• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just a couple of questions

Share/Bookmark

Just a couple of questions

For starters, forum needs some series cleanup as I haven't been able to log on for weeks and even now the page isn't fully loaded. So I had a couple of questions. I was trying to figure out what the controller number for panning was as I want to have a string part that traveled from left to right in my headphones. But then I found out that the pan controller is turned off by default because, as I read in a cakewalk forum, the instruments come pre-panned. I never knew this. Now I see that as soon as I pan the violins in Sonar the Aria knob quickly readjusts itself back to it's original position. This caused me to worry that maybe all along, in all my projects I was never actually adjusting the panning as it would automatically readjust itself. Fortunately I just opened up an old project and can see where the knob in Aria has remained consistent with the pan controller in the track view of Sonar. So here are my questions: What is the controller number to adjust the panning? For timbre/volume it's 1. What is it for panning? How come the knobs readjust themselves in my current project but not in past project? Is the default panning placement worth keeping or do most people prefer to do their own? I've always done my own but now I'm curious what the developers envision as ideal. Also, does anyone know where I can get a sample of the high pitch violin sound starting at 49 seconds of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBCO4ck2YI Thanks for all the help!

Re: Just a couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    For starters, forum needs some series cleanup as I haven't been able to log on for weeks and even now the page isn't fully loaded. So I had a couple of questions. I was trying to figure out what the controller number for panning was as I want to have a string part that traveled from left to right in my headphones. But then I found out that the pan controller is turned off by default because, as I read in a cakewalk forum, the instruments come pre-panned. I never knew this. Now I see that as soon as I pan the violins in Sonar the Aria knob quickly readjusts itself back to it's original position. This caused me to worry that maybe all along, in all my projects I was never actually adjusting the panning as it would automatically readjust itself. Fortunately I just opened up an old project and can see where the knob in Aria has remained consistent with the pan controller in the track view of Sonar. So here are my questions: What is the controller number to adjust the panning? For timbre/volume it's 1. What is it for panning? How come the knobs readjust themselves in my current project but not in past project? Is the default panning placement worth keeping or do most people prefer to do their own? I've always done my own but now I'm curious what the developers envision as ideal. Also, does anyone know where I can get a sample of the high pitch violin sound starting at 49 seconds of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBCO4ck2YI Thanks for all the help!
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane! Great to see you here. I know from our messages at Facebook that the Forum's functioning has been just too wonky for you to be able to join in much here, and I'm really sorry about that. Once in awhile we post about the various issues here, and recently we all had a weird error message whenever we posted - That was cleared up, and believe it or not, this place is working better for most of us than it has in awhile. But page loads are slow - a Lot of junk is loaded each time you click on a post or page. It's a pain.

But, glad to see your post, and I have your answers:

--MIDI Controller #10 controls panning.

I think you use Sonar like me? But it's the same in other DAW software - The controls in MIDI tracks of a host program control the corresponding controls in ARIA. So, when you try to set levels in ARIA, you need to use the sliders in your host program, and the same with panning. Use the pan pot in Sonar and it will control the panning in ARIA.

Your old project has some cc data in it which is being read, putting things where you want. Your new project has your pan jumping back to wherever the control is set in the MIDI track(s)--See?

I start with the default pannings, but each project is different, usually with some re-positioning needed.

That violin effect is definitely in Dimension, either LE or Pro - You know I tried to find it for you the other day, and I didn't manage to find it. But I used it in my "Vampyr" soundtrack, so I Know it's there somewhere. I'll try to set aside some time today to do a more thorough search.

Randy

So I figured something out and you're welcome to crucify me for my idiocy. The reason the pan kept changing back was because I create separate tracks specifically for Key Switches. This way if I want to transpose a pieceI don't have to worry about the strings playing trills. So I usually have 2 of the same track if I'm going to have key switching. My key switching track only contains the key switching notes.Also, I'm on my girlfriend's computer and all of the sudden I can log on fine. What gives? I guess that's just how it goes.Thanks for telling me which controller number the pan is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    So I figured something out and you're welcome to crucify me for my idiocy. The reason the pan kept changing back was because I create separate tracks specifically for Key Switches. This way if I want to transpose a pieceI don't have to worry about the strings playing trills. So I usually have 2 of the same track if I'm going to have key switching. My key switching track only contains the key switching notes.Also, I'm on my girlfriend's computer and all of the sudden I can log on fine. What gives? I guess that's just how it goes.Thanks for telling me which controller number the pan is.
    Naaah, I won't crucify you, Dane - not for that reason anyway.

Glad you figured it out. You had panning data in that keyswitch track, or its track header's pan pot was turned one way.

Hmmm, try to check out what kind of filters and stuff your GF's browser has. Something there must be blocking some of the junk that mucks up the Forum.

Randy

Go Back to forum