber friendship!

    Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  9. #9

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Larry,

    I enjoyed your Woodwind Quintet Number Five. It had a lot of good and fun musical ideas in it. I'm trying to think back to when I played in a WWQ, probably sometime before the last ice age. I remember the oboe player was very good so she carried much of the melody in the music our teacher selected.

    You've inspired me to attempt to compose something for a WWQ down the line.

    Is it hot enough for you down there in the lone star state? Hopefully we had our last wind storm of the season last weekend.

    Phil
    I'm pleased that you like it, Mister Phil. Thanks for listening.

    It is rather warmish here in the Southland, which is a welcome condition after the nippy Winter we had.

    Take care.

    Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  10. #10

    Re: "Woodwind Quintet Number Five"

    Larry,

    I listened only to part one so far but I really, really like it. This may be my favorite to date though I have a hunch I will be saying that again at some point. As an ensemble i have more difficulty with Winds than with any other. This is just well crafted and a pleasure to listen to.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •