• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best sites about composition and harmony?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Best sites about composition and harmony?

Hi Jake

Off the beaten track a bit, but have you thought about employing a tutor on a weekly (or whatever) basis. There\'s no substitute for having someone sit down and explain not just what something is but why and how it came to be, and to answer all your questions. I was taught at the RCM by the composer Philip Cannon (former pupil of Vaughan-Williams and Hindemith) and I have to say that without his thorough explanations and set studies in counterpoint and orchestration I would not have a nth of the knowledge I\'ve managed to acquire.

It might be worthwhile employing someone to help. It probably wont cost more than the average piano lesson fee and, with a mass of questions prepared by you for each lesson, you\'ll probably find that you\'ll learn a colossal amount in just a few months.

Best sites about composition and harmony?

Can anyone suggest good sites about composition and harmony? (Either classsical or jazz\\popular.)

There seem to be hundreds devoted to chords and scales (a subject I am no master of--see my post about what turned out to be the Hungarian minor scale), but I suspect I miss a lot when I just do a search.

I understand that I can\'t expect to get a formal education in composition in five easy pieces, but at the same time, I\'d like to broaden my understanding.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Best sites about composition and harmony?

Originally posted by TJ:
    Hi Jake

Off the beaten track a bit, but have you thought about employing a tutor on a weekly (or whatever) basis. There\'s no substitute for having someone sit down and explain not just what something is but why and how it came to be, and to answer all your questions. I was taught at the RCM by the composer Philip Cannon (former pupil of Vaughan-Williams and Hindemith) and I have to say that without his thorough explanations and set studies in counterpoint and orchestration I would not have a nth of the knowledge I\'ve managed to acquire.

It might be worthwhile employing someone to help. It probably wont cost more than the average piano lesson fee and, with a mass of questions prepared by you for each lesson, you\'ll probably find that you\'ll learn a colossal amount in just a few months.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great suggestion. And Hindemeth is a good study for melodic tension and release. Often when I\'m creatively stuck, I apply the Hindemeth \"degrees of tension\" to my problem melody and can quickly determine where the energy flow is getting stagnant.

Go Back to forum