• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fantasy of the Spanish Pyrenees from "The Week Effort Collection"

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Fantasy of the Spanish Pyrenees from "The Week Effort Collection"

Well, this is the 4th installment in my “Week Effort Collection” that I’m trying to finish for piano. I’ve gotten so busy with “other stuff” in my life I find I can only put in 45 minutes to an hour max per day into composition. Sigh…..I might never finish this collection, at least it feels that way at present.

This piece is about the mountain chain that divides Spain from France. In my youth as a young lad (forty years ago…yikes!) I went to Europe a few times. One of the most memorable excursions was an overnight trip through the Spanish Pyrenees. I awoke that morning to the most beautiful sights, sounds and feelings I’ve ever experienced. The meadows, the lakes, the majestic mountains, the colorful Spanish villages, sensory overload. I still remember it all these years later as if I just returned from there. So I decided to write a piece of music to capture this reflection.

This is by far the longest piece in this collection I’m writing and someday…..I plan to orchestrate this one if and when I get back to orchestrating. Until then, this piano solo will have to suffice.

I decided to keep the listening perspective as wide as possible on this one so as to imitate an orchestra. Also set my reverb a little bit higher than norm for the same reason. Not really as you would hear it naturally on a piano, but I hear it in my head as an orchestral piece so I’m trying to create that sonic experience.

This piece is dedicated to Randy Bowser and his wife, Kate.. I’m sure Kate has supported you Randy, through all your compositional endeavors and given you ideas and insight into your own compositions throughout the years. Hence the dedication is different from the one I dedicated to you by yourself a couple months ago. I know, I know,............. you are not suppose to dedicated more than one piece to any individual, especially in the same collection. But I like breaking rules and not conforming to tradition. So there you have it. And besides, as much as I like the “Meadow Lark” it couldn’t help but feel it didn’t really standup and attest to your genius and willingness to help others. I feel this piece does and I’m now satisfied. I promise never to dedicated another piece to you Randy as long as I live. How’s that…..a deal?

This is my first time on youtube and making a quick, and rather rough video/slideshow to supplement my music. I’ve long lost my pictures of the trip so I used Google pics but they are similar to what I saw. Youtube doesn’t let you choose the thumbnail until you’ve been with them 30 days, hence the weird starting page.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy this outing. Brought back a lot of memories writing it.

Cass

Garritan Authorized Steinway underlid perspective

Fantasy of the Spanish Pyrenees Music mp3

Fantasy of the Spanish Pyrenees Score

Re: Fantasy of the Spanish Pyrenees from "The Week Effort Collection"

Bravo, Mister Cass!

I like your shifting tonal centers and changes of pace. You have a fertile musical mind. An overall very enjoyable piece of music. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My best to you.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Well, this is the 4th installment in my “Week Effort Collection”...I plan to orchestrate this one...
    This piece is dedicated to Randy Bowser and his wife. Randy, I’ll need to know your wife’s name so I can write it correctly in the score...I’m sure your wife, Randy, has supported you through all your compositional endeavors and given you ideas and insight into your own compositions throughout the years...

...you are not suppose to dedicated more than one piece to any individual, especially in the same collection. But I like breaking rules and not conforming to tradition. So there you have it. And besides, as much as I like the “Meadow Lark” it couldn’t help but feel it didn’t really standup and attest to your genius and willingness to help others. I feel this piece does and I’m now satisfied. I promise never to dedicated another piece to you Randy as long as I live. How’s that…..a deal?...
    !! - I could get used to this thing of having music dedicated to me - ! Goodness gracious I'm glad you found another rule that deserves breaking! But I feel more than sufficiently honored, Cass, so sticking with your promise to not dedicate more music to me is Fine--even though out of context that sounds so sad and final!

I emailed to my wife, Kate, at her office, as soon as I saw this post. She'll be thrilled, and I am sure she'll be as swept away by the music as much as I was/am. And you're so right in thinking she's always been totally supportive of my endeavors, and my inspiration.

Your wondrous compositional skills match your expert musicianship, Cass, taking this work beyond mere music into the upper atmosphere of true artistry. You're doing astonishing work and everyone who receives the blessing of hearing your music has their lives greatly enriched. I'm proud to know you through this Forum, and so happy from seeing the brilliant sunshine you beam out to the world.

I would love to see the Pyrenees, and now I've come as close I can with your wonderful post of music and images.

Thank you, Cass, with deep gratitude and appreciation of how well you're using your profound talent.

Randy

Cass, it is very nice. you must have had a wonderful time there to create this great music.
    Yes, while I do enjoy your piano, I can hear the orchestra, it would be wonderful!
    I hope that the "other" things holding you back from more composing is not related to your health. The ups and downs of your condition is no fun, I can believe but the prognosis as I learned is not different than any for any of us, so I hope you do not loose your optimism and keep working when you can.
    Thanks for posting this, I am overwhelmed as always with your music,
    hugs

Ted

This piece is amazing. I love the dynamics, the changes in tempo, the touch of ragtime and the harmonic language you used. I don't want to beat a dead horse but I think I remember you saying that you are self taught and that inspires me as well. I am taking a moratorium from composing to work on piano skills so I am not dependent on software to playback and edit what I write. If you can create at this level it gives me hope. You really have a voice that is your own. I hope you don't mind me asking whether it is difficult for you to learn your compositions well enough to play them?

Hey Cass! What a wonderful piece of music. The changes in mode, tempo and feel were very welcome sounds. I think that this would make a great orchestral piece. The authorized steinway has very nice sound to it and the reverb is just right. Thanks for the post. Jay

Great listening for a warm spring afternoon. Love the color and rhythm changes, very picturesque. Thanks!

My God Cass that was quite a piano tour de force!

I'm going to have to start calling you Franz. He,he. Your not staying in a monastery up there in the hills are you?

I sure would like to hear this orchestrated as a piano concerto? Maybe it could give the fingers a little break here and there. Whew!

Spectacular!

Phil

Cass, please post, I am worried about your silence... We all hope you are OK...

Ted

Hi all,

I am all right. This past week has been a comedy of errors, or should I say tragedy of errors. I was away for 5 days to visit friends in northern California for Memorial weekend. They had no computer there and neither did I. When I got back I tried to reply and found out my old computer went kaput. My computer must of caught it from Larry's!!

Went and got a new computer in San Diego. Came back home and found that the return key/enter key did not work on Northern Sounds postings. I couldn't return the "carriage" to go to the next line. I tried writing in Microsoft Word and to send emails. It worked fine in those programs.

Since I live in the hicks, no one else has a computer that I could borrow that was hooked up to the internet. So after two days of trying to get my "return" key to work , I finally (by accident) got it to work. That little A/A in the edit area of the posting window, the one in the upper lefthand corner just above the "B" for bold print was not on. I have no idea what that is for, but I'm sure it is not for turning your "enter" key on and off.

Any way, I'll start replying tomorrow to all your posts.

Sorry, I didn't mean to worry you Ted. Just one of those circumstances you don't see coming.

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast