• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga via XP Question

Share/Bookmark

Giga via XP Question

Hi everyone.

Been very busy at the studio. Video projects [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was thinking about trashing WindowsME on my home system and going with XP. XP is doing very well here at the studio.(Windows side of the room)

Can Giga96 run on XP? And if so, is it easy to install the updated drivers?

Thank you,
    Frank

PS. I hope everyone is having a killer new year!

Re: Giga via XP Question

Dumping WinMe is the best thing you can do! It\'s the worst OS of the complete 95/98/Me/2k/XP range! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Giga works perfectly here under either XP or Win2k. Only Giga 2.5 and later run on these NT-platforms. With your registration info you can download it from Nemesys.

Maarten

Thanks Guys!!

I have heard that about ME. I have been doing well with it but now I am doing 720x480 video edits at home ... firewire card - DV Deck ... ME is not digging it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ve been running great on XP. However, I have heard from others that gig files take more percentage of RAM in XP. I haven\'t noticed any real difference, but some guys are saying that Windows 98 is the way to go.

Can someone elaborate on the Win XP RD ram issues with Giga? I have heard that it takes up more ram in Giga with the new RD ram.
    Currently i\'m using 512 megs with Win 98 and happy. Would 512 be less memory with the RD ram in Giga?
    I\'ve also been thinking of getting a new computer and want to know if there are any downsides with XP and Giga.

Thanks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I run giga very stably on ME and XP. The only drawback I have found with XP is that it is not direct sound compatible. So, you can not use say a SoundBlaster direct sound card. But, if you are already using a GSIF card this is not a concern.

Hi all.

I have XP now. So much better.

It found my Firewire ports and drives.
    XP informed me to update my MAudio drivers (did, works).

Video runs very smooth. Outputs to main monitor with no flicker.

Now all I have left to do is install Giga.

Here\'s my question. I have the install CD for Giga96, version (1. something) I think or it may be 2.0, not sure. Do I install what I have on CD and THEN grab and install 2.5?

Thank you.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    Hi all.

I have XP now. So much better.

It found my Firewire ports and drives.
    XP informed me to update my MAudio drivers (did, works).

Video runs very smooth. Outputs to main monitor with no flicker.

Now all I have left to do is install Giga.

Here\'s my question. I have the install CD for Giga96, version (1. something) I think or it may be 2.0, not sure. Do I install what I have on CD and THEN grab and install 2.5?

Thank you.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">NO!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you get this before you do. Download the latest build for XP--with your registration info you can access it on the website. Then install that, and you\'ll be good to go.

Bumpin for Bruce [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mayday, Mayday

-- --- --

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It\'s simple. Download the latest version from nemesys and install that. New releases are full installs, not patches.

And if you try to install the old (2.0?) version on the CD, it\'s probably not even XP compatible and may cause all kinds of problems.

HTH.

Go Back to forum