• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Next Rock Revolution 1976

Share/Bookmark

The Next Rock Revolution 1976

We now the venture back to the mid-sixties and at that time the British invasion was happening and there was also a commercially obscure New York City rock band called The Velvet Underground that was originally mentored by NYC Painter Andy Warhol. They pretty much invented the underground rock band as opposed to just being a garage band and is probably rocks most influential band over the decades. The main forces in this band were Lou Reed and John Cale. Lou Reed was a type of boogie guitar playing street poet and John Cale, british was classically trained and stretched out more musically.

A few years later a young man in the industrial mid-west named James Osterberg started a band called The Stooges and called himself Iggy Pop. They were considered by the rock press to be the dark side of the hippie movement. Rolling Stone Magazine called it incendiary rock for lack of a better name.

Later, Bands like The New York Dolls in NYC and Mott The Hoople in Britain caught on to it and also used this rough edged rock approach but they were all really just cult bands and no threat to the established acts that had come out of the sixties hippie movement and were starting to mellow out.

All these bands and ex-band members would have limited commercial success but there musical genes would survive being passed on to a younger generation.

In 1976 the gold standard for pop rock acts were artists like James Taylor, Cat Stevens and Carole King. It was said that at the time an amp could not be turned up past 1 in a rock club in LA or bands were using thousands of dollars worth of synths and keyboards. It was a time ripe for getting back to the basics of Rock N' Roll. Guitars, drums and Youth Rebellion!!

A young band named the S_xPistols under the management of Malcom Mclaren VIP began playing clubs in Britain and gaining a following. They were fronted by John Lyndon(Johnny Rotten), a scrappy underclass punk of poor irish upbringing with a vocal delivery more akin to Georges Danton(a french revolutionary) than Mick Jagger. The guitarist, Steve Jones had quite the criminal history with fourteen arrests before getting this gig. The vocals were anti-singing, designed to aggressively challenge an audience. The music was pretty basic high energy hard rock and designed to pound the lyrics into the listeners head similar to the beat music that would be called rap. I have to say that the beginning of Pretty Vacant sounds like the Who at their best.

Just the bands name at the time was over the top and even still censored on this site! Their first single was Anarchy In The UK. They weren't trying to fly under Britain's power structure's radar they were taking it head on. It was becoming apparent that the older hippie rock bands with their accumulated wealth, exorbitant life styles and also the singer/songwriters were becoming yesterday's music.

The S_x Pistols were originally dropped by E.M.I and the story goes that thousands of singles were destroyed in the process. There was blatant censorship going on, a sign that maybe all was not well in Jolly Old England. Finally a upstart record label, Virgin Records headed by a young Richard Branson, signed them.

Next up the S_x Pistols released God Save The Queen while Britain was preparing for Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee. It was one thing to challenge the British power structure but another to mock the Queen Of England. This was not at all acceptable but the record was a huge commercial success and a great rocker. It was the Hound Dog of what would become the Punk Rock genre.

The S_x Pistols would disintegrate after a short time but not before they released their album Never Mind The Bullock Here's The S_x Pistols. Bands like the Ramones and The Clash would reap the benefits of the punk rock revolution but when the Pistols were healthy and still performing they ruled. The punk rock scene would eventually burn out and give way to what is generally called the post punk rock era but there was left an undercurrent running through it all that connected post punk to the alternative music of The Velvet Underground.

In 1983 Rolling Stone Magazine listed Never Mind the Bullock Here's The S_x Pistols as the second greatest rock album just behind Sgt. Peppers.

Post Punk Rock Note:

A young woman named Susan Ballion was part of the entourage that was following the S_x Pistols around to the clubs. Susan joined the S_x Pistols on a live TV talk show where the host who claimed he was drunk sexually harassed Susan. He was lambasted by members of the S_x Pistols with expletive deletes. The show was cancelled and his career was later cancelled as well.

Some time later Susan got on stage and sang with a band as a dare and thus began the music career of Siouxie Sioux. Siouxie And The Banshees were one of the most creative, influential and productive band of the post punk era. She and fellow band drummer Budgie also put out albums under the name The Creatures that ventured into other genres like jazz. They influenced bands like Radio Head, The Police, U2, all considered post punk and also female singers like Madonna. Souxie And The Banchees never really quite broke in the U.S, probably because they were always pushing the envelope even when they were getting a little more commercial in the nineties.

Lyrics:

God save the queen
    The fascist regime
    They made you a moron
    Potential H-bomb

God save the queen
    She ain't no human being
    There is no future
    In England's dreaming

Don't be told what you want
    Don't be told what you need
    There's no future, no future,
    No future for you

God save the queen
    We mean it man
    We love our queen
    God saves

God save the queen
    'Cause tourists are money
    And our figurehead
    Is not what she seems

Oh God save history
    God save your mad parade
    Oh Lord God have mercy
    All crimes are paid

When there's no future
    How can there be sin
    We're the flowers in the dustbin
    We're the poison in your human machine
    We're the future, your future

God save the queen
    We mean it man
    We love our queen
    God saves

God save the queen
    We mean it man
    And there is no future
    In England's dreaming

No future, no future,
    No future for you
    No future, no future,
    No future for me

No future, no future,
    No future for you
    No future, no future
    For you

Re: The Next Rock Revolution 1976

This is just an aside (please forgive me). . . .

