• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO - a few really nice surprises

GPO - a few really nice surprises

There are some really interesting instruments in Garritan Personal Orchestra that I\'m really excited about - and I\'m a bit surprised that the beta team didn\'t lambast the demo pool with some of these entries.

First of all there\'s the Melton contratuba. As a low brass player, I know that I want to have this in my kit when I really want to sink to new lows. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Then there\'s all of the brass fortissimo overlay instruments, which carry the description: A different solo [instrument] played fortissimo and intended to be layered with other horns to create a brassier sound. I\'m looking forward to going big with each of these...

Then there are separate instruments for chromatic and glissando harp, as well as harp harmonics - for two separate instruments. I know that Gary made his initial reputation with the GigaHarp, but this is above and beyond the call of duty.

In the percussion section, aside from the requisite strikes and rolls, you get all kinds of odd toys and even an emulation of a glass harmonica and handbells.

For strings - some surprises are the \"lush\" instruments in all categories - as well as solo pizzicato. Coupled with all of the bowing and articulations that you would \"expect\", the potential here is seriously scary. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Woodwinds include some notable inclusions like E-flat clarinet as well as all four registers of flute. But the real kicker is the inclusion of no less than four oboes and \"flutter\" instrments for flute and picolo.

Put all of this together and you have the potential to create some HUGE ensembles with enough variety and subtlety to really wow the crowd. I\'ve got a few cues for spec work that I plan to re-arrange for GPO, and offer up both old and new mixes for people to compare and contrast. I also still have Respighi\'s \"Pines of Rome\" on the front burner, so the holiday season will definitely be interesting for me as this begins to take shape.

I certainly am glad that Garritan has really broken through with a pallette that is unmatched in the virtual instrument world. Thanks, Gary.

Stay tuned, folks, things are going to get interesting... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: GPO - a few really nice surprises

Awesome. You\'re making me drool. I can\'t wait for mine to arrive.

Thanks for those details!

UK- teeming with life....

Thanks Houston,

Excellent first mini-review in your excellent writing style.

Full review soon?

It sounds so exciting.....actually; I think I\'ve wet myself.....no problems though....high tech diapers......

It\'s hard believing that you\'re talking about a $250 package! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

OMG - I totally missed the piccolo trumpet! I don\'t have a part for it yet, but I\'m working on it...

As soon as I have something worth posting - comments or clips - you\'ll be the first to know. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum