• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will Gigasampler work with a Celeron processor?

Share/Bookmark

Will Gigasampler work with a Celeron processor?

I have an HP 400 MHz Celeron processor with 128 megs SDRAM(PC 100), 6 gig hard drive. I\'m getting ready to buy the Delta 1010 soundcard and Cakewalk 9 and was wondering if Gigasampler and Cakewalk 9 will work with the Celeron processor.
    Thanks!

Re: Will Gigasampler work with a Celeron processor?

No matter what you have (Cubase, Cakewalk, Logic, Cool Edit, vegas, Giga, soundcard, etc) you must have at least PIII/Athlon 500Mhz+256MB-DRAM+7,200RPM-HD+16/32MB-Video about $600~$800. \"just about enough to start\". Don\'t waist your time here, my friend, soon or later you will realize that...Anyone?
    Hope this helps,
    LHong

Actually, that\'s not entirely true. I run a Celeron 300a OC\'ed to 450MHz with 384 MB of RAM, and a second, dedicated audio HD (IBM DeskStar 16.4GB, ATA66, 7200rpm), and am getting nothing but killer results with Gigastudio 160. I haven\'t pushed it to its limits, but I\'ve had approx. 60-70 Giga voices (AO samples)playing back along to about a dozen or so Cakewalk 9 audio tracks. Of course, this is all without any realtime effects in either program, but the system will run stably enough such that I can easily Alt-Tab between apps, open a Lyrics View in CW, etc. So with some audio optimizations, good fast RAM and HD, and keeping the background apps to the bare minimum, I wouldn\'t hesitate going with a Celeron. (More about that on prorec.com) Of course, faster is always better, and if money were no object, I\'d get the fastest P3 I could afford. But to say \"don\'t bother with a Celeron\" might not necessarily be the case.

Ed Lima

[This message has been edited by Ed Lima (edited 08-19-2000).]

I also use a C300a O/C to 450 with good results. I get a peak of 96 voices with reverb in use. I have only 192 M RAM. My next CPU is going to be C566 O/C to 850.

I\'m getting ready to do the exact same upgrade, Algae. We must read a lot of the same articles online I will say, though, that you should consider more RAM as well. When I first got the AO samples, I only had 128MB. With 384, I can load everything I need and still feel confident that Windows still has the resources it needs.

Ed, let me know how upgrade to C566/850 works and details if u don\'t mind. eg MB,memory type. etc. I will be making my move within a month and would be interested to know if u get the full 160 voices with FX. I know that\'s unlikely, but here\'s hoping.

I have had great success with the 566@850. It is highly recomended to get it pretested.

Good Luck,

Ken

Hi Ken.

Who\'d you get a pretested Cel566@850 from? I\'ve got a bookmark to Advanced Design of Kentucky, and that seems to be the retailer that most folks like.

e

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Lima:
    [B]Hi Ken.

Who\'d you get a pretested Cel566@850 from? I\'ve got a bookmark to Advanced Design of Kentucky, and that seems to be the retailer that most folks like.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See this article for the great info. on the Cel566@850 machine...prorec.com...
    he also mentions the website that sells pretested chips.
    http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/E674C87E2991AA3F862568E9006D7D10

Steve

[This message has been edited by nous (edited 08-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by nous (edited 08-23-2000).]

Hi Damon,

the Celeron 400 is fine for GS. I´ve got a Celeron 400 on an ASUS P2b, 256MB RAM and SB AWE64 Gold.

With Encore as Sequencer I am getting 90 save voices with one Reverb and Contour-Module switched on. I could reach 100 voices but around 110 the system becomes unstable, so I set the limit to 90, which is fine for most occasions.

You should have a fast HDD with 512kB Cache. I´ve got an older 7200rpm Maxtor-Model which is doing fine - no clicks, no pops.

I think one of the secrets of such successful operation ist to only chose standard-components and what is really recommended by Nemesys.

Take care.
    Horst.

Go Back to forum