I know of The Velvet Underground quite well. Well, as good as my memory allows me to remember that group. Back in the days when I was a Hematology/Oncology Nurse, one of my patients was Sterling Morrison. Up until meeting him, I never heard of the group. Trust me. I'm not saying this to "name drop". I remember him mainly because of his like for music. In between supporting him as he experienced the nasty side-effects of chemotherapy, we talked about music. He had a portable CD player in his room and always had some kind of music on. It wasn't until the end of his stay that he confided in me that he was a band member of The Velvet Underground. I believe that it astounded him that I never heard of that group. (I hope it didn't disappoint him too much.) But he gave me a signed copy of one of their CD albums. (OK, NOW I'm "name-dropping"!! LOL!) He gave me that gift so that I might know him and the music that he played a little better. He has long passed away, otherwise I would not legally be able to talk about him. What I remember of him most is the horrible side-effects that he endured (most of my patient's back then were usually quite sick from either the disease or the chemotherapy) and his like for music. Without a doubt, music helped bring him a little Peace amongst the chaos. Now he's in Heaven with all of the other musicians who've since passed away. My HOPE is that they're all making sweet, sweet music together.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Fastlane - Oh come on

Never mind the bullock ?? What on earth is that supposed to mean. It's a young male cow, cow being the generic name for the animal as well as an indication of its "gender" - see I didn't use the naughty word. We have a saying over here - "calling a spade, a spade" - often followed by "not a (expletive) shovel"

The record was not censored here except by the Beeb which was, and still is, full of wets. - although you must admit, even by today's standards it's rubbish. It was all a bit "Kings New Clothes".

Why would this site censor the bands name, (or is it the naughty word again that makes you all blush that side of the pond)

Just the bands name at the time was over the top
    Not here it wasn't - we tend not to be quite so squeamish.

Sorry if I upset you, but you've led with your chin here and I can't help taking the P_ss - that's another English phrase used all the time, by the way - GO ON SMILE
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    This is just an aside (please forgive me). . . .

I know of The Velvet Underground quite well. Well, as good as my memory allows me to remember that group. Back in the days when I was a Hematology/Oncology Nurse, one of my patients was Sterling Morrison. Up until meeting him, I never heard of the group. Trust me. I'm not saying this to "name drop". I remember him mainly because of his like for music. In between supporting him as he experienced the nasty side-effects of chemotherapy, we talked about music. He had a portable CD player in his room and always had some kind of music on. It wasn't until the end of his stay that he confided in me that he was a band member of The Velvet Underground. I believe that it astounded him that I never heard of that group. (I hope it didn't disappoint him too much.) But he gave me a signed copy of one of their CD albums. (OK, NOW I'm "name-dropping"!! LOL!) He gave me that gift so that I might know him and the music that he played a little better. He has long passed away, otherwise I would not legally be able to talk about him. What I remember of him most is the horrible side-effects that he endured (most of my patient's back then were usually quite sick from either the disease or the chemotherapy) and his like for music. Without a doubt, music helped bring him a little Peace amongst the chaos. Now he's in Heaven with all of the other musicians who've since passed away. My HOPE is that they're all making sweet, sweet music together.
    That's a special story Ted. Too bad about the circumstances of your time with Sterling Morrison but I'm sure you were able to provide him with good care and some relief. I remember him as a talked about member of TVU back in the early seventies. Most people around our age probably have no idea who they were but I know for a fact that younger generations do and respect their contribution.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Fastlane - Oh come on

Never mind the bullock ?? What on earth is that supposed to mean. It's a young male cow, cow being the generic name for the animal as well as an indication of its "gender" - see I didn't use the naughty word. We have a saying over here - "calling a spade, a spade" - often followed by "not a (expletive) shovel"

The record was not censored here except by the Beeb which was, and still is, full of wets. - although you must admit, even by today's standards it's rubbish. It was all a bit "Kings New Clothes".

Why would this site censor the bands name, (or is it the naughty word again that makes you all blush that side of the pond)

Not here it wasn't - we tend not to be quite so squeamish.

Sorry if I upset you, but you've led with your chin here and I can't help taking the P_ss - that's another English phrase used all the time, by the way - GO ON SMILE

I was expecting a response from across the pond and I'll just have to take my uppance.

Great thread!

The particular word you mentioned, Phil, is on the list of censored words here at the Forum - S e x. Notice that with spaces between the letters, the silly censorship is bypassed. Power to the people - Right on!

Randy

I'd rather listen to Siouxie And The Banshees, mid to late 80's, perhaps "Peek-a-Boo".

Agreed. The 'Pistols' only did one LP, nothing musically interesting, and all of the back of the Bill Grundy interview. The Stranglers, Banshees and many more where the ones to leave a lasting musical legacy.

I think I'm going to watch The Filth And The Fury tonight on my Apple TV. I guess I missed that one.

Too bad they never made Who Killed Bambi which was going to be a punk rock version of A Hard Days Night. I see the late great Rodger Ebert co-wrote the script with Malcolm McLaren and it was going to be directed by Russ Meyer. He, he.

Phil

And let us not forget, whilst on the subject of revolution, that The rites of spring is a 100 years old this month.

Go Back to forum