• Register
  • Help

Topic: Song with Garritan Steinway: I Never Saw Blue Like That (Cover of Shawn Colvin)

Share/Bookmark

Song with Garritan Steinway: I Never Saw Blue Like That (Cover of Shawn Colvin)

Something a little different: One of my all-time favorite songs - I Never Saw Blue Like That.

I found a recording on YouTube by a user with a great voice, who was appealing for someone that could supply the piano accompaniment. She had just recorded it a capella. I was happy to oblige! It gave me a chance to learn a bit more about audio processing as well, which I don't have much experience in.

I have uploaded both her original voice-only version as well as my finished version here:

https://www.box.com/s/1lryomc7dwh97o8197yb

Piano is Authorized Steinway, under-the-lid perspective. Enjoy!
    Owen

Re: Song with Garritan Steinway: I Never Saw Blue Like That (Cover of Shawn Colvin)

!! What a fantastic project you set up for yourself, Owen - and the results are stunning. And it was an audio learning experience for you - I'd say you not only learned a lot while doing this, but went to the head of the class by the time you were finished.

What's the singer's name? Does she just love what you've done? She must!

What a warm and wonderful way to start the day - Thank you, Owen, and congrats on a job very well done.

Randy

Re: Song with Garritan Steinway: I Never Saw Blue Like That (Cover of Shawn Colvin)

Thanks for the encouragement, Randy! The singer goes by the YouTube name of Peytonellie. She's French, in case you had noticed a slight accent. Her channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/peytonellie

She hasn't heard it yet - I posted it here first. She has a good number of fans, so hopefully they'll all like it too!

Thanks again Randy for the vote of confidence!
    Best wishes from Indiana
    Owen

What a cool idea. Your accompaniment on this is very nice and the singer is just great. She must have been listening to something with earphones on to stay in such good pitch. Forum members like yourself, are sure coming up with cool projects lately. A very nice post. Jay

You did a great job on this Owen. I started hearing strings coming in, in my head so I checked the original and there they were. But just using the piano here gives it a very intimate feeling and the singer manages to pull it off with her strong but tender vocal performance.

Loved it!

Phil

Jay: Glad you liked it! Well, she didn't have headphones. Her pitch is very accurate, but her rhythm was not! Still, that was easy to fix in Home Studio. A case of dividing the audio into phrases and spacing them out to match the pace. That's the main reason the finished version is almost one minute longer than the original.

Phil: I was going to add strings, but decided it sounded pretty good as it is. She has such a commanding voice that it seems to need little support.

Go Back to forum