• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Installing GPO4 On Drives Other Than Drive C

Share/Bookmark

Installing GPO4 On Drives Other Than Drive C

Is it possible for GPO4 to be installed on a drive other than C.

For various reasons a member I am helping needs to install on Drive G. I was able to change the default install path for the ARIA Player and that installed on drive G.

When the ARIA Player Engine install window appeared it was set to install to drive C and there was no way I could change that.

I assumed that if I continued with the install with ARIA Player on Drive G and the ARIA Engine on Drive C then this isn't going to work so I cancelled the install.

So, can it be done? Can GPO4 be fully installed on any drive or does it have to be Drive C?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Installing GPO4 On Drives Other Than Drive C

Michael, I'm not positive, but I don't think ARIA can be installed anywhere but the C drive. It seems to me I saw that information in the past. I've never messed with trying to install anything other than the default paths since I see so many people struggling with it - I mean in general, not specifically with Garritan.

The Authorized Steinway is the one exception for me. That's unique in the Garritan line up, having a sample manager that you always use to set the piano up for use. The sample folders for the Steinway can be placed anywhere you want, and you tell the sample manager where to look. But the other Libraries don't have a facility like that.

If I find info contrary to what I said in the first paragraph, I'll be sure to let you know.

Randy

That's odd, not being able to install it anywhere but the C drive. I have installed other libraries on an external drive, and they load faster that way. It's been my understanding that this is the preferred way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Michael, I'm not positive, but I don't think ARIA can be installed anywhere but the C drive. It seems to me I saw that information in the past. I've never messed with trying to install anything other than the default paths since I see so many people struggling with it - I mean in general, not specifically with Garritan.

The Authorized Steinway is the one exception for me. That's unique in the Garritan line up, having a sample manager that you always use to set the piano up for use. The sample folders for the Steinway can be placed anywhere you want, and you tell the sample manager where to look. But the other Libraries don't have a facility like that.

If I find info contrary to what I said in the first paragraph, I'll be sure to let you know.

Randy
    Thanks Randy.

I also remember reading that Garritan is to be installed on Drive C. I have also seen several problems reported by members struggling with this.

Like you I have never messed with anything other than the default paths including with other libraries.

Even if there is some 'workaround' to get GPO4 installed on a different drive, I'd be uncomfortable with it. It would probably lead to other problems at some time.
    Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm about to try this little exercise myself and will let you know how it goes.
    The ARIA programs (stand alone and VST modules) would remain on C, and the samples alone moved to the D drive.
    The samples are the bulk of the data. The XML and SFZ files are tiny and I'll leave those in situ on C.
    This is the normal structure for all libraries I've come across to date.

It's true that the structure of the Registry file for GPO4 is much more extensive than for all of the other libraries, there being fifty four entries in total to edit. They are simple edits, replacing the current location (e.g. C:\Program Files\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Samples with e.g. D:\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Samples).
    But the modification has to be done for every instrument in the library.

It should be quite straightforward though, once the first is correct, copying the new location and then systematically pasting it into each new location.
    I don't know what the programmer who created the current structure was thinking about when he/she made it so unnecessarily long winded.

As Arnie said, "I'll be back!"
    Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

I looked around for word from the developers on this, and the only thing I've found is from one of the main Garritan programmers:

"...you can't change the samples directory unless you make a tricky hack in your windows registers..."

I bet most of us here are like me, not wanting to mess around with that.

But John is on to a different approach that sounds workable:

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    ...The ARIA programs (stand alone and VST modules) would remain on C, and the samples alone moved to the D drive.The samples are the bulk of the data. The XML and SFZ files are tiny and I'll leave those in situ on C.This is the normal structure for all libraries I've come across to date...
    And that's in keeping with what Michael Diemer said:

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    That's odd, not being able to install it anywhere but the C drive. I have installed other libraries on an external drive, and they load faster that way. It's been my understanding that this is the preferred way to do it.
    Power users at the Sonar Forum where I used to hang out always gave that advice, and you can find that same advice all over the internet. It only makes sense that a computer is working harder if one drive is doing all the work of running software and also trying to keep up with the demand of triggering samples that are on that same drive.

Not being a computer techie, I don't understand how it helps for a computer to be reading SFZ files on the C drive, and then accessing the samples that the SFZ files refer to on a different drive - I don't grasp how that makes things easier. Yet, setting things up this way is the standard advice from experts like Scott Garrigus, author of all the Sonar Power books.

EDIT: Because of that quote from the developer I put at the top of this post, I'm wondering if he means that even if the XML files are edited as John plans, if a Windows Registry hack is still needed---- Maybe--!

Because it calls for a lot of editing and probably some experimenting, I completely sympathize with what you're saying, Michael UK:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ...I also remember reading that Garritan is to be installed on Drive C. I have also seen several problems reported by members struggling with this.

