• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Are you everybody well in Oklahoma?

Share/Bookmark

Are you everybody well in Oklahoma?

I hope so.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: Are you everybody well in Oklahoma?

Such an over-powering strike at the heartland of America. A mile-wide tornado on the ground for 45 minutes. As always, the strength of people that experience such forces will amaze us with their fortitude and courage.

The devastation and loss of life is horrifying. I have relatives and friends in Oklahoma, and none of them live in the effected areas. I thank Facebook for providing a swift way to communicate about the situation.

Randy

I just read that the fatality numbers may be less than originally reported. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Phil

Thoughts and Prayers go out to them.
    Hopefully they will set up a direct fund soon so we may donate.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Thoughts and Prayers go out to them.
    Hopefully they will set up a direct fund soon so we may donate.

M
    The American Red Cross is the most direct way to help. Here's the online donation page:

Red Cross

Randy

EDITED 5/23/13 due to inappropriateness.

RB

And news just in - Unlike he did when New Jersey was devastated by Storm Sandy, Speaker Boehner has promised to cooperate in getting federal funds to OK.

Randy - Being from Ohio, what else could he do?

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    --Well, and that's the point. It shouldn't make any difference where he's from. He's supposed care about the welfare of the entire country as Speaker of the House, equally.

If there's obstructionist shenanigans from any of these filibustering, Guns Over People, anti-most anything you can name creeps in Congress over FEMA money going to Oklahoma, I shall simply go ballistic.

Randy
    From what I can ascertain, the problem for Mr Boehner was that the senate majority leader had included what Mr Boehner considered pork spending in the bill for to entice republican senators from the less affected Sandy and Isaac Hurricane areas, which had all but one republican senator to vote for the senate bill without some of the usual political haggling. I'm not saying that this was the right thing to do but this what actually happened.

Maybe Mr Reed knew that this would have the added benefit of putting Mr Boehner and the house republicans in the postion of looking like heartless obstructionist to the general electorate just before the national elections. If true it was a shrewd win-win political move by Mr Reed as certain pressured house republicans eventually crossed over to pass the legislation. Political damage was done to the republicans and Mr Reed got his relief bill passed.

Phil

EDIT 5/23/13 due to inappropriateness.

At least the death toll is half of what was reported yesterday. I guess that shows how chaotic things can be in a horrible situation like that - Yesterday all the news agencies had the count totally wrong. Thank goodness.

Randy

Go Back to forum