Like you I have never messed with anything other than the default paths including with other libraries.

Even if there is some 'workaround' to get GPO4 installed on a different drive, I'd be uncomfortable with it. It would probably lead to other problems at some time.
    The basic situation is that without a lot of edit tweaks done by the user, it isn't possible to simply re-direct an installation of a Garritan Library and have it work.

- And, I'll add - Things work speedily and glitch free on my computer the way things are. Samples load really fast, I have no problems playing and working on large projects - So, I can't imagine anything working any better than this, and that's why I'm not motivated to change the architecture of my Garritan set up.

Randy

The ARIA Engine has to be installed on the OS drive which is usually Drive C. The player can usually be placed on another drive with samples. I usually place the player on the C: drive though and put the samples on one of my sample drives.

If it's already been installed and you want to change the sample location, I recommend uninstalling and then re-install where you want to place the items. This is much faster than going into the registry and making changes.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Not being a computer techie, I don't understand how it helps for a computer to be reading SFZ files on the C drive, and then accessing the samples that the SFZ files refer to on a different drive - I don't grasp how that makes things easier. Yet, setting things up this way is the standard advice from experts like Scott Garrigus, author of all the Sonar Power books.

- And, I'll add - Things work speedily and glitch free on my computer the way things are. Samples load really fast, I have no problems playing and working on large projects - So, I can't imagine anything working any better than this, and that's why I'm not motivated to change the architecture of my Garritan set up.

Randy
    I also go along with this. At the present time I don't see advantages with a player on one drive and samples on a different one. It could be an historic thing when drives were slower, possibly less reliable and certainly a lot more expensive. So I don't know why Scott and others still give this advice.

Now, even a 2 TB drive is less than £70 ($107) and, like yourself, things work great for me too. My 'C' drive is a 1 TB Seagate drive (£53 - $80) and my Garritan libraries are speedy and problem free.

I'm content with this will keep this arrangement.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    The ARIA Engine has to be installed on the OS drive which is usually Drive C. The player can usually be placed on another drive with samples. I usually place the player on the C: drive though and put the samples on one of my sample drives.

If it's already been installed and you want to change the sample location, I recommend uninstalling and then re-install where you want to place the items. This is much faster than going into the registry and making changes.

Jim
    Thanks for this info Jim.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    I also go along with this. At the present time I don't see advantages with a player on one drive and samples on a different one. It could be an historic thing when drives were slower, possibly less reliable and certainly a lot more expensive. So I don't know why Scott and others still give this advice.

Now, even a 2 TB drive is less than £70 ($107) and, like yourself, things work great for me too. My 'C' drive is a 1 TB Seagate drive (£53 - $80) and my Garritan libraries are speedy and problem free.

I'm content with this will keep this arrangement.
    The advantages, as stated by many companies who create libraries and others more knowledgeable than me, are that Windows expects to find programs on the C drive within the Program Files directory. At the same time Windows may also need to load other procedures, dynamic libraries etc. to make the program function correctly. Once loaded Windows will continue to do its own "housekeeping" and access other parts of the operating system also located on the C drive.

The logic behind putting the sample set, which exceeds the program e.g. ARIA in physical size quite considerably, is nothing primarily to do with the storage capacity of the drive. It is normally recommended that the sample libraries are located on a faster, high capacity drive. The standard speed, until recently, of a C drive would be 5400 rpm. Faster drives can be at typically 7200 rpm, a 33% performance improvement, or even 10,000 rpm, nearly twice as fast. Samples will therefore load more quickly off a second faster disk. This is especially important when samples are streamed from the disk during playback.

Another issue is when the requirement for another part of a sample occurs at the same time as Windows requires a piece of code off the same drive. Then a conflict occurs. It's almost inevitable that the priority will not be given to the sample. Glitches may then occur in the audio stream. I'm not sure how much this applies to the Garritan libraries, though.

As you say, Michael, most of the time it all works fine all together on one drive when the drive capacity is sufficient.
    The trend today is towards solid state C drives. These do not yet have the capacity of conventional disks, so it may be almost a necessity to move sample libraries to another disk. I was amazed to see recently just how fast one of these solid state drives allows Windows to boot up.

N.B. An error from my earlier post.
    I stated that there were 54 entries in the Registry that tell ARIA where the sample libraries are located.
    This is not true. There are 27 (bad enough). The reason that I gave the figure 54 was that there seems to have been a duplication of entries, maybe when GPO4 v4.02 was released, with identical contents, the later ones with a prefix of "2" when the earlier ones had "1", e.g. "1110 FLT" now as "2110 FLT". I wonder whether the earlier entries can be removed from the registry?

Kind regards,
    John
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Go Back to